Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,409 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
Aggie-03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cool pic…taken on Hole # 6 at Pebble Creek Country Club in College Station. Convinced my buddy it was not a moccasin bc of my tremendous lurking skills on this thread!
ttha_aggie_09
ttha_aggie_09
AG
A really good looking one too!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Diner: Coral
Dinner: Texas Brown?

They were about a third of the way into the street so I had to make a couple of cars go around them. Coral finally got tired of attention and moved off towards the sidewalk and grass. The Texas Brown? Seemed a bit lethargic, not sure how long they could have been there, it's not a real busy street. I tossed Dinner into the grass and didn't see if Coral came back to claim it.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I believe it's a smooth earth snake but I honestly don't know the difference well enough between a smooth and rough… I've always just called them earth snakes.
ATX_AG_08
AG
I was getting coffee at a c-store this morning when I overheard a guy talking abt a snake, but he didn't know what kind. Turn around and he's showing another guy on his phone. I ask him if I could take a look. It was a Buttermilk Racer. They asked me how I became an "expert" lol. A few years on this thread and you get pretty good.

They also asked if it was "poisonous", but I thought the ID was sufficient for todays lesson so didn't say anything.
Decay
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

I was getting coffee at a c-store this morning when I overheard a guy talking abt a snake, but he didn't know what kind. Turn around and he's showing another guy on his phone. I ask him if I could take a look. It was a Buttermilk Racer. They asked me how I became an "expert" lol. A few years on this thread and you get pretty good.

They also asked if it was "poisonous", but I thought the ID was sufficient for todays lesson so didn't say anything.
One of my favorite jokes is the comedian who tells the crowd one time HE GOT POISONED... and then he says "well it was actually food poisoning but the first way gets more attention"
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I believe it's a smooth earth snake but I honestly don't know the difference well enough between a smooth and rough… I've always just called them earth snakes.
Smooth/Rough earth snake was still there but the ants got to him. Apparently the coral did not stick around which would have been very cool to see. Maybe I'll have a nice skeleton picture tomorrow evening.

Chainsaw07
AG

Texas Brown Snake for all three?
ttha_aggie_09
12f Mane
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Texas/Dekay's Brown. It really shows how much variation their patterns can have. Some can even look like a checkered garter at first glance, in my opinion.
P.U.T.U
AG
I really do need to carry some kind of camera on my runs. 5 different kinds of snakes and 2 kinds of skinks
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Well, what were they?
P.U.T.U
AG
DBWS, YBWS, grass snake, Dekays brown snake, and western rate snake.I have seen probably 200 snakes in the neighborhood and only seen one venomous one which was a copperhead.
MouthBQ98
AG
This week: ribbon snake, large rat snake, buttermilk racer, small coachwhip, rough earth snake. Bummer, I never had my phone handy.
maroon barchetta
It's not a mobile phone if you don't take it with you.
P.U.T.U
AG
I enjoy being disconected from the world sometimes. Actually wish I could be all the time
maroon barchetta
P.U.T.U said:

I enjoy being disconected from the world sometimes. Actually wish I could be all the time

"Do not disturb"

It's a whole mode.

Then you still have your camera.

And you can voice record notes.

"3' brown snake, 4/28/2022, south rim of canyon"

"Feed tuna mayonnaise and you won't have to mix it in the can"
NoVAag91
AG
Nice 'Night Shift' reference …
maroon barchetta
AG
Not a snek and only taken with my crappy phone but still cool. Trying to break in a new bird feeder and my southern friend is back this year.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Not my pic.

Friend sent after the dispatched it already. All I could tell was not venomous as it's not a coral, rattler, copper or cotton…

I'm guessing a texas brown
maroon barchetta
BadAzzBohemian
AG
My foot was about about to come down on it and luckily instincts kicked in as I saw it and jumped over it at the last millisecond. Adrenalin is still pumping.
maroon barchetta
What is it?
BadAzzBohemian
AG
moccasin
Badace52
AG
Rough earth snake
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ATX_AG_08
AG
That will get your blood flowing. I boozed really hard and didn't get much sleep the night before a dove hunt one time. Felt like crap in the morning. Almost stepped on a rattlesnake right as the sun was coming up. Shot so much adrenaline in me I felt fine after that. Lucky he was still lethargic.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Another visitor at the farm near Sealy yesterday. The wm was at the house...we border Barker Reservoir.

12f Mane
AG
Prairie kingsnake
AtlAg05
AG
Badace52
AG
Nice pic...

Ring-necked snake btw
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
That is a pretty snake.
agz win
AG
Location for the ring snake?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.