Elon makes all-cash offer to take Twitter private

293,214 Views | 2678 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TexAgs91
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I find it interesting that people want Twitter to die, and yet there's over a dozen links to tweets posted here.
I tried canceling my twitter account for awhile (I've never tweeted anything in my life or linked a tweet here), but it made this politics board almost unusable, because nearly every thread has twitter links embedded that I couldn't see. You definitely have a point.

I think most would be happy with Twitter losing their political slant. People can ***** and moan about moderators being necessary to combat misinformation, but when 99% of their moderation is focused on what progressive moderators perceive (rightly and/or wrongly) "right wing misinformation", while completely ignoring left wing misinformation, then that is a problem much worse than the misinformation itself. They've allowed Twitter to become a left wing propaganda machine and many of its strongest adherents have become completely brainwashed because of it. Just read the comments section after any conservative public figure posts, the comments are completely unhinged and detached from reality. The political slant of moderation needs to be extinguished if it's going to continue being one of the largest platforms for public discourse.

IMO part of the problem is that even the moderators believe they are unbiased, because they believe that the left wing narratives are the truth because that's what they believe to be true. This also extends to left wing people looking in from the outside. They believe the DNC propaganda is the gospel and that any arguments to the contrary are false. Therefore, they believe the moderation is fighting misinformation, but they fail to recognize the misinformation that they are peddling, because their biases are confirmed by eleventy billion other tweeters that are also not being moderated.
HTownAg98
Rockdoc said:

HTownAg98 said:

I find it interesting that people want Twitter to die, and yet there's over a dozen links to tweets posted here.

We don't want Twitter to die. We want the left's muzzle on free speech to die.
You're not going to like it if it's 100% free speech. If it goes that route, it will turn into 8chan or 8kun or whatever the hell it is now and will go away for good.
texaglurkerguy
Another angle to this: if Twitter is for sale, what's to stop the big tech conglomerates from outbidding Elon?
aezmvp
texaglurkerguy said:

Another angle to this: if Twitter is for sale, what's to stop the big tech conglomerates from outbidding Elon?
Having cash on hand to do the job.
Proc92
texaglurkerguy said:

Musk gets that premium on his 9% holdings.
HTownAg98
aezmvp said:

texaglurkerguy said:

Having cash on hand to do the job.
He's going to be using debt as well to get the deal done.
TRADUCTOR
Techno King!
Techno King gonna Techno King.
javajaws
AG
I hope he changes the Twitter bluebird to a cardinal just so I can watch liberal's heads explode.
Marcus Brutus
texaglurkerguy said:

The other tech companies are as woke as Twitter. Why would they want that garbage company? If you're not going to change it, which they would not, then it's not worth buying.

GS has a sell on the stock at $30. It's a dog with fleas and always has been.
GeorgiAg
AG
nortex97
AG
"Our friends" the Saudis. If anyone is worth trusting on social media/censorship…
HTownAg98
One thing I haven't figured out is what changes could be made that would make the company profitable? If the response is "more free speech, and stop silencing the right," I'm not sure that argument holds water, as the growth hasn't really changed from before they started banning people on the right to what it is now.

There's Instragram millionaires, YouTube millionaires, Facebook millionaires. Where are the Twitter millionaires?
texaglurkerguy
Marcus Brutus said:

texaglurkerguy said:

The other tech companies are as woke as Twitter. Why would they want that garbage company? If you're not going to change it, which they would not, then it's not worth buying.

GS has a sell on the stock at $30. It's a dog with fleas and always has been.
Twitter has been famously poor at monetizing its platform compared to Meta/Google. Political slant of the company culture may not change, but profitability might.

Alternative perspective, if Big Tech really is in cahoots with the political left to maintain a stranglehold on public discourse, buying out Twitter to keep it in the sphere of influence seems like low hanging fruit.
GeorgiAg
AG
hmmm.....

Foreverconservative
I promise you the anti-trust lawyers in Big Tech Silicon Valley phones are on fire right now with all of the companies like Google and Facebook and everybody else plotting against some way to get around anti-trust laws to buy Twitter themselves just to block Elon Musk from getting it
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Squadron7
AG
Elon isn't done yet.....

nortex97
AG
Interesting that he would be willing to over-pay for both.
BAP Enthusiast
GeorgiAg said:

Can individual shareholders block this kind of sale or is this a meaningless gesture?
Keegan99
AG
There's no veto power, but every shareholder gets votes.

That's 5.2% in the "No" column.
agracer
AG
Squadron7 said:

Elon isn't done yet.....

That's Gold Jerry, GOLD!
aezmvp
Squadron7 said:

Elon isn't done yet.....

I miss when imao.us was funny and readable.
RedHand
AG
Whitetail said:

Goodby @Jack. Hello @theRealDolanld.

Jack doesn't run twitter anymore. He was basically ousted by the far left leaning new CEO.
Squadron7
AG
aezmvp said:

Squadron7 said:

Elon isn't done yet.....

I miss the old blogosphere. Much better time for the internet tubes than all of the "gated communities" like Twitter and Facebook, etc. which are all run by the kind of people who love being on Homeowner's Association Boards.
thirdcoast
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

Funny that talking heads are also saying exact opposite. Love to see that woke bod is in lose lose

EKUAg
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

GeorgiAg said:

Can individual shareholders block this kind of sale or is this a meaningless gesture?

So Alwaleed pops back up. He is more fundamentalist and opposes MBS.
aezmvp
Squadron7 said:

aezmvp said:

Squadron7 said:

Elon isn't done yet.....

I miss the old blogosphere. Much better time for the internet tubes than all of the "gated communities" like Twitter and Facebook, etc. which are all run by the kind of people who love being on Homeowner's Association Boards.
We're old 7.
nortex97
AG
cap-n-jack
DOJ moving on Tesla now per Clay and Buck. Our overlords will not stand for this.
Showertime at the Bidens
GeorgiAg said:

Biden Administration: Hey, we need some help here, we'll throw in some military arms sales and keep the war quiet in Yemen

Suadi Prince: Done
Rockdoc
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Rockdoc said:

HTownAg98 said:

You're not going to like it if it's 100% free speech. If it goes that route, it will turn into 8chan or 8kun or whatever the hell it is now and will go away for good.

Surprise! I don't use Twitter. And I do understand why you're displeased with this development.
thirdcoast
AG
I guarantee Biden admin is pushing SEC and FCC to block this takeover. The dems simply can't afford an uncensored media platform. This is the next chapter to the story....the US gov will intervene. So predictable.
Demosthenes81
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Rockdoc said:

HTownAg98 said:

Still waiting for downside...
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Squadron7
AG
Quote:

I'll take that over the status quo: Banning the Babylon Bee for being effective.
aggiehawg
AG
Well this isn't an LBO but still reminded me of this hysterical movie that actually happened with the takeover of RJR Nabisco.

will25u
I am not seeing much on this, but if true....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.