Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2023

281,613 Views | 1916 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 12f Mane
agmom95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The pic is there now.
mhnatt
What was this? At my gate between Waco and College Station. I think a young rattler?

[url=https://postimg.cc/Lq9bFVvJ][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/B8mwS1wM][/url]
DJV2012
AG
Hognose if I'm not mistaken
Badace52
AG
Even young western diamondbacks have rattles at that size and newborns have a button at the end of their tail.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Hognose. Fun, harmless snake.
agcrock2005
AG
City boy trying to be country? How in the world do you see rattlesnake in that snake?
TarponChaser
agmom95 said:

Here are two rattlers. We found three more in the den. This is on our family land near Temple that has been around since 1877. Only second time rattlers have ever been seen.

Y'all must be the only ones then- I have some good friends from that area (they went to Little River-Academy in the early/mid-90's) and one guy has a good bit of family land and rattlers are really common on their place.
agmom95
AG
I know it seems strange, but my grandmother, who grew up there didn't see her first rattler until she moved to South Texas in the late 50's. My side of the family took over the land in the late 70's. Saw several water moccasins, but didn't see our first rattler until 2014.

These here were found in a very back corner of the property where some relatives decided was a good place to bury some metal and other trash. It created several places with large holes. We finally decided to try and go clean the pile up and that's where we found them.

I'm sure rattlers have been around all these years, it's just a weird coincidence.
HtownAg92
AG
TarponChaser said:

agmom95 said:

Here are two rattlers. We found three more in the den. This is on our family land near Temple that has been around since 1877. Only second time rattlers have ever been seen.

Y'all must be the only ones then- I have some good friends from that area (they went to Little River-Academy in the early/mid-90's) and one guy has a good bit of family land and rattlers are really common on their place.
I dove hunt near Oscar and Salado and I've seen them. Nothing like South or West Texas, but they are sometimes around.

I remember when I was a kid (70's and 80's) my cousin from Salado showed us his technique for killing rattlers with his truck one night -- the key is to lock the brakes and skid across them.
agsalaska
AG
agmom95 said:

My guess is that they are being pushed out by all of the development in west Temple near Lake Belton High School.

My wife has been teaching at Lake since it opened I guess four years ago now. The first couple of years rattlesnakes on campus were a weekly occurrence. At first the school district made a big dumb deal about removing them safely and letting them go somewhere. After a few months of that nonsense they now just call a coach who gets a shovel and don't tell anyone.

All of those neighborhoods had similar issues but there are far fewer now.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
ironmanag
AG
Largest Nope Noodle ever in Florida

According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
NoahAg
agmom95 said:

Would you consider adopting a 40-something adult man with a family??
Let's go, Brandon!
P.U.T.U
AG
I know they have a nice warm den that you could live in...
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
BreNayPop
AG
Big ole nope right there…
krosch11
AG

Correction! : checkered garter .
BCO07
AG
Checkered garter, no?
krosch11
AG
Probably. I thought Juvie rat
Badace52
AG
BCO07 said:

Checkered garter, no?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
#1 Jaylen Henderson Fan
That's surprising.

I grew up in Morgan's Point and not once did I ever see a rattlesnake.
agsalaska
AG
Choowey said:

That's surprising.

That's where I live and I have never seen one either. I actually live in unincorperated Bell Co but can walk to Morgans Point. It is really weird how just a couple of miles can make that big of a difference.

I've owned a rental in Windmill Farms for a long time now and in the early days of that neighborhood they killed dozens of them.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
#1 Jaylen Henderson Fan
agsalaska said:

Choowey said:

That's surprising.

That's where I live and I have never seen one either. I actually live in unincorperated Bell Co but can walk to Morgans Point. It is really weird how just a couple of miles can make that big of a difference.

I've owned a rental in Windmill Farms for a long time now and in the early days of that neighborhood they killed dozens of them.

My folks live near Temple Lake Park now, but it's insane how much that area has changed. All of that area by the new highschool was just woods and now there's like 5 subdivisions.
TheSheik
AG
Been wanting to post in the snake thread

Found this afternoon in the gravel of the driveway - I moved him/she/them up to the step at the front porch so my wife can find it when she comes home

A resting, pining for the shinnery, expired, bereft of life, passed on copperhead ?

Very dry and shriveled ignored by the 3 cats and 2 dogs that transversed that location all week
The stair step is a 2x6 for scale

Eastland county

Update

Not a snake - some kinda root or bean pod

mrsbeer05
AG
Husband just killed a baby rat snake. It was in our leaves and he doesn't monitor this board like I do. I wasn't home to okay the kill otherwise I would have been called in for the ID. Added second picture. It's nose does curve, so maybe hognose.

ATX_AG_08
AG
Hognose I believe.
agcrock2005
AG
I believe rat snake is correct, but I'll wait for the experts.

EDIT: I'm a dumbass
ttha_aggie_09
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Hognose I believe.
txags92
AG
Hognose
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Hognose. No question.
Badace52
AG
Youngish but not baby eastern hognose.
12f Mane
AG
Any other photos?
Bulldog73
AG
My wife saw it around the kids. She committed the great sin of this thread. My deepest apologies.
Badace52
AG
Ahh the super dangerous snail and earthworm eating rough earth snake. She saved countless snail lives today. Turbo can sleep easy.
MouthBQ98
AG
First copperhead of the year.
Bulldog73
AG
Oh for sure, she allowed for some home grown escargot given a couple years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.