Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

OC choice

4,002 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by SeaBrisket
Gyles Marrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't remember back during the hiring or maybe it was unknown, but was Klein Elko's first choice or was there other offers made.

This isn't a hate on Klein, not going to make a final judgment from one game. Just genuinely curious and don't remember what that process was.
AG
Elko got what he could. None of his hires seemed very solid, despite what TA told everyone.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Why would an Elite OC come work for Elko?
vander54
S
Not for certain but i think Klein was his first choice.
World's worst proofreader
Aginnebraska
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Why would an Elite OC come work for Elko?
Elite OCs never stay around anyway. Klein will build around his personnel. But I would think there are other personnel who could run his offense better than Connor who was built for a different kind of system.
Bill Superman
AG
Revisionist history doesn't change the fact that Klein is/was highly regarded as a major up and comer OC. Also 1 game doesn't change that. 1 season might though, so let it play out before you try to pretend it was a bad hire.
greg.w.h
AG
Collin is fine. But I'm not sure if a single year trade out was ever likely. One is of the opinion all of this fit into a budget carefully constrained by probably $130 million in trade out expenses for our previous staff. Ignore the $77 million btw. That was just his buyout.
classof92
I never understood the hire. He was an elite OC last year -----------------against Big 12 defenses. So I would be worried. If the offense struggles tomorrow against a weak team, then be even more concerned. Need to see drastic improvement. I know it's early in Elko's tenure but speed is needed on the outside.
AggieDruggist89
AG
classof92 said:

I never understood the hire. He was an elite OC last year -----------------against Big 12 defenses. So I would be worried. If the offense struggles tomorrow against a weak team, then be even more concerned. Need to see drastic improvement. I know it's early in Elko's tenure but speed is needed on the outside.
So you're saying we have a chance against the sips...
classof92
Rivalry game. It could go any direction, I don't care how bad the teams are.
leftlane4passing
AG
We do know that Klein was pursued by some other schools, but the rest of the support staff is exactly as you said.
jt16
AG
I don't know if Klein will work out, but we need to keep the OL coach for a little bit if we can
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
classof92 said:

Everyone thinks Sark is a top shelf offensive mind - here is a comparison:

Passing per game:
KSU: 241
tu: 289

Rushing per game:
KSU: 204
tu: 188

Tds per game:
KSU: 4.8
tu: 3.9

so tu had about 30 yards per game more, but KSU put up more touchdowns, against those same big xii defenses.

I have a feeling you're not calling for tu's offense to suddenly flounder.

Edit to add: Yes, if the offense struggles to do anything tomorrow, it would be a very, very bad sign.

I would also suggest any offensive struggles against Florida should be taken as a bad sign as we will play plenty of teams more capable than Florida.
Ugly
AG
4 said:

Elko got what he could. None of his hires seemed very solid, despite what TA told everyone.
Klein and Moffit were both high profile guys that I believe were our first choice. Those are probably the only "solid" hires, though a number of the Duke guys following Elko seemed decent considering what they did there. All of the Florida guys on defense are suspicious, though.
NoahAg
Bad hire. Clearly did not have a good plan for Notre Dame.
Geriatric Punk
AG
NoahAg said:

I'm guessing his plan didn't involve overthrowing open receivers.
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
Cojack
Welcome to the chat Jimbo
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I did not get to watch the game since I was on vacation but were the offensive struggles due to the Oline not getting it done, unimaginative play calling, or just simply Weigman playing like crap?

Writing off the OC after one game against a tough defense where the QB played poorly seems a bit premature.
classof92
Look at you throwing some stats out there. I double checked them and they were spot on.

Interesting stats but I like Sark's past quarterback students vs Kleins. Palmer, Leinart, Sanchez, Cassel, Jones, Tua and there's more.

