Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Time to buy HDY

240,134 Views | 1784 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Decay
BT1395
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just filled my order for 20 contracts for the June 2012 $3 call @ $.45 each. Like Blue Eyes said above, this is just a way to leverage a gamble. Nothing more, nothing less...

Here's to finding the black stuff!
TxAg20
AG
I'm unfamiliar with equity options. How would I go about buying $3 calls for april, may, or june. How many shares in a contract? Is it something I can do through my Scottrade account?
BT1395
AG
quote:
I'm unfamiliar with equity options. How would I go about buying $3 calls for april, may, or june. How many shares in a contract? Is it something I can do through my Scottrade account?

I just lost my Options virginity on the above trade, so please take the following advice/thoughts with that in mind...

You normally have to be approved by your online broker for options trading since you technically trade on margin. I use TD Ameritrade and had no problem getting this feature switched on for my account.

Once you've got that established, you can look into the Options Chain on most equities to see what the pricing looks like for the various points in time and strike points. In my case, like Blue Eyes, I figured HDY would be WELL above $3 if they find oil by June. If that happens, then for every options contract I bought, I will have the right to buy 100 shares of HDY stock at $3 on the exercise date regardless of the underlying stock's market price that day. Or I could sell the option contracts themselves before the magic date. Or they could find that they just dug a really, really expensive dry well and the stock (and my call options contracts) go to crap.

The bottom line to me was that this was a cheaper way to leverage a gamble on HDY (which is all that stock really is anyway...a gamble). For a relatively small price, I have less $ on the table than if I bought more actual shares of the equity itself.
thirdcoast
AG
Generally need a decent job and at least $2k in your acct to be approved for margin and basic option privileges (long options and covered sells)

To sell naked you gotta meet more criteria....very few lose their virginity with options naked.

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 2/9/2012 7:03p).]
thirdcoast
AG
Piag,

I see you asking others to disclose positions and orders...you are also making price predictions.

Just curious, got any skin in the game?
Willing to disclose your own orders real time?

excuse me if I missed your disclosure...this thread is a bit long.

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 2/9/2012 7:14p).]
arson keg
TxAg

one contract is for 100 shares. So, if you buy the June 2012 $3 call for $.40, you are paying $.40 per share x 100 shares = $40. That gives you the option to buy the stock for $3 any time between now and when the option expires (June 15th).

Theoretically, the further out you go, the higher the premium between the option contract price and strike price. As you get closer, that gap narrows.

From a math standpoint, if you actually plan on using the options to buy the shares, the price has to get to $3.40/share for you to break even (since you've already paid out the $.40 share up front).

However, since this stock is going to either blaze up or crash and burn depending on the drilling results, the options are a way to put less money on the table and achieve greater results than buying the stock itself.

For example, let's throw out the following assumptions (these numbers are strictly for illustrative purposes): Stock is $2.20 today. If the well is a dud, the stock goes to $.90/share (value of options goes to $0). If the well logs are good and it looks like paydirt, the stock spikes to $5 (the $3 options spike to $2.50). Remember, HDY is all about volatility at this point.

And, let's assume you want to spend $3k on this stock.

$3k will buy you ~1,363 shares.

If it's a dud, your $3k turns in to $1,227 (loss of $1,773). If it spikes, your $3k turns in to $6,818 (gain of $3,818).

Now, if you're willing to stomach losing the $1,773, look at the option side. $1,773 will buy 44 contracts for the June $3 call. If it's a dud, you're out the same $1,773. However, if it spikes on good news, your $.40 call turned in to a $2.50 call that you can sell/flip (worth $11k, or a gain of $9,227).

So, you have to put $3k on the line to make $3,818 buying the stock, or put $1,773 on the line to make $9,227 doing the options.

The catch?

For one, if the drilling results don't come out by the option date, it's a bust (this is why I went with the June 2012 options, to give them 4 more months to get this well finished).

Two, if you hold the stock and it tanks to $.90, you still have shares that could rise in the future to gain your loss back (whereas the options expire worthless and you're just flat out that money).

You just have to weigh the pros/cons and determine your level of gamble. For me, this stock is going to be a clear busto / boom spike depending on the drilling results. If it's a bust, I have ZERO confidence in waiting for them to re-group, raise more money, find another prospect, get it drilled, and make some headlines, all in the name of getting my money back. I'd just sell my position and put what's left in another investment. Thus, the options are the best for me, because I'm betting on the spike, that the positive results come in before the option expiration, and yield a much greater return on my investment vs. buying the stock at $2.20

[This message has been edited by Blue-eyes (edited 2/9/2012 8:01p).]
ClickClack
AG
Well explained blue-eyes
BT1395
AG
Well said, Blue Eyes...blue parachute for you!

Posts like that (and the OP) are why I read this board.
Ragoo
AG
full disclosure, i hold 2600 shares at 2.49

also, i plan to sell if/when it ever touches 3.40-3.50 again. was my plan when i bought.
piag94
AG
thirdcoast,
I have stated many times (yes, it is a long thread), that I don't have a position but I have some good friends who are quite leveraged with stock/calls, so I am cheering for this thing.
piag94
AG
I don't want to turn this into an options class, but VERY, VERY rarely to you ever buy the stock if you have said options. You just sell the options. You would make more money doing that anyway, because you also have time value added into to the price of the option.
TxAg20
AG
Thanks for the options advice guys. I'll call Scottrade and see what I need to do to buy options. I've been holding between 2500 and 7500 shares of this since I first started reading this thread. I think I'll hold onto the 2500 shares I have now and buy June $3 options for another 5000 shares.

