Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

339,360 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are right. It doesn't matter. My point is most people can easily outrun a snake and most snakes don't chase people to begin with. There are no fast venomous snakes in the U.S.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jgh85Ag
AG
Was pretty sure it was a unladen swallow.
LPCAg
AG
Seen hiking the North Kaibab Trail in the Grand Canyon. Any guess what kind?
jgh85Ag
AG
Thanks for giving one the top 2 contributors to the annual threads a snarky reply.. Well done. Way to Texag!
Daddy-O5
AG
Gopher snake? Tough to say from picture but pattern and region makes sense.
Badace52
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

Gopher snake? Tough to say from picture but pattern and region makes sense.

This...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Fiduciary said:

Badace52 said:

So I was going off the black mamba speed at 12 mph which is the fastest a snake can move on level ground, and yes that's a sprint for a slow person or a moderate jog for most people so I guess it's a bit of hyperbole.

Sidewinders do not actually slither at 18 mph. They can only move that fast while falling down sand dunes with their classic side winding motion. Without gravity's aid they don't move that fast. I don't really think that should count or we would be rating animal speeds at their terminal velocity based of aerodynamics.

As an aside, when people say the peregrine falcon is the fastest animal on earth, this is also gravity aided as they dive bomb at over 200 mph. However many duck species are faster in level flight.
Ask me how I know that you don't jog? 12mph is a 5 minute mile. That is running speed for most, sprinting speed for many, and unattainable by some of the OB. Fortunately there are no black mambas in the area and I doubt anyone will try to fall down a sand dune faster than a sidewinder. None of this really matters. Carry on!
uhhh, he's really not known around here for his athletic skillz.
AggieTailgate84
AG
My neighbors dryer. Rat snake crawled in the vent line and got caught in the fan motor. Properly cover your vent line openings.

maroon barchetta
Poor fella.
htxag09
AG
My wife would never do laundry again....
SpreadsheetAg
AG
htxag09 said:

My wife would never do laundry again....
This. I want to show my wife this picture, but I'd have to start doing 100% of all drying and folding.
P.U.T.U
AG
My ex would have burned down the house
ttha_aggie_09
AG

Terrible picture, I know…. Had a 6' Indigo basking right by the road this morning when I was loading feeders. I had a choice of getting a good picture or catching it and unfortunately, didn't do either… my 9 year old was quite concerned with me trying to catch this "giant" snake, although she should be used to it by now.
FrioAg 00
AG
My absolutely favorite snake
ttha_aggie_09
AG
No doubt! Of all the snakes, venomous and non-venomous, I've handle in my life, the indigo is not one of them. They're soooo cool and I'm really upset I haven't done that yet.
DaveAg02
AG
I used to catch em pretty regularly back in Refugio County. We would bring them back to our camp in hopes that our camp would be heavy on indigo and low on rattler.

Once I caught one that was all of 7', no idea the actual measurement. I'm 6', and it's head was on the ground when I was holding it's tail up with my arm fully outstretched. Awesome snakes.
Josepi
AG
Caught a 4 ft rat snake last night and relocated him away from the house.
spadilly
S
Saw a grey one slither into our garage while I was in the driveway. Found it but didn't get a good picture, only a live picture that I could go back and screenshot.

Couldn't tell what kind. (Think it was a coachwhip or racer because it was so quick, didn't hesitate to strike at the rake I was using to find it, and was much larger than the Texas browns we see normally)

Guided it out of the corner, and it followed the wall out much faster than I expected. All I could get was the last half here:

FTAG 2000
AG
spadilly said:

Saw a grey one slither into our garage while I was in the driveway. Found it but didn't get a good picture, only a live picture that I could go back and screenshot.

Couldn't tell what kind. (Think it was a coachwhip or racer because it was so quick, didn't hesitate to strike at the rake I was using to find it, and was much larger than the Texas browns we see normally)

Guided it out of the corner, and it followed the wall out much faster than I expected. All I could get was the last half here:

Black mamba. Sorry man. Light it all on fire and move a thousand miles away.
Daddy-O5
AG
Not many snakes around the neighborhood lake. Lots of turtles though.

maroon barchetta
Daddy-O5 said:

Not many snakes around the neighborhood lake. Lots of turtles though.

First one is a Come At Me Bro caption waiting to happen.
Daddy-O5
AG

maroon barchetta
Null and Void
Retention pond water level is down 3', and dbws sightings have been rare the last several weeks. Looks like the eating is still good though.
88Warrior
Anyone know what the estimated population difference is of water snakes vs. mocs?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I'd guess 20 to 1 or so based on the quantities I see from threads and FB groups like this. No knowledge beyond that.
12f Mane
AG
Kind of a loaded question as there are many different factors that could influence how many of which species are where. Keep in mind there are 7 native species (debatable 8) of water snake in Texas compared to just one species of cottonmouth.
88Warrior
12f Mane said:

Kind of a loaded question as there are many different factors that could influence how many of which species are where. Keep in mind there are 7 native species (debatable 8) of water snake in Texas compared to just one species of cottonmouth.

Yeah I didn't word that very well…basically curious of population difference between non-venomous water snakes (all types) vs. venomous water moccasins in general…I know there's no way to get an accurate answer just a WAG…
12f Mane
AG
In the coastal preserves I'd put cottonmouths up there with the most common snakes, but still out numbered pretty significantly by the other 2-4 watersnake species that are present.
88Warrior
12f Mane said:

In the coastal preserves I'd put cottonmouths up there with the most common snakes, but still out numbered pretty significantly by the other 2-4 watersnake species that are present.

Growing up wade fishing for Kentucky Spotted Bass on Turkey and Hickory Creeks in Tyler County we called all water snakes moccasins back then…My dad was deathly afraid of snakes so that's where that came from…Never knew there were so many non-venomous water snake species until following this thread…
TX_AG_10
AG
Same. I year or so ago I started following a snake ID group on Facebook after finally facing the fact that I did not really know how to ID a snake. Now I can pretty safely ID most common S/E Texas snakes and I can pretty much guarantee someone if it's venomous or not.
Badace52
AG
Here are some water snakes from today... As far as to how significantly do other water snakes outnumber cottonmouths, it is highly dependent on location as 12f stated. In my experience, I'd say 2-4:1 in east Texas and coastal Texas riparian habitats, and closer to 10:1 or higher in hill country riparian habitats.

CM
4stringAg
AG
Just in my observation fishing local ponds/lakes in TN and MS I'd guess I see 5 water snakes for every cottonmouth (not scientific). However on bigger water and oxbows that I've fished that have cypress or willow swampish type areas, I see a bunch more cottonmouths. Not sure if that's due to simply more cover and the cottonmouths preferring it and not the more open banks of smaller ponds and lakes or some other reason.
ATX_AG_08
AG
I do a lot of fishing in neighborhood ponds, creeks, retention tanks, etc..Probably see about 3 water snakes every time I go, mostly diamond backs. I can't even remember the last time I saw a moccasin. It's easily been over 5 years. Prob seen over 100 non venomous water snakes over the same time frame. Central Texas.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Sealy Prarie

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.