Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Time to buy HDY

239,845 Views | 1784 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Decay
thirdcoast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TA video for the chartists here:
http://www.qualitystocks.net/videocharts.php
Phat32
AG
go baby go
JonathanRyder
chartists
Eliminatus
AG
Would it be a good time to jump on now??
thirdcoast
AG
Like I have said this thing is very hard to time.

Its heavily day traded and still apparently heavily shorted. Ray has stated that everything has been de-risked other than the geology taking a lot of speculation out, but pps is not reflecting that as we approach drilling.

I expected a big squeeze on shorts after Ray updated Kramer with the facts and realities on national TV.

I would try to accumulate more before mid-june...hard to believe shorts will expose themselves to the possibility of higher reserve estimates.
thirdcoast
AG
wow, I did not expect to see an increase

I suspect there has been significant covering since 5-13, between the drillship PR and now....guess time will tell as we continue to monitor.
Eliminatus
AG
Yeah. I'm not sure either. Hell, I can't lie I'm a newcomer to this field and my knowledge is extremely limited right now.
Charles Bronson
Surely short interest has gone way down in past week and a half or so right? Price has seen a steady climb on relatively high volume since the $3.20-3.30 range around that date. I hope there are still 14-16 million outstanding short shares when 3D comes out (assuming it's as good as Ray and co. have been hinting at), just considering the possibility that many of these traders/funds have been covering in an somewhat organized manner. When will the next report come out?

[This message has been edited by Charles Bronson (edited 5/26/2011 9:33a).]
thirdcoast
AG
I also hope short interest has not declined too much with the rise from $3.25 to $4.50. That would mean there is even more pop in the pps now. I think some of the short pop was taken out with the drillship PR...plenty of short interest holding out though. 5-10% of the shares outstanding are likely still short at the moment...thats a hell of a lot of obligated buyers that will need to fight for shares if 3D is sexy.

I assume these shorts are generally hedging at this point, if not they are much bigger gamblers than us longs or they are the type of morons that trade off motely fool "articles".

When exactly will we see the NSAI 3D report?
Not sure, that answer is much more crucial for shorts so Im not that disappointed we dont have a date. All we know is that it will be released a month after HDY hands the data package to NSAI. As of 4-27 Ray had not handed it off yet, therefore I would guesstimate NSAI received it by Mid-Late May at the very latest...which would put its release at Mid-Late June conservatively.

Could be later with an unforeseen event, hopefully EARLIER at the shorts expense

JonathanRyder
quote:
HDY will be added to Russel 2000 soon...

im not sure how you know this unless you work for Russell Investments. seems like speculation to me
thirdcoast
AG
Right, good catch, my mistake. Should have re-phrased. I speculate they will be added.
Phat32
CW2011
AG
Up to 4.73 today, still a good time to get in? or should I wait for a pull back?
Charles Bronson
Still a great time imo from a long perspective. If you're looking for a quick buck, no tellin. Shawty has got to be real nervous as the price begins to edge towards $5. Would be nice to get a late Friday push to force shorts into panic mode.
heisatouchdown
AG
I'm moving 40% of my shares I bought at 3.80ish right now, I'm going to hold on to the others to hope to hit $5, also if it dips back down I can get back in too.
thirdcoast
AG
For all looking to time entry

This thread provides info on upcoming events and technical info on current (not future) price action. This stock is very volatile , pull backs are probable but not guaranteed. Dont remember exactly, but there was about 25-30 trading sessions in a row that were green when we went up to the 7.50 range.

Crap shoot in the short term.

Here is the focus:
There is oil, lots of it. HDY is going to drill this 4th qtr.

Mad Money throws out terms like "unstable" and "controversial", if you buy that wait till they prove reserves and Cramer gives it a solid rec...Just be ready to pay up big time.
thirdcoast
AG
Another way to monitor shorts

http://www.dataexplorers.com/products/data

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 5/27/2011 11:50p).]
cincoaggie86
Contracts signed today for drilling stuff...what next?
JonathanRyder
thirdcoast
AG
3D report and drilling locations.
thirdcoast
AG
And Possible Russell index inclusion.
cincoaggie86
If there's good news from those events, will the price shoot up now that there are more eyes on it since it was on cramer?
thirdcoast
AG
No telling, my goal is to accumulate as many shares as possible bc price will go up when they prove reserves. I have yet to see anything but progress in that regard. This is why you invest in HDY, the current price action is why you trade it.

IMO these dips/pull backs are a gift and a reason to snatch up loose shares.

