Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,389 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bad boy. I was going dove hunting wearing tennis shoes until I saw this guy on the road close to the field. Hate wearing the snake boots when it's in the high 90s. But they were put on today.
The girth of this cottonmouth was massive. And he coiled up instead of fleeing for several minutes.
AZAG08
AG
This is what we see most often at my house in SW Florida, southern black racer.

Spent some time watching this one, and when they are ready to move they are incredibly fast
agcrock2005
AG
Inside 407 BBQ in Northlake...looks high as a hat to me!

zooguy96
agcrock2005 said:

Inside 407 BBQ in Northlake...looks high as a hat to me!

Looks like it recently ate a rat or mouse as well.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Or a brisket
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Good thing he got there before the health inspector.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Refreshing to see that post coming from someone knowledgeable rather than the typical picture with its head cut off asking if it's a copperhead.
aggiedata
AG
2ndChanceAg96 said:

I wouldn't eat there. Not because of the rat snake. It's because the rat snake wouldn't be there if there wasn't a food source like rodents in the place.
agcrock2005
AG
aggiedata said:

2ndChanceAg96 said:

I wouldn't eat there. Not because of the rat snake. It's because the rat snake wouldn't be there if there wasn't a food source like rodents in the place.
Same, and I live a mile away. This is why I'm surprised they posted it. Even in the comments the owners are joking around about how "even the snakes get full here". That snake isn't there because there was one mouse running around. That belly looks pretty big too like it might be bigger than a "field mouse" as they wrote in their comment.
lch76
AG
I don't post often, but ran across this guy while sorting through a 30 year old decaying lumber pile. Startled me as I reached down to move a board and this guy raced out. He settled down and kept moving to the back of the pile as I worked through it.

My first thought was copper head, but as I watched him move he looked more like rat snake. He appeared to be 3 to 3 1/2 feet long. Am I right on the rat snake part?

My snake ID skills have been obtained by reading this board for several years. Best board on TexAgs!
Daddy-O5
AG
Looks like a Great Plains rat snake.
Stupid@17
AG
New snake, somewhat small. Was in my small coy pond. About a foot long, width appx 1 inch. Harmless or something else?

Denton county.

THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Baby Burmese python
Stupid@17
AG
...how the hell?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Stupid@17 said:

...how the hell?

mrsbeer05
AG
I say baby rat snake
zooguy96
Rat snake.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
12th Man Ag
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Baby Burmese python

Ag 11
AG
Mas89 said:

Bad boy. I was going dove hunting wearing tennis shoes until I saw this guy on the road close to the field. Hate wearing the snake boots when it's in the high 90s. But they were put on today.
The girth of this cottonmouth was massive. And he coiled up instead of fleeing for several minutes.

My goodness. That's a beauty!
5StarShield
AG
Unfortunately didn't see this little guy until it was too late. My edger took him out - he's only about 10" long.
TarponChaser
ID help for this "Nature Is Metal" reel on IG: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ci5u7rUpD5Y/?igshid=NDRkN2NkYzU=
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Indigo eating something.
Badace52
AG
Black racer eating an eastern garter snake
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
ribbon snake
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TacosaurusRex
TarponChaser said:

ID help for this "Nature Is Metal" reel on IG: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ci5u7rUpD5Y/?igshid=NDRkN2NkYzU=

WestTexAg12
AG
Badace52 said:

Most people survive copperhead bites, but it is an unpleasant experience. Lots of swelling and pain and sometimes a small amount of localized tissue death that leads to permanent scarring. People have died from copperhead bites before but a young copperhead is unlikely to kill a full grown adult human.

That said, it is recommended you present immediately to the nearest hospital based emergency room after any venomous snake bite for close monitoring and potential need for life saving interventions.

Speaking of… I've now got a dead copperhead in my yard and a dumbass dog with a swollen nose. Shoved two Benadryl, one Gabapentin, and one Clavacillin down his throat.

This is the third time since I've moved into this house.
He got bit in May of '21 (needed antivenin), June '22 (no antivenin needed), and today. I also took him through snakebreaker for rattlers early August, but he is apparently a dumbass and doesn't learn.
Texmid
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Badace52 said:

Most people survive copperhead bites, but it is an unpleasant experience. Lots of swelling and pain and sometimes a small amount of localized tissue death that leads to permanent scarring. People have died from copperhead bites before but a young copperhead is unlikely to kill a full grown adult human.

That said, it is recommended you present immediately to the nearest hospital based emergency room after any venomous snake bite for close monitoring and potential need for life saving interventions.

Speaking of… I've now got a dead copperhead in my yard and a dumbass dog with a swollen nose. Shoved two Benadryl, one Gabapentin, and one Clavacillin down his throat.

He got bit in May of '21 (needed antivenin), June '22 (no antivenin needed), and today. I also took him through snakebreaker for rattlers early August, but he is apparently a dumbass and doesn't learn.

I wonder if it would deter the dog if you hung the snake around his neck for a couple days?
WestTexAg12
AG
Texmid said:

WestTexAg12 said:

Badace52 said:

I wonder if it would deter the dog if you hung the snake around his neck for a couple days?

I should have kept it in the yard and put a shock collar on him then let him get really close and zap the tar out of him.
MAS444
AG
I knew a dude in Seadrift who'd put a rattlesnake in the bed of his pickup from time to time. It seemed to take care of people stealing stuff from his truck.
Courtesy Flush
AG
MAS444 said:

I knew a dude in Seadrift who'd put a rattlesnake in the bed of his pickup from time to time. It seemed to take care of people stealing stuff from his truck.
Is there anyone in Seadrift that doesn't put a rattlesnake in the bed of their pickup?
1990AG
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Badace52 said:

In his defense, the copperhead didn't rattle...must have thought the dog was a hog

Mortgage Man
AG
Mr Cottonmouth on the driveway....
Gig Em! '84

Brian@TxBestHomeLoans.com
Layne Staley
AG
Is he eating a toad?
MouthBQ98
AG
Found me coiled in the hen house (it wasn't me!)
Saw me sneaking in the egg box (it wasn't me!)

Ranch Dressing
AG
Is this a diamondback water snake?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.