Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,388 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Great pictures. How do you find all these? I spend a decent amount of time outdoors and hardly ever come across them.
Some say that 12fmane can smell a snake from a mile away…

But seriously, he takes awesome photos and I am pretty sure has spent a long time perfecting his craft. My favorite touch is how he gets them all to "pose" for the camera. Not always an easy thing to do, especially with the venomous snakes.
12f Mane
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Great pictures. How do you find all these? I spend a decent amount of time outdoors and hardly ever come across them.

Lots of methods for lots of species, but the most productive way is to turn stuff over (and put it back how you found it). Logs and rocks are good, but the really productive stuff is large plywood, stacked roofing tin, etc. Of course the spring is the best time but stuff can be found all year here. I do a lot of hiking to find stuff as well. And I live by ABH.
SteveBott
AG
Funny you mentioned plywood turnover. I grew up going through vacant lots in Houston turning stuff over for snakes. Many many afternoons running around as a kid.

And the best, BY FAR, was old plywood. I have about a 35-40% hit rate. It was like Easter egg hunting when I found those plywood planks
SoTxAg
AG
On the Salado Creek trail chasing a lizard.
AgRyan04
Ratsnake?
YellAgs
AG
Yep
12f Mane
AG
SoTxAg said:

On the Salado Creek trail chasing a lizard.

That's a great looking ratsnake.
FamousAgg
3-4 foot long, maybe 2" thick, tan/yellow belly. This one was very defensive, another one right next to it slithered away pretty easy. This one wouldn't leave so I shot him.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
This was almost in the middle of our cul de sac in Kemah. Never seen one before that wasn't in a zoo. Neighbor has twin girls that are seniors in high school, so it is not out of the realm of possibility that some foolish boy put it here. Can't figure out how that would help your chances in any way, but can still see some horned up boy thinking it would be a good idea. Fake yeti cup for size reference.

1208HawkTree
AG
My dad sent me this the other day after my mom saw it on their patio. It wasn't alive much longer after the picture was taken. Initially I was certain it was a cottonmouth but now reading through this thread, y'all have me less confident in that ID.
Daddy-O5
AG
Plain belly or "blotched" water snake.
12f Mane
AG
No reason they wouldn't be there. Corals can survive in pretty urban environments.
Watchful Ag
AG
I'm always amazed at how well rat snakes can climb. This guy was about 8' up the largest water oak we have.

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

But seriously, he takes awesome photos and I am pretty sure has spent a long time perfecting his craft. My favorite touch is how he gets them all to "pose" for the camera. Not always an easy thing to do, especially with the venomous snakes.
He's the Ansel Adams (colored version) of snake photos.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
BuddysBud
AG
With the death of the above water snakes, frogs can feel a little safer tonight.
txags92
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

He's the Ansel Adams (colored version) of snake photos.
That's racist! And what does it matter what race he is?
cheeky
AG
Saw three around the house yesterday afternoon, caught two of them 4' and 5' long.

Ag83
AG

Coachwhip. Very cool snake to have around...
cheeky
AG
Eastern Coachwhips. Fast and did not appreciate being handled at first
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Fiduciary said:

Eastern Coachwhips. Fast and did not appreciate being handled at first
The last one I came across was too feisty to even consider handling. ...And I had both my wife and mother-in-law yelling at me to get away from it because it might be "poisonous".
4stringAg
AG
Badace52 said:

Best way to find snakes is by "turning". Basically turning over large objects laying on the ground. It is dangerous though because you can't always see where you are putting your fingers and sometimes stings and bites happen.

You can also drive down rarely traveled roads on cool nights and will often find different reptiles warming themselves there.
Agree with the bolded. Learned my lesson a few years back in upstate PA was turning over some old roofing tin panels and came a fingertip away from a timber rattler. Fortunately it was still cool on the mountain and he was sluggish.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
One of my best friends growing up was a snake fan, always turning over plywood, tin, anything that was cover and on our bikes we covered miles and miles. He had various snakes that he conned his mom into letting him keep in couple of aquariums and several that we wasn't telling her about. When his grandma came and stayed with the family, she stayed in his room (they hid the aquariums) and one got out at night and the next day he was ordered to get rid of all of them.

I remember finding some with him but don't ever remember transporting any. Back then I wasn't as much of a fan as now. I didn't want to kill them, but my survival instinct took over and I kept far enough back.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Decay
AG
Not exactly a snake but my boss lives in Florida and found this on his porch...
BrokeAssAggie
Castle doctrine applies to reptiles too. Get some new boots
Decay
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

Castle doctrine applies to reptiles too. Get some new boots

My coworker replied "dinner and new boots!". Didn't know he was from Baton Rouge
maroon barchetta
What's in his mouth? Looks like he might have a dog's chew bone in the lower left side of his mouth.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Lol! That would be its jaw!!
TheClaw07
AG
Juvenile rat?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I believe it's a prairie kingsnake. But I sometimes get them confused with great plains rat snakes.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Looks like a Prairie Kingsnake to me as well
tamc93
AG
Starting to think I should find a new place to drink beer at:

Tonight and last year about the same time on the driveway

tk111
AG
tamc93 said:

Poor little dudes just wanted to share a brew
88Warrior
tk111 said:

tamc93 said:

Poor little dudes just wanted to share a brew

If you drink Lone Star the only animal you got to deal with are armadillos…
TarponChaser
I figure this is the place to ask but, is there an age at which a diamondback water snake is able to musk? Meaning do they go through some kind of snake puberty when they're sexually mature which gives them the ability to musk (IIRC, it's not just defense but a mating thing too)? Or are they able to musk at any age?

The reason I ask is a neighbor had a juvenile by their pool (based on pics) while I was out of town I mentioned they were harmless but could musk and it stinks like hell. Which got me wondering as to whether you snake experts know it's something that develops with age for the snake.
ord89
AG
Two different kinds of snake under my dock. Hard to see, but their heads are touching. What are they

Ord89

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.