Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

339,361 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep Western ribbon snake. Also called redstripe ribbon snake.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BaitShack
AG
Saw this little guy the other morning.
Txgunrnnr
AG
BaitShack said:

Nope, nope & nope!
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Badace52
AG
BaitShack said:

That is absolutely beautiful coloration for a copperhead.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
Agreed
spadilly
S
Looks like he was sniffing you out.
WestTexAg12
AG
BaitShack said:

Nope. Kill that MFer. All of them.
Stive
AG
You must be new here.
TacosaurusRex
Stive said:

You must be new here.

I give him a pass after the day he had.
WestTexAg12
AG
Stive said:

You must be new here.

Not new. Just hate copperheads now. Kind of like when someone hits your kid. You have all the hate in the world for that thing now.
Stive
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Stive said:

You must be new here.

Not new. Just hate copperheads now. Kind of like when someone hits your kid. You have all the hate in the world for that thing now.

Fair enough. But I'm betting I know who started the fight between the snake and the dog.
WestTexAg12
AG
Stive said:

WestTexAg12 said:

Stive said:

You must be new here.

Fair enough. But I'm betting I know who started the fight between the snake and the dog.

The snake did for sure. It was trespassing and my dog was just enforcing my No Trespassing rule.
Stive
MouthBQ98
AG
Biggest ribbon snake I have ever seen. Was something like 30"

12f Mane
AG
I can smell it from here
P.U.T.U
AG
12f Mane said:

I can smell it from here
Ha, my first thought as well. Been there smelled that
MouthBQ98
AG
Yep, it "musked" me.
Double Twin Marine
AG
New to the snake thread and love the info I've learned so far as I was a see it and kill it before I started following this thread. For us newer to snake types, is it possible for those who post to say what kind of snake it is.

Yes the snake ID is usually followed up later but not always.
Jbob04
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

TacosaurusRex said:

Poor pup.

Also, for future reference. Nationwide pet insurance covers snake bites. I know this will probably cause a debate, but so far I have come out ahead having my GSP covered.

I may have to start doing this. So far, in his 2.5 year life span, I've had
(2) copperhead bites
(2) times running through barbed wire chasing jackrabbits while hunting

I'm sure he will do something else

Our GSP got bit two days in a row this weekend by copperheads. Lots of swelling but the Benadryl worked quickly for us.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not that I disagree with your posts particularly about IDing the snake, but the better way to learn snake ID is to post pics and give people a platform to guess ID. If you're wrong, it will be corrected…

So long as no one is in an emergency situation, the ID normally doesn't take that long on here. It's also fun to see people learn!
Double Twin Marine
AG
Fair point and good strategy. I keep falling into the "I want confirmation now" category I guess.

I did ID the last copperhead but wasn't sure off the bat seeing how there's about 43 different color variations it seems of every type of snake.
maroon barchetta
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Not that I disagree with your posts particularly about IDing the snake, but the better way to learn snake ID is to post pics and give people a platform to guess ID. If you're wrong, it will be corrected…

So long as no one is in an emergency situation, the ID normally doesn't take that long on here. It's also fun to see people learn!

If I'm in an emergency situation I'm sure not going to TexAgs to see if anybody is monitoring the thread!!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Man, I hear you and I'd also add that there probably isn't any real emergency situation… if you need to kill it, kill it and not worry about ID (not really needed anyways).
Badace52
AG
If the snake isn't around a home, children, or pets there really isn't much reason to kill any snake. Just get away from the snake if you aren't sure of the ID. The fastest snakes in the world can't even outpace a slow human at a moderate jog.
CM
HoldMyBeer
AG
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Double Twin Marine said:

Fair point and good strategy. I keep falling into the "I want confirmation now" category I guess.

I did ID the last copperhead but wasn't sure off the bat seeing how there's about 43 different color variations it seems of every type of snake.
Join Texas Snake ID on Facebook. It's like doing snake flashcards all day. This thread got me started a year or two back, but that page has given me a lot more practice.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
maroon barchetta said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

If I'm in an emergency situation I'm sure not going to TexAgs to see if anybody is monitoring the thread!!
Handle: "Guys, I found this snake, I think it's a Copper-headed Rattle-Mocassin, and I'm sitting here with a hoe and a .22, should I kill it?"
[PIC Posted]

TexAgs /F34: <2 hours later> "NOOO! It's a [nice snake]!"

Handle: "It's dead."
maroon barchetta
cheeky
AG
Badace52 said:

If the snake isn't around a home, children, or pets there really isn't much reason to kill any snake. Just get away from the snake if you aren't sure of the ID. The fastest snakes in the world can't even outpace a slow human at a moderate jog.
I would rate a moderate jog at 5 mph. A quick fact check disputes the last sentence. The fastest snake in the United States, the coachwhip, can easily out hustle most Americans at 10 mph. The fastest snake in the world, the sidewinder, has elite speed at 18 mph.
Stive
AG
Fiduciary said:

Badace52 said:

I would rate a moderate jog at 5 mph. A quick fact check disputes the last sentence. The fastest snake in the United States, the coachwhip, can easily out hustle most Americans at 10 mph. The fastest snake in the world, the sidewinder, has elite speed at 18 mph.
Sidewinders are the fastest? Interesting
Badace52
AG
So I was going off the black mamba speed at 12 mph which is the fastest a snake can move on level ground, and yes that's a sprint for a slow person or a moderate jog for most people so I guess it's a bit of hyperbole.

Sidewinders do not actually slither at 18 mph. They can only move that fast while falling down sand dunes with their classic side winding motion. Without gravity's aid they don't move that fast. I don't really think that should count or we would be rating animal speeds at their terminal velocity based of aerodynamics.

As an aside, when people say the peregrine falcon is the fastest animal on earth, this is also gravity aided as they dive bomb at over 200 mph. However many duck species are faster in level flight.
CM
Badace52
AG
They're not really. See above.
CM
cheeky
AG
Badace52 said:

So I was going off the black mamba speed at 12 mph which is the fastest a snake can move on level ground, and yes that's a sprint for a slow person or a moderate jog for most people so I guess it's a bit of hyperbole.

Sidewinders do not actually slither at 18 mph. They can only move that fast while falling down sand dunes with their classic side winding motion. Without gravity's aid they don't move that fast. I don't really think that should count or we would be rating animal speeds at their terminal velocity based of aerodynamics.

As an aside, when people say the peregrine falcon is the fastest animal on earth, this is also gravity aided as they dive bomb at over 200 mph. However many duck species are faster in level flight.
Ask me how I know that you don't jog? 12mph is a 5 minute mile. That is running speed for most, sprinting speed for many, and unattainable by some of the OB. Fortunately there are no black mambas in the area and I doubt anyone will try to fall down a sand dune faster than a sidewinder. None of this really matters. Carry on!
Sailor
Fiduciary said:

Badace52 said:

Ask me how I know that you don't jog? 12mph is a 5 minute mile. That is running speed for most, sprinting speed for many, and unattainable by some of the OB. Fortunately there are no black mambas in the area and I doubt anyone will try to fall down a sand dune faster than a sidewinder. None of this really matters. Carry on!
What's interesting is that the fastest animal in level flight is the Mexican free-tailed bat, as they can routinely reach speeds of 90mph with some that have been clocked at 110mph.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I always thought it was the deer botfly; but that's been debunked so I'll go with yours

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.