Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Time to buy HDY

233,946 Views | 1784 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Decay
Charles Bronson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree. And dont pretend like fancy TA charts forecasted the latest 10Q or the market meltdown due to italy/greece issues the other day.
thirdcoast
AG
Agree with the politician comparison. TA is an interesting subject when real life buy/sell orders are posted....otherwise you can build a chart to say whatever you want it to say- "if this then this, if that then this...."

quote:

. I took profit for me after a sudden rise...I wasnt calling a general sell for everyone

had HDY gone down from where farhaint took "profits" it likely would have been a sell rec to the board rather than a post directed to him personally.

again, to each his own

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 11/14/2011 4:14p).]
thirdcoast
htownfan13
What about Ray's miscalculations?? Completely inexcuseable.
thirdcoast
AG
I see no miscalculations by mgmt. There are factors outside of mgmts control. All of which were known possibilities to some of us. In an effort to provide transparency mgmt has provided an update with hints of diversification.

If you feel that mgmt is being misleading or that they are unable to make sound judgment you should sell now and short.
htownfan13
I don't feel like they were intentionally misleading....but major mistakes were made.
harge57
AG
Either way the "miscalculations" are excusable if they hit oil.
fahraint
Funny thing is, I havent boasted one iota about TA here...makes me wonder why thirdcoast is irked.

What I have done, is post my take on HDY and TA for those interested, and one of my own trades. Big deal......I have not denied that hitting oil could launch HDY and I could miss out....again, big deal. Until it does, I personally have found TA useful for entry and exit points for trading

I have thanked thirdcoast for posting the information, but, since he and others curiously appear irritated by TA discussion, I'll exit here and yield his thread back to him.

Anyhow, good luck to longs

edit to address this:
quote:
But statements like the above are what drives me crazy about TA. It reads like a Politician said it, "it might go up or it might go down." Genius.
If you went back to read the post on phasing in entry points, beginning at 3.75, then 3.6, then 3.1, you might not be as frustrated with TA. Sure, it could go up from 3.75, and I make money, if it goes down to 3.6, I buy more at that support, and if it goes to 3.1, I buy more at that support....it isnt that complicated

To each his own, TA works for me, charts dont lie, good luck

Funny thing is, the same thing could be said by a politician: "We might strike oil, but, then we might not".......just because HDY might strike oil, is no reason to completely discount TA as a trading tool until that moment

[This message has been edited by fahraint (edited 11/17/2011 7:00p).]
ClickClack
AG
Not sure why people are freaking out about costs being higher than anticipated. This is very normal for offshore drilling. It doesn't change the end game at all.
AFarmer95
AG
I do not necessarily agree in ta analysis especially in this case but I do appreciate hearing all points of view including fahraints .
Nom de Plume
AG
fahraint, I appreciate your analysis. Its just more info which I don't consider a bad thing.
LihaiAg06
AG
Perhaps we have reached a bottom...up from here?
Nom de Plume
AG
Let's hope.

quote:
Hyperdynamics Corp. (HDY): HDY is engaged in the exploration of oil and gas in the offshore coast of the Republic of Guinea in West Africa. Mega funds added a net $46 million to their $113 million prior quarter position, and taken together mega funds hold 19.0% of the outstanding shares, significantly less than their 26.4% weighting in the group. The top buyer was Vanguard Group ($21 million), and the top holders were Blackrock ($82 million) and Vanguard Group ($31 million). Overall, 116 institutions hold 37.7% of HDY shares, with Blackrock and Vanguard Group being the largest holders with 12.2% and 5.1% of the outstanding shares respectively.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/307684-small-cap-energy-exploration-picks-by-the-world-s-largest-fund-managers
Northside
So when is that 3D seismic report going to be completed and released?
Charles Bronson
Not any time soon. Last one took forever.
LihaiAg06
AG
3.96 +0.28 (+7.61%)
Phat32
AG
If you day traded this thing correctly you could be very very rich by now.
piag94
AG
If you day traded this thing correctly you could be very very rich by now
-------------
why you say that? It's crazy, for sure, but you better be a good guesser cause stocks like this make the little guy poor and the big guy rich..
moses1084ever
AG
Increased my position by 1/3rd @ $3.74/share this morning.
Phat32
htownfan13
I have increased my position several times, and now its lower than every time I increased before. This stock is my worst nightmare. Wish this thread was NEVER started.
Tonyperkis
AG
It's dropping with the market and the plunge in oil prices. I still think we will see it get back to mid 4's at least with expectation of well results. It could definitely still drop to low 3's but I doubt it ever goes below 3 so now is probably a good time to increase position. I'm at 4.17 right now and contemplating avg. down today.
Charles Bronson
quote:
I have increased my position several times, and now its lower than every time I increased before. This stock is my worst nightmare. Wish this thread was NEVER started.