Buy some cheap $5 calls for July.

thirdcoast
AG
nice chart, jryder
bayouaggie
AG
Picked up some shares today at $4.10. Let's go!
Charles Bronson
Nice bayou, wish i had the cash available to do so. I am not a trader by any means, but i almost sold a chunk in the $4.40's yesterday to see if i could make a moderate short term gain, but chickened out and cancelled my sell order, would have been nice to be able to scoop up some free shares.
JonathanRyder
quote:
This is why you invest in HDY, the current price action is why you trade it.

IMO these dips/pull backs are a gift and a reason to snatch up loose shares.

this all seems to be contradicting. which one is it? you are telling people to buy the stock, then you say to buy the options. you say to invest, then you say to trade and then you say to buy the calls for cheap. and yes, the calls are cheap and this "trade" could work. but if the stock stays at these prices and come the 3rd friday in july the stock hasnt broken the 5 dollar mark, those options expire worthless.

so now the so called "investor" who bought those july 5 dollar calls has lost X amount of dollars (losing 100%) instead they could have "invested" the same amount of X dollars in the stock. so now july has passed and it is now august and he has proven reserves. the stock shoots up to 10 dollars overnight.

the stock is trading at 4.30 at the moment. this is pretty much a call, but without a time frame to screw over the regular guy.

just buy the stock if you believe in the company

[This message has been edited by JonathanRyder (edited 6/3/2011 11:41a).]
Charles Bronson
what are you talking about?

[This message has been edited by Charles Bronson (edited 6/3/2011 12:33p).]
Charles Bronson
RobertLudlum = Jonathan Ryder???

Can't decide which one sounds whinier.
thirdcoast
AG
Jryde, I am not telling anyone to trade or invest, I am just separating the two. FYI, you can trade and invest at the same time without being contradicting.

Anyone who is interested in buying options should know the risks, and certainly should know that $5 option expiring below $5 are worthless....but thanks for clearing that up for us.

I have bought calls and shorted puts, overall I have made much more than I have lost, allowing me to accumulate a bigger investment position.

I am not sure why you are here posting blank charts while nit-picking others. Perhaps you should go back to the general board where you belong.

People come to the B&I board for worthwhile information.
JonathanRyder
quote:
what are you talking about?

CB, my point exactly. you have no clue what you are doing.

quote:
I am not sure why you are here posting blank charts while nit-picking others.

im nitpicking because things need to be straightened up around here. i believe the stock is going higher, but then you tell someone to buy some july 5 dollar calls, like it is a foregone conclusion that they will make money. this is never the case with options.

quote:
People come to the B&I board for worthwhile information.

i certainly hope people are not basing their retirement money on the guys who post on this board. i can go back and find many threads of "worthwhile" information that proved to be anything but that.
Charles Bronson
quote:
CB, my point exactly. you have no clue what you are doing.

No, you have no clue, you are whining about nothing. Nowhere in this thread does the OP recommend trading this stock in the short term...in fact, pretty much the entire thread is dedicated to the opposite...using as much info at our disposal as possible to either go long, or choose a different way to make $$$. Now is this stock an advanced day trader or hedge fund's dream? Absolutely, but quit making sh** up just because you are having a bad day. Did you just graduate or are you still in school? Did mom recently issue you an ultimatum to start doing your own laundry instead of playing on the PC all day? It's been a while, but I've been in your shoes...hang in there.

[This message has been edited by Charles Bronson (edited 6/3/2011 2:31p).]
thirdcoast
AG
oh, I see you came here to argue, maybe the politics board is where you belong.

I have repeatedly stressed the level of risk and speculation of this stock as well as its potential for reward. I have even offered several disclaimers is if I cared about the strangers here.
quote:

like it is a foregone conclusion that they will make money. this is never the case with options.

Once again you insult everyone's intelligence here by pointing out obvious facts. Why dont you start a thread on a high interest savings account if you want to help people get a guaranteed return.

PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GETTING WITH THIS THREAD, you have to look no further than the OP. If you dont like it, short it or move along.
thirdcoast
AG
JRyde, before we all completely ignore your worthless posts.
Why did you post a blank chart?
JonathanRyder
quote:
Nowhere in this thread does the OP recommend trading this stock in the short term.

CB, great point you make here. yet here is what ur boyfriend 3rdcoast said.

quote:
the current price action is why you trade it.

quote:

so either you are a moron or delusional. either way you cant be helped and should never post on this board again. you are beyond salvage and cant be reasoned with. it's like arguing with idiots.

now 3rdcoast, im not bashing your "investment" just stating that you have been spewing a bit of conjecture on this thread. you put out there blanket statements, that is really more so just guess work.

quote:
HDY will be added to Russel 2000 soon...

quote:
So price will remain unchanged, drift down, or begin to climb in the near future.

again, i like the stock, but all this guess work, suppositions and conjecture is all futile. no need for this on the board. either the lemmings buy the stock or they dont.

[This message has been edited by JonathanRyder (edited 6/3/2011 3:05p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.