I'm not trying to piss all over Klein. I think he's got potential. He did a lot at KState with less talent. He has to show improvement throughout this season. He needs recruits, game changers, speed. All the tight-end sets he ran at KState will not survive in the SEC.
p8aggie
AG
I was curious why the Duke OC didn't follow Elko to A&M. Seemed like they did great things at Duke so why not keep the chemistry rolling in College Station?
Bryanisbest
AG
Why would an elite OC not come to work for RC?
JJxvi
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

I did not get to watch the game since I was on vacation but were the offensive struggles due to the Oline not getting it done, unimaginative play calling, or just simply Weigman playing like crap?

Writing off the OC after one game against a tough defense where the QB played poorly seems a bit premature.

QB couldnt throw accurately. Almost everybody else played ok to well. Playcalling late in the game was not ideal but it was also dealing with having the problem of hiding a quarterback who couldnt hit the broad side of a barn and was throwing it to the other team.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Has anyone considered that our OL got absolutely zero push for RB's other than for a play or two?

Very upsetting.
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
The Banned
Geriatric Punk said:

NoahAg said:

I'm guessing his plan didn't involve overthrowing open receivers.

This

I like CW. I hope he turns it around. But he played like hot garbage. "Foot work" or no, he was routinely missing guys and making catches difficult enough that there was no YAC.
Gyles Marrett
Bill Superman said:

Revisionist history doesn't change the fact that Klein is/was highly regarded as a major up and comer OC. Also 1 game doesn't change that. 1 season might though, so let it play out before you try to pretend it was a bad hire.
I remember it being said Klein was offered the ND OC job the year before and turned it down? That correct?
Gyles Marrett
Ugly said:

4 said:

Klein and Moffit were both high profile guys that I believe were our first choice. Those are probably the only "solid" hires, though a number of the Duke guys following Elko seemed decent considering what they did there. All of the Florida guys on defense are suspicious, though.
I'd have a hard time saying anything too bad about the defense right now.
agchugger
AG
Seems like people forgot that Klein turned down Notre Dame for their OC gig.
Bill Superman
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Bill Superman said:

I remember it being said Klein was offered the ND OC job the year before and turned it down? That correct?
ND and Penn St both got turned down in favor of our cursed program.
Cheyenne Bodie
classof92 said:

Rivalry game. It could go any direction, I don't care how bad the teams are.
History suggests that this is rarely the case. There are relatively few upsets in this game. The lower ranked team has won four times since 1980 or so.

Auburn vs. Alabama has about half of Auburn's wins this century being upsets.
Aggie Dad Sip
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

classof92 said:

Everyone thinks Sark is a top shelf offensive mind - here is a comparison:

Passing per game:
KSU: 241
tu: 289

Rushing per game:
KSU: 204
tu: 188

Tds per game:
KSU: 4.8
tu: 3.9

so tu had about 30 yards per game more, but KSU put up more touchdowns, against those same big xii defenses.

I have a feeling you're not calling for tu's offense to suddenly flounder.

Edit to add: Yes, if the offense struggles to do anything tomorrow, it would be a very, very bad sign.

I would also suggest any offensive struggles against Florida should be taken as a bad sign as we will play plenty of teams more capable than Florida.

Are those stats all games or just Big 12 conference games?
classof92
all games
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
i think collin klein will work out as a good offensive coordinator. it's been one game. tough defense, new offfense and a qb coming back from injury that sidelined him for two thirds of last year. if you recall
in 2012 we lost our opener, scored 17 total points at home vs a ranked team and came back to have a pretty salty offense. the point is you have to give it a couple of games before passing judgement.
gaudiz
AG
CW got choked in the 2nd half. That's it.
beerad12man
AG
Ugly said:

4 said:

You guys have a very different definition of "solid" that I do. All of his hires were at the minimum solid, and many could be argued better than that.

Some of you have gone way overboard. Never forget. 95% of the time, things are never as good (see Sumlin 2012, Jimbo 2020) or as bad as they seem. The truth is usually in the middle. It's too early to make any kind of grade on his hires, but on paper, they were all more than solid.
jwhaby
If we don't beat McNeese by 50 points tomorrow, then I will be severely disappointed and discouraged about our future offensive prospects. A vast majority of the top 25 teams demolished their cupcake competitors last week. There's no reason we can't do the same.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.