Did you overload on margin? If not, just chill...
thirdcoast
AG

(based on the latest available institutional 13-F filings)

Ratio- New buys/New sells

KWK 219/57= 3.84
FST 27/214= .13
NOG 122/68= 1.79
BBG 81/80= 1.01
KOG 54/69= .78
HDY 48/2= 24
MHR 66/12= 5.5
ATPG 26/7= 3.71
GMXR 4/1= 4
TAT 7/14= .5
LNG 36/1= 36
AXAS 19/5=3.8
CLNE 27/29=.93

FYI, for those of you who buy stock based on message boards...Here are what top money managers in the world have been up to lately.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/307684-small-cap-energy-exploration-picks-by-the-world-s-largest-fund-managers?source=yahoo

[This message has been edited by thirdcoast (edited 11/18/2011 8:31a).]
piag94
AG
interesting. Where did you find this?^^
thirdcoast
AG

Latest shares out on loan available to short
Nom de Plume
AG
quote:
interesting. Where did you find this?^^
The link I posted 3 days ago.
Tonyperkis
AG
I got this from a poster on another investment forum. Pretty interesting...

Take it for what it's worth, but this could be a leak and tomorrow could be a very interesting day. HDY is now linked to the refinery story in the Guinea Press, and the story suggests HDY has discovered oil in the opening line.

Here are translated portions of the latest story (translated via Bing), below that, the link to the original.
Boffa: Laying of the first stone of the oil refinery
Discovered by Hyperdinamics, after long years of exploration and investment, it is this Friday November 18 that the Prime Minister, Mohamed Saïd Fofana conducted in the presence of several members of the Government in the laying of the first stone for the construction of the refinery of oil of Boffa Prefecture located in the lower-Guinea.
Sources close to Hyperdinamics supported by the Ministry of Mines, the first barrel of oil will come out of this gigantic refinery in may 2012. And thus the Guinea will join the enviable club of oil-producing countries.
http://www.guinee24.com/index.php?id=5&no_cache=1&tx_ttnews...

[This message has been edited by Tonyperkis (edited 11/20/2011 7:28p).]
harge57
AG
^^^I like this.
moses1084ever
AG
For a company (Herman Trading) that is allegedly putting together a $2 billion deal, you'd think they'd atleast have a website...

Not to mention, they are expecting the refinery to start producing, albeit at a reduced rate, within 6 months? Constructing and starting up a new plant in 6 months? In West Africa?
Phat32
LihaiAg06
Bird Poo
AG
Does the Prime Minister know the difference between a refinery and a producing oil well? It seems like he has them confused because there is no way a refinery can be built in that amount of time. Perhaps the translation of the word refinery is wrong?

ClickClack
AG
That doesn't sound all that reassuring to me. Sounds like he knows as much as any of us.

I'd like to get in on this stock but am on the fence and am not sure what the best entry point would be.
thirdcoast
AG
I would not put too much weight on the rog media.

To me that reads, "hey, we recognize becoming an oil producing country is a good thing for us."

A whole lot has to happen before they start refining oil, building roads, and decreasing the amount of rice in their diet.

Little HDY has been here from the beginning and if they are around by the time rog refines, the shareholder risk will pay off exponentially.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.