Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,407 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ord89 said:

Two different kinds of snake under my dock. Hard to see, but their heads are touching. What are they

Looks like a Diamondback water snake and a blotched/plain belly water snake.
12f Mane
AG
Diamondback watersnake on the left, yellow-bellied watersnake on the right
ord89
AG
Thank you!
Ord89
NoahAg
12f Mane said:

Diamondback watersnake on the left, yellow-bellied watersnake on the right
And if things went right you'll get some baby yellow-diamond-belly-back water snakes.
Let's go, Brandon!
FrioAg 00
AG
ord89 said:

Two different kinds of snake under my dock. Hard to see, but their heads are touching. What are they

Bro, do we not knock anymore? Did you not see the sock outside?
4stringAg
AG
Big moccasin in my fishing spot:

SpiderDude
AG
2 for the price of one! Saw these 2 chilling literally feet away from each other. I thought the darker one might have been a cottonmouth but looking closer at the picks it doesn't look like a moccasin's head. Dunno. Maybe could still be one. I didn't see the lighter/skinnier one until after I spooked the dark one of back into the culvert. He was one culvert over. Noticed a good frog population. That's what attracted them no doubt.

MyNameIsJeff
AG
SpiderDude said:

2 for the price of one! Saw these 2 chilling literally feet away from each other. I thought the darker one might have been a cottonmouth but looking closer at the picks it doesn't look like a moccasin's head. Dunno. Maybe could still be one. I didn't see the lighter/skinnier one until after I spooked the dark one of back into the culvert. He was one culvert over. Noticed a good frog population. That's what attracted them no doubt.

They're both plain bellied water snakes. Note the "chalk lines" running perpendicular to the body. Much more clear on the first snake, but still there on the second.
Badace52
AG
4stringAg said:

But whose fishing spot is it really?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
4stringAg
AG
Badace52 said:

4stringAg said:

But whose fishing spot is it really?
LOL. I actually made a few casts standing just out of striking distance and he sat there calmly. As I moved over to take pics, he got a little antsy and decided to swim off. This is a lake in back of a neighborhood and they had mown the grass around the edges and he just glided right over top of the grass clippings floating on the water.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Small rattlesnake.
P.U.T.U
AG
Good find, where at?
txags92
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Good find, where at?
Going to guess his username might check out on this one...
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

Good find, where at?

Correct. North Blanco County
P.U.T.U
AG
txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

Good find, where at?
Apparently I am that guy who didn't know that Round Mountain was a city. Learned something new today
maroon barchetta
P.U.T.U said:

txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

Good find, where at?
Apparently I am that guy who didn't know that Round Mountain was a city. Learned something new today

Ditto
txags92
AG
P.U.T.U said:

txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

Good find, where at?
Would you think less of me if I told you I had to look it up to make sure before I posted?
maroon barchetta
Turns out I have been thru Round Mountain before when I went with a date from Marble Falls to Johnson City for a rodeo.

I must have blinked when we were driving in town.
Stan Crowch
AG

Can someone pls ID this guy?
P.U.T.U
AG
txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

Good find, where at?
Would you think less of me if I told you I had to look it up to make sure before I posted?
Watchful Ag
AG
New to this so forgive me if I'm wrong - but I'm thinking it's a rough earth snake.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Stan Crowch said:

I really can't tell much from your picture. It doesn't appear to be anything venomous. Was it brown? Maybe a rough earth snake like the poster above me said. That would be my best guess.
Stan Crowch
AG
Yeah sorry about the pic. I was on a bike and he was trying to get away quick.
MyNameIsJeff
AG

Ribbon snake in my flower bed last night. He was still working on the toad when I went to bed. No sign of either this morning.
Mathguy64
AG
The old adage of "your eyes were bigger than your stomach" comes to mind.
txags92
AG
Replying to Stan Crowch's photo…Any estimate on length? The skin doesnt seem to have that braided texture that the rough earth snakes seem to have when i have handled them (similar texture to a coachwhip but smaller). Also looks darker than typical rough earth snake. I am guessing a racer of some sort. Maybe yellow bellied?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sure looks like a yellow belly racer to me but not sure.
Stan Crowch
AG
txags92 said:

Replying to Stan Crowch's photo…Any estimate on length? The skin doesnt seem to have that braided texture that the rough earth snakes seem to have when i have handled them (similar texture to a coachwhip but smaller). Also looks darker than typical rough earth snake. I am guessing a racer of some sort. Maybe yellow bellied?
I would say he was about 3 feet long. This is in Houston on trail along the bayou.
txags92
AG
Stan Crowch said:

txags92 said:

I would say he was about 3 feet long. This is in Houston on trail along the bayou.
Yeah, not a rough earth snake at that length. one of the experts can chime in with a call, but I am sticking with a racer of some variety.
Daddy-O5
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Agree. This was my initial thought but wasn't 100% sure either.
P.U.T.U
AG
On the run today didn't see anything on the trails on the way out but 5 on the way back (3 water snakes, 2 rat snakes).

Funny part was there was a family behind me so I decided to get the ~4ft rat snake off the trail. Instead of going into the brush the snake went up the tree that overhung the trail. Pretty certain that kid will have some nightmares after hearing that scream, whoops
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Agree. This was my initial thought but wasn't 100% sure either.
On second thought, I'll change my guess to yellow bellied racer.
Badace52
AG
Stan Crowch said:

Txags92 and Ttha were right... This is a yellow bellied racer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tamc93
AG
Starting to think I am in the F84 version of the OB…all my snakes are dead when I post.
Stive
AG

One of, if not the biggest, rat snakes I've ever seen was coming down this pine tree outside my office window. He went up one trunk a dozen feet away from this tree, worked his way across some limbs, and came down this one.

Located in Tyler.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.