Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Time to buy HDY

233,929 Views | 1784 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Decay
10thYrSr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Without looking too far into it....it appears that the prospects are favorable. Here is an interesting article:

quote:
A geophysical survey off the coast of Sierra Leone was carried out in April 1983 and September 1985 to investigate the structure of the West African continental margin between the Guinea and Sierra Leone fracture zones. A large (>100 mGal) free-air gravity anomaly and an associated negative magnetic anomaly show that the basic igneous complex of the Freetown Peninsula extends northwestwards beneath the continental shelf for approximately 100 km before swinging directly westwards towards the termination of the Guinea Fracture Zone. Reaching almost 20 km into the crust, the intrusion is of lopolithic form and appears to be a mantle-derived feature related to the activation of the Guinea Fracture Zone during the early Jurassic, rather than to melting following a meteorite impact as suggested by Krause in 1963. The intrusion is flanked by sedimentary basins containing at least 2 km of Mesozoic sediments overlain by about 200m of a Cenozoic sequence. Thick sediments occur beneath the continental slope where they are disrupted by faults and gravity slides which are particularly common near the Guinea and Sierra Leone fracture zones. The seismic stratigraphy of the deep-water sediments and the direction of oceanic fracture zones west of Sierra Leone indicate that the continental margin began to develop in the Cretaceous. Seismic reflectors of Eocene and probable mid-Cretaceous age extend under the continental slope from the Sierra Leone Abyssal Plain. The Cretaceous sequence appears to contain a southern extension of the thick black shales of the Gambia Basin, which may form an important petroliferous source rock beneath the shallower waters off Sierra Leone.

http://www.onepetro.org/mslib/servlet/onepetropreview?id=OTC-5713-MS

I'm still trying to research the quote in the previous post to find exactly what the guy is trying to say.

[This message has been edited by 10thYrSr (edited 2/25/2012 3:16p).]
10thYrSr
thirdcoast
AG
In short, he is basically saying that the geology north and south of the HDY concession is irrelevant. He is saying that any major oil traps potentially in the Guinea deepwater actually stayed connected to the South American shelf when the continents split.
(he also appears to have a deep personal vendetta against Ray)

Sounds like a sure bet shorting!

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 2/25/2012 5:52p).]
arson keg
third,

sometimes, bro, you just gotta let go

valiant effort. really. but the fact is HDY just drilled an uber expensive dry hole that was their BEST prospect, and the outlook isn't clearer.

It's like you're on the rivalries board, trying to explain why aTm was better than t.u. even though we lost.

for some reason, you can't swallow your pride and just say "damn, this sucked".
thirdcoast
AG
Sp goes up you can make money.

Sp goes down you can make money.

Thats it. That's all.

That's why we are here....at least I thought

htownfan13
He will end up completely broke. Swallow your pride and admit to the obvious.
fahraint
10yr, did you figure out what he was trying to say yet? There are some new posts by his alias on yahoo that claim Spear targeted an area north of the Guinea fracture zone to drill....makes it sound like he and Ray Leonard had a falling out over it.

Looks like from your photo there is a strip north of the GFZ at the southern edge of the Guinea plateau that he felt still holds source rock, and oil. Do you think he is right, or not? Is it possible that the oil south of the GFZ rafted off on the Demerara plateau?

It sure appears that the guy posting under multiple aliases on yahoo is Spear, they reveal too much personal and inside stuff for them not to be.

One thing he has been right on is he called for a "breached petroleum system" back in December.
10thYrSr
He is saying the source rock has rafted away, which much of it has. However, without reading his source documentation, I'm not certain what his belief is regarding the migration of the petroleum that was in the source rock. Given that there is a major igneous intrusion in the area, it is possible that this helped to form a reservoir basin, which could retain petroleum breached from source rock. I'll try to find more documentation and see what others are saying. I think the problem is that everyone is fairly uncertain what is going on in the area, so there may be surprises.
Brotron
nm

[This message has been edited by Brotron (edited 2/27/2012 11:36a).]
moses1084ever
AG
It looks like the Jasper Exploder has left the building.
Phat32
AG
All quiet over here.
thirdcoast
AG
Nothing really to talk about, thread is trolled out till next material PR...

Next possibilities- prelim deepwater 3D released, then 3rd party 3D numbers, then JV deal/ buyout / takeover......not necessarily in that order. This has always been a longterm investment. The Sabu well knocked out a lot of short term upside and short term investors, and has made HDY much more attractive for premature buyout/takeover.

Best case JV deal by late summer with carry on multiple Deepwater wells.

Daily speculation can be found on IV

http://www.investorvillage.com/groups.asp?mb=10989&mn=65878&pt=msg&mid=11503882

http://www.investorvillage.com/mbthread.asp?mb=10989&tid=11535726&showall=1

Edit- yes, I am still accumulating and averaging down, and im not jewish.

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 3/8/2012 7:21p).]
arson keg
quote:
It looks like the Jasper Exploder has left the building.

you eventually run out of ways you can angle shoot a dryhole as "upside"
thirdcoast
AG
Blue, its obvious from your bro post that you think the game is over and that I am blinded by pride throwing good money after bad post Sabu PR..ok, I respect your opinion, time will tell. Short term bets on Sabu may expire, but not longterm investments in the concession.

