Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,222 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
12f Mane said:

"Texas" and "western" are the same thing. There was a taxonomic change a few years ago that separated the American ratsnakes into species (they were previously all the same species, just broken out into subspecies). Our Texas ratsnakes got renamed Western. I'm personally not a fan of the name change or taxonomic change, and it's a common thing in herpetology at the moment.

That said, western ratsnakes and great plains (southwestern) ratsnakes are different species, and at the moment slowinski's ratsnakes are separated as well.

Western (previously Texas) Ratsnake

Great Plains (Southwestern) Ratsnake

Slowinki's (corn) Ratsnake

I understand the Texas vs. Great Plains ID, but how to I differentiate between the Great Plains and the Corn? I can't tell any noticeable differences in the markings.
Null and Void
Her pattern is showing up nicely this morning.
SteveBott
AG
That is a well fed snake. How long do you think it is?
Null and Void
I'm guessing no than 3.5'. There is no shortage of perch in this particular pond.
Null and Void
Kind of looks like a viper from this angle.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Why head shape isn't always a good indicator.
TarponChaser
txags92 said:

From the "Stories from Texas" Facebook page. For sale, one John Deere Tractor, in good shape except for the rattle.

Did any of the experts ever chime on what species of rattlesnake this is? I've never seen that coloration.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If the source is reliable and it is actually from Texas, it is a Western. No Eastern's exist West of the Mississippi, to my knowledge.

However, I think the pattern on that guy looks way off for a western and suspect it's actually an Eastern. Seeing as how I am not an expert and have never seen an eastern in the wild, I don't really know. I imagine 12fmane has a bead on this one and can elaborate with his knowledge.
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

If the source is reliable and it is actually from Texas, it is a Western. No Eastern's exist West of the Mississippi, to my knowledge.

However, I think the pattern on that guy looks way off for a western and suspect it's actually an Eastern. Seeing as how I am not an expert and have never seen an eastern in the wild, I don't really know. I imagine 12fmane has a bead on this one and can elaborate with his knowledge.
I make no claims about the source of that photo or where the picture was taken. It was a friend's friend that shared that page.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That wasn't directed at you, just noting due to the unreliability of things shared on Facebook.
txags92
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

That wasn't directed at you, just noting due to the unreliability of things shared on Facebook.
Thanks. Just went back to the page to see if anybody discussed where the photo was taken or what species the snake was. Somebody mentioned Mojave (Green) Rattlesnakes, and based on the pattern of some of the photos online, I could see that. They supposedly make it over into far west Texas, but I am not sure they would be anywhere a John Deere might be working...
12f Mane
AG
Looks like a Mexican species to me, possibly Crotalus totonacus or mictlantecuhtli, but can't be sure without the locale. The Mexican "neotropical" rattlesnakes are confusing.

*edit to add that those species all have striped necks like the snake above, maybe a distinguishing feature.
Ag97
AG
So what kind of water snake do y'all think I have here? I can't find anything that seems to match up with the pattern?

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Broad Banded Water Snake
Ag97
AG
Thanks for the confirmation.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good ID of it being a water snake! Most people think any snake near the water is a CM but Broad Bands seem to cause a lot of confusion for most people. The really bright ones can be mistaken for copperheads, unfortunately. They can be really pretty snakes!
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Peep-eye. Probably ought to lock that window.

maroon barchetta
Is that venom on the window?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
12ga through the glass...
TAMU77CLAY
AG
looks like either Forest or Mozambique spitting cobra.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Is that venom on the window?
I was also wondering about that. My guess is it's a Mozambique spitting cobra as they're one of the more common varieties and might have spit at its reflection?
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Here's another pic from the same site. It's a big black mamba up in a tree - exactly why you pay attention when you're reaching up for a fresh, ripe mango. They get in the trees to eat birds. Somebody had killed this one I believe with a shotgun.

maroon barchetta
I'm having flashbacks to Marlin Perkins putting Jim Fowler in an enclosure with a spitting cobra but Jim wearing a face shield
Badace52
AG
Cool pics!
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
So what did my employees needlessly slaughter this morning???

"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
MyNameIsJeff
AG
A ratsnake. Enjoy your mice!
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Kitchen floor at the office
TheClaw07
AG
Dbws?? Really dark coloration makes it hard for me to be sure.
BrokeAssAggie
That would be my guess
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I want to say Plain Bellied Water Snake. Although faint, that looks more like the pattern they have when they're younger than the pattern of a DBWS. The pattern on a DBWS is typically all black, but this one has a lighter color between the black markings.

Not a bad snake to have around, either way.
TheClaw07
AG
Yeah, a buddy sent it to me just to check. I know water snake, but wanted to tell him specifically what kind. Appreciate the feedback!
12f Mane
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

I want to say Plain Bellied Water Snake. Although faint, that looks more like the pattern they have when they're younger than the pattern of a DBWS. The pattern on a DBWS is typically all black, but this one has a lighter color between the black markings.

Not a bad snake to have around, either way.
Quartz
Can anyone id my new little friend hanging out in my chicken shed? Is he a real rattler or a pretend?

Edit to add vid with sound.

https://imgur.com/a/pfSMCSG
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hard for me to tell for sure on my phone but it looks like a "real" rat snake, aka Chicken Snake, Western Rat Snake

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.