I'm somewhat familiar with commodity options as I hedge crude oil through 3 way collars, but I have an introducing broker that actually places all my orders.
piag94
AG
buy June $3 options for another 5000 shares
-----------------
remember, when you buy options you're buying the "right" to purchase shares at said amount, but you'd be dumb to do that. If the price goes up, then sell the call. You are making more money when you do that.
TxAg20
AG
Wait, what?

I'm gambling that HDY is going to have favorable results with Sabu 1. I want around 7500 shares of exposure to this bet. I am currently holding 2500 shares. If they hit oil, I wish I was holding 7500 shares. I want the option to buy 5000 shares in June at $3/share. I want to buy $3 June calls.
piag94
AG
lets say HDY goes to $5...

You can now exercise your 50 contracts but you'll have to come up with 15K...or

you sell your 50 contracts for $2.30 (or close). That would net you $11.5 WITHOUT having to come up with 15K to buy the shares.
TxAg20
AG
I see what you mean. I thought you were saying I should sell June $3 calls today rather than buy them.
Ragoo
AG
So by selling the contracts you profit without ever buying the stock.
LihaiAg06
AG
Can anyone provide information about the ship that is headed to Sabu? Is today just a rebound from yesterday?
AFarmer95
AG
I love this stock. Up over 7% today
DamnbullAg
AG
Check out CIE if you want to see what happens when positive results are released on a drilled well. These guys are in Angola as opposed to Guinea, but the stock has been up and down until the big news was released. I'd take half as good results with HDY.
TxAg20
AG
Limit Order Placed

Thank you! Your order to Buy To Open 50 Contracts of HDY 3.00 JUN 12 C (HYPERDYNAMICS CORPORATION) at Limit Price of $0.40 has been submitted. Duration of order is Good Till Date on 2/14/2012 4:00:00 PM.

I just put in my first equity option order. Bid/ask was $.40/$.45.
piag94
AG
TC,
HDY will stay in a range between $2-4 until they hit oil or crap out. IMO, nothing is in place to depress the stock price or increase it. The movement in HDY is EXACTLY what happens to stocks like this all day, everyday. Just keep watching the put/call buys. When you start seeing big lots go through, then follow that leader.

arson keg
One bit of advice on the options:

this is a boom or bust play, no middle of the road. they hit pay, boom. lack of pay, bust.

if the bid/ask spread is $.40 x $.45, that means there are already people in line ahead of you at $.40. Do you want to worry about that nickel when you're looking at a 5 fold increase?

Not me. The spread was $.25 x $.40 when I placed my $.30 order for the June $4 calls. I wanted to move to the front of the line to GET IN. If the spread was only a nickel, I would just put in an order for $.45 and MAKE SURE you get your order filled. Otherwise, if this stock bounces up to $2.75 or more, that premium is going to $.50+ and you're just chasing at that point.

Remember, this is a boom/bust option play. don't be too greedy, just get it done.
thirdcoast
AG
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/strangle.asp

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 2/10/2012 7:38p).]
0708aggie
AG
Drilling completed. Let the fun begin.
moses1084ever
AG
With final well results to be announced at the shareholder meeting?
thirdcoast
AG
http://investors.hyperdynamics.com/releaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=648056
Sims
AG
Also good to see the Jasper Explorer being released - if there was a weak link that seems to be it.

Hopefully they prove a working system, find a JV partner and contract a good driller.
0708aggie
AG
Anyone buying shares this morning?
04.arch.ag
AG
50,000+ already this morning... up to 2.51 pre market
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
Anyone buying shares this morning?

Unfortunately I've got plenty.
0708aggie
AG
Oh me too. I just dont want to miss out on cheap shares to average down if there really is oil.
arson keg
as a petroleum engineer, I'm not quite sure how to interpret their press release. I was hoping for something more along the lines of "HDY logged XXX feet of hydrocarbon pay across their target zone of interest" or something similar. The release just seems rather vague and not as encouraging as I was hoping for.
Dub_Ag
a slightly sobering take on the PR:

Quick Take: While Hyperdynamics was finally able to reach TD of 11,844’ at the Sabu-1 exploration well in offshore Guinea, results appear to be inconclusive at this point. The Company indicated that wireline analysis “warranted” the collection of fluid samples, but the absence of any gross hydrocarbon column measurements makes us wonder if there were any commercial amounts logged in the wellbore. The fluid samples and sidewall cores are being sent to Core Lab for further analysis. As expected, the Jasper Explorer rig is being released likely due to the multitude of problems the rig experienced through the drilling of Sabu-1. In our opinion, the next step for HDY is likely to raise capital through a combination of bringing in another partner (selling down 77% interest) and possibly follow on equity issuances before resumption of drilling in offshore Guinea is able to occur.
LihaiAg06
AG
hmmm...any idea how long this testing takes?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.