Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Time to buy HDY

240,125 Views | 1784 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Decay
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How long does the drillship take to move?
thirdcoast
AG
Roughly 6 weeks.

When it leaves, I will post images and links so we can track it.
thirdcoast
AG
FYI

HDY CEO comp/background

http://investing.businessweek.com/businessweek/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=38923091&ticker=HDY:US&previousCapId=406376&previousTitle=HYPERDYNAMICS%20CORP
cincoaggie86
I can't wait til October...up to 1000 shares now averaged in at 4.27, drill baby drill!
TxAg20
AG
Down big this morning. Just picked up some more. Hope there's not some bad news coming.
thirdcoast
AG
Here is my personal theory on the price action over the speculative period prior to drilling:

http://investorvillage.com/groups.asp?mb=10989&mn=56036&pt=msg&mid=10849652
Ulrich
Looks to be down with the market.
jm94
AG
4.13 -0.36 -8.02%

Down more than the market (4%), but typical of this stock - larger swings in both directions. No cause for alarm IMO.

Just put in a limit buy at 4.08. We'll see if it triggers.
jm94
AG
It did. In for 1000 shares.
Tonyperkis
AG
I'm in again at $4.05.
04.arch.ag
AG
just got in at 4.00
Tonyperkis
AG
Looks like we got in too soon, but I've learned my lesson from past mistakes and saved some of my money for an entry if it dropped further. Thinking about putting a limit order at 3.8
Tonyperkis
AG
That was a really quick pop off of 3.8. HDY has done that a couple of times at that level.
04.arch.ag
AG
yeah i had my limit at 3.9 and it hovered at 4.02-4.04 for about an hour or so. changed my limit to 4.0 and hit ...then about 14 seconds later it is at 3.83.
thirdcoast
AG
For those who would like to track the Jasper reference this link. It works great mobile also:

http://aprs.fi/?call=i%2F564347000

Should leave Singapore within the next couple weeks.

[This message has been edited by Thirdcoast (edited 8/19/2011 9:16a).]
cincoaggie86
With the price of oil going way down, how does that affect HDY stock once they start drilling? Will we still see a big jump?
thirdcoast
AG
I wouldnt worry too much about oil prices as HDY is several years away from producing. It may effect valuations upon proving reserves but you will be more concerned about taking profits than oil prices at that point.

HDY has recieved significantly more exposure which brings about more trading on oil prices and market swings as small speculative stock, so there could be some short term effects there.
cincoaggie86
Thanks. So say everything goes according to plan and they start drilling in October. When would we see HDY's price peak? I know nothing about oil and gas exploration, but you said they're several years away from production. Would its price peak several years down the road when they're in full production or several months from now after they've drilled and struck oil?
TxAg20
AG
cinco, the market will decide. Once a well is drilled, they will know if there seismic interpretation is correct and how correct it is. They can then book reserves as "proven" which should make their book value increase drastically. At that point, they're a valuable company by their books, but they'll still be losing money. Once they start producing and selling oil, they should turn profitable which should make the stock price increase. However, as they sale their oil and turn it into cash, their proven reserves are being depleted which causes book value to go down if they don't replace or increase their reserves by finding more oil.

In short, the price should go up when they prove their current reserves, and assuming all other things stay the same, the price should increase again as they begin to turn a profit and more profit. After that, the price depends on their ability to find more oil.
cincoaggie86
Got it. Thanks.
thirdcoast
AG
Its all about proving reserves and proving the 3d. They will then get much much better offers from JV/farm outs or produce by themselves all while they continue to prove value in the deepwater. The deepwater will almost certainly require a deal with a major further down the road if things work out.

A lot of capital investment won't consider HDY until they know for sure there is oil and how much. If proven there will be buying pressure, higher tute ownership and more stability going forward.
thirdcoast
AG
The voyage has begun!
ETA late Sept/early Oct

cincoaggie86
Ugh......
bigtruckguy3500
So any real price movement between now and drilling probably doesn't have much real basis, right? Short interest and all that stuff that I don't fully understand.
harge57
AG
Between now and drilling the price of oil could cause the stock price to move. That would have real basis.

[This message has been edited by harge57 (edited 8/22/2011 4:52p).]
thirdcoast
AG
Still supply/demand technicals with a finite amount of shares. Still easy money for market makers.

Keeping a close eye on short interest, the closer that rig gets to oil the higher risk goes for shorts.

Unless shorts know something we don't, we may be in for big short squeeze when the balance tips the other direction. I suspect the majority of shorts above 5 are covering below 4.

[This message has been edited by Thirdcoast (edited 8/22/2011 6:24p).]
LihaiAg06
AG

[This message has been edited by LihaiAg06 (edited 8/22/2011 6:48p).]
Ulrich
HDY is up even though energy stocks, oil, and the market as a whole are down. Interesting, because it has generally seemed to go up or down with the market (but with bigger swings).

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 8/25/2011 10:41a).]
thirdcoast
AG
short covering may have something to do with the recent support against the market

Data and time will tell.
thirdcoast
AG
bigtruckguy3500
What do you all expect in regards to share price as it approaches time to start drilling? Do you think the anticipation will cause a rise in price? Or do you think short trading/squeezing and all that will have an even greater effect at that time causing even more volatility?
thirdcoast
AG
No telling. I expected more positive speculation much earlier. It looks as though it could be up until announcement of drilling results rather than spudding the well when we see significant short covering. More hedging than exposed shorts I suppose.

Possible outcomes:
-Short interest stays flat or increases slightly all the way to positive drilling results in which case we will see the mother of all short squeezes.

-Short interest declines over the next 6-10 weeks as price steadily increases into drilling announcement.

-Short interest stays flat or increases slightly all the way to negative drilling results in which case we will see price collapse under short pressure.

All we can do is monitor the data and be patient.

Up to Aug 15th:

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 8/26/2011 1:01p).]
Northside
I like the first two scenarios. Third, not so much.
cavjock83
AG
looks promising....

Gig 'em &
Happy Trails
thirdcoast
AG
Cavjock,
Care to define your setiment or sarcasm?

I would not describe this equity as "promising" rather I would use the word "potential". In this case the potential outweights the risk IMO.

[This message has been edited by Thirdcoast (edited 8/29/2011 11:59a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.