Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

293,260 Views | 2678 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TexAgs91
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
will25u said:

Elon Musk: "My strong intuitive sense is that having a public platform that is maximally trusted and broadly inclusive is extremely important to the future of civilization. I don't care about the economics at all."

Going back to what the intent was originally supposed to be about. Love it.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
nortex97
AG
This could get out of hand real quick. Terrible cash flow, about to be more leveraged, pending 50%+ stock price crash. Something tells me this is not even a third of the way into this story/saga.
outofstateaggie
AG
Uproar over this is amazing to behold. Throwing the curtains open and watching the critters scatter.
BusterAg
AG
Please file a shareholder derivative suit. Please please please please
1836er
AG
"Twitter has become kind of the de facto town square, so it's really important that people have both the reality and the perception that they're able to speak freely…so there's no sort of behind-the-scenes manipulation, either algorithmically or manually," Musk told the TED Talk host.

https://www.outkick.com/elon-musk-ted-talk-highlights-free-speech-algorithm-manipulation-plan-b/
houag80
AG
If they reject the board would have to resign en masse for violating fiduciary duty to the shareholders. Musk has them by the ... short and curlier. Nicely done.
techno-ag
AG
Aggie Athlete Involved said:

He is selling the shares now in the pump for profit, they reject, price falls, he buys shares again, repeats this over and over till he made all the money he needs to pay outright. What a genius
They reject. Price falls. He buys majority share at a bargain price.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
aggiehawg
AG
nortex97 said:

This could get out of hand real quick. Terrible cash flow, about to be more leveraged, pending 50%+ stock price crash. Something tells me this is not even a third of the way into this story/saga.
Yeah, Elon can play that game all day and the only thing that results is putting twitter effectively into bankruptcy if it goes on long enough. If I were running Morgan Stanley I'd be hedging the hell out of this, lots of exposure here.
Chef Elko
AG
Does Elon have the ability to buy shares after announcing his initial position? Or does he own too much and would have to announce additional positions?
Keegan99
AG
If Elon is intent on owning Twitter, he will own Twitter.

The golden rule still applies. He who has the gold rules.

What should scare the hell out of the Twitter board is that Elon has made it clear that this is about principles, not finances.
BusterAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

nortex97 said:

Yeah, Elon can play that game all day and the only thing that results is putting twitter effectively into bankruptcy if it goes on long enough. If I were running Morgan Stanley I'd be hedging the hell out of this, lots of exposure here.

Pretty sure a bankruptcy trustee would sell Twiiter to him. Will take a while, but it would work.
BMX Bandit
houag80 said:

If they reject the board would have to resign en masse for violating fiduciary duty to the shareholders. Musk has them by the ... short and curlier. Nicely done.

Not if Goldman gives them analysis that says don't.
TxTarpon
He needs to get the boot....
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
DargelSkout
AG
I feel like I'm watching Billions in real life.
TarponChaser
BMX Bandit said:

houag80 said:

Gonna be hard to do that when their public analysis has TWTR as a "sell" at $30/share.

Hey, Goldman Sachs, were you lying then or are you lying now?
will25u
TarponChaser said:

BMX Bandit said:

houag80 said:

Gonna be hard to do that when their public analysis has TWTR as a "sell" at $30/share.

Hey, Goldman Sachs, were you lying then or are you lying now?
Is that against the law? Market manipulation? Say Twitter is worth $30 before a hostile takeover, then say something much more after?
FTAG 2000
AG
BMX Bandit said:

houag80 said:

Goldman recently issued a price target of $30. Good luck to them trying to about face to double that.
nortex97
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

BMX Bandit said:

houag80 said:

Goldman recently issued a price target of $30. Good luck to them trying to about face to double that.
It was 30-36 I believe. Also, this team will have a different job; valuing the company in real terms, long term, for it's owners vs. advice for investors looking at the stock.

Goldman Sachs…knows how to play the game, to put it kindly. This isn't an outfit that can be shamed based on previous cautious statements.
aggiehawg
AG

Goldman tripped over their d***s, again.
Gigemags382
AG
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-wants-to-destroy-twitters-rules-183353887.html

"If Twitter really had no rules, it would be a total cesspool," Paul Barrett, deputy director of NYU Stern's Center for Business and Human Rights, told Yahoo Finance.

Buffoons. Lol.
will25u
sharpdressedman
will25u said:

Elon Musk: "My strong intuitive sense is that having a public platform that is maximally trusted and broadly inclusive is extremely important to the future of civilization. I don't care about the economics at all."
This is a statement reflecting ultimate commitment to a cause.

I agree with others here who believe EM will succeed, whether via the success of his offer or a hostile takeover.

However, I perceive the largest impediment to his acquisition is the leftist government infrastructure (IRS, SEC, DOJ) that is sufficiently powerful to create whatever obstacles are necessary to block him.
will25u
TRM
AG
aggiehawg said:

Goldman tripped over their d***s, again.
To be fair, Goldman is often wrong. They were surprised at the surge of inflation in 2021 expecting it to be at 2%
texagbeliever
sharpdressedman said:

will25u said:

This is a statement reflecting ultimate commitment to a cause.

I agree with others here who believe EM will succeed, whether via the success of his offer or a hostile takeover.

However, I perceive the largest impediment to his acquisition is the leftist government infrastructure (IRS, SEC, DOJ) that is sufficiently powerful to create whatever obstacles are necessary to block him.

There is a public perception limit here though. Musk is appealing to moderates. Attacking him is a losing political position, especially for a democratic party there is very dependent on 20s&30s for gotv efforts.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Also, this team will have a different job; valuing the company in real terms, long term, for it's owners vs. advice for investors looking at the stock.

This.

Wabs
AG
will25u said:

This in direct opposition to Marxist and authoritarian philosophies, so naturally the left will be against it.

And its glorious to see.
BTHOtrolls
AG
rwpag71 said:

will25u said:

How long before they announce that grief counselors will be made available to employees?

Once Musk announces that Twitter HQ are relocating to Texas
Retired FBI Agent

https://tips.fbi.gov/
1-800-225-5324
aggiehawg
AG
Why I added the "again." My opinion of the leadership at Goldman is that they are barely above that was at Lehman's and we all know how that turned out.
Retired FBI Agent
Dr. Patel coming in hot.

https://tips.fbi.gov/
1-800-225-5324
BusterAg
AG
will25u said:

Town Square is a buzzword that has section 230 implications. He's bringing the other side of the argument into play to make Twitter talk out of the other side of its mouth. Excellent strategy.

Twitters position has to be that they want the ability to moderate anything they want to with impunity, but we're still not a publisher. They have to make both of those arguments in the same case.
American Hardwood
AG
BTHOtrolls said:

rwpag71 said:

will25u said:

How long before they announce that grief counselors will be made available to employees?

Once Musk announces that Twitter HQ are relocating to Texas
Has it been reported that Twitter is removing all sharp objects from their employees yet? Would be a good indicator.
Rockdoc
AG
Boy the liberals on f16 are really unhappy about this development. Kinda telling.
chase128
AG
Have they even said anything? Seems awfully quiet today

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.