The good thing about trading/investing is you can make money shorting stock/calls or buying puts. I am amazed at the volume of doom posts on this thread without ONE SINGLE post about actually capitalizing on the down side?  thats very telling about this board. 

At least I put my money where my mouth is. I have more shares at a lower price than I would have had SP gone straight up from the OP or had there been a discovery at Sabu. 

Its never been about "pride" for me. The way I see it, you take a long position, short position, spread position or find something else. 

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 3/8/2012 9:59p).]
BRIANVD04
AG
So, class action lawsuit?!? Some law firm is representing stock holders and evaluating their legal options against Ray and the guys. Any insight?
FarmerJohn
AG
No insight, but that isn't unusual when wildcatting goes wrong. Most parties think the reason they lost out is that they other guy hid something. No one wants to admit to themselves that they may have made some poor decisions.

In full disclosure, I have lost money on this. Looking back, had I been more willing to admit to a poor decision, it would have saved me some money. Well, there is no such thing as a free lunch or education.
piag94
AG
Farmer,
It is definetely hard to "let go" of something that you think will net you a ton of cash. You think about quite a bit and "dream" about what you're going to do with the money. On spec stocks, it's tough to push the sell button. Good luck, and I hope you hit the next one out of the park.
htownfan13
Why sell? HDY was a good buy at near $5 according to a certain genius on here.
harge57
AG
^^ You realize we have new information since then.
Gabster43213
Wow..........$7.15 to $1.36 in a year.
Dub_Ag
So is there any new news to report? Any ideas as to what, if anything, has transpired over the previous few months of silence?
htownfan13
Nothing new. Many still have their money tied up in this awful company. Tens of thousands have been lost from people on this board....
CheladaAg
AG
quote:
Nothing new. Many still have their money tied up in this awful company. Hundreds of thousands have been lost from people on this board....

FIFY

[This message has been edited by boyz05 (edited 4/3/2012 10:18a).]
htownfan13
oooooooooook boooooooyz. You got me...LOL.

Bottom line, this is a disaster. It could ben tens....it could be hundreds....it could be millions. Who knows.
ClickClack
AG
I lost $3000 and moved on with my life
thirdcoast
AG
What has transpired is commercial failure on one well and extension of the 9,560 sq mile license/PSC into 2016.

Obviously short term results would be much better with a shallow discovery. However, Im still buying here, as are others on the otherside of emotional sells.

Im confident longterm, assuming Conde remains in power and things stay stable politically. This is, and has always been, the biggest risk here IMO. With takeover a more likely but less devastating risk at this low sp.

Frontier exploration is not an overnight or monthly venture. The license is very large and has great value. AS LONG as interest has to go through HDY to exploit the asset, I will continue to accumulate cheap. A small carry in the range of 15-30% can go a long way with a seasoned operator, this is the best case scenario at this stage.

The recent baseless litigation and other FUD, is simply an effort to depress price to leverage future partnerships/buyout and shake down retail. I don't blame them, I would do the same thing if I was a major player who wanted in...why would they want to $5 per share when they could pay $1.25 and have the wherewithal to do so. Hedge funding into these high risk reward plays is common.

Institutional ownership going up and retail ownership going down is the most predictable and reliable trend here. Im just a "kid" picking up crumbs cheap...like one of those tiny fish latched on to the great black shark.

There is not a whole lot to speculate on other than what type of deal will be negotiated. I have no interest in managing the emotions or feeding those trolling for piece of mind here.

If you blame mgmt for the current sp, or blame this thread for your loss or cost basis, I would strongly recommend selling immediately.

that is all
htownfan13
Are you actually still buying???? You are literally going to be broke.
harge57
AG
htown... I think it is clear you have never understood this stock. This company still holds a tremendous asset.
ClickClack
AG
3D deepwater data will be released soon and a JVP agreement will probably be reached by mid to late year. I just got back in at 1.17 for just 2000 shares. So cheap and instead of messing with this and worrying about it so much in the short-term like I did before, I'm just going to let it sit there until at least the end of the year. I think I'll be happy with it.
TxAg20
AG
Meanwhile, I'm sure those 60 full-time employees and 20,000 square feet of prime Houston office space are hard at work to maximize share price.

I'm still holding June $3 calls. Not because I think they'll expire in the money, but because they're worth so little, they're not worth selling.

I bought into HDY on the potential of them making a discovery. I'm not discouraged that they did not make a discovery as much as I am at their poor management. Their concession is worth something, just hard to say how much. Good management would probably make a good deal for the company to farmout the concession to someone who can afford to explore it. This management will probably sell it cheap in exchange for a nest on the ground at the purchasing company.
piag94
AG
looks like some of the daytraders are nibbling on this again. Good for some short term up and down.
htownfan13
this thing is about to go under a buck. WOW
piag94
AG
when it gets to .80 or so, it could be a nice short-term buy.
ClickClack
AG
I dont think it will get to. 80
ClickClack
AG
I think by this time next month, the stock will be trading above $1.50. Getting in around $1.00 will end up being a great buy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.