Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,384 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Garner State Park on the way to the pavilion

We think Indigo, but not 100%

Sure looks like it to me.

And whoever created youtube shorts needs to get kicked repeatedly in the face.

Sorry; that's my fault - I was trying to just upload the video then got distracted by all the options... I have a short attention span
Haha not you... I mean whoever at Youtube that made it a thing.
dodger02
AG

Moving this one here from another thread...

He wants an ID.
Daddy-O5
AG
Great plains rat snake
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

Great plains rat snake
I have trouble telling apart these and prairie kingsnakes. Any advice?
Courtesy Flush
AG
ShouldastayedataTm said:

Timber?

Yes. Timber Rattler in west Wharton county. He was near our barn where I've seen cotton mouths and rat snakes but this was the first rattler I've seen in the area. Was very young. Only had a few very small rattles
Mr President Elect
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Daddy-O5 said:

Great plains rat snake
I'm no expert, but I can usually tell the kingsnakes by their slender heads.
Daddy-O5
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Daddy-O5 said:

Great plains rat snake
It's in a tree and it looks like a rat snake?*

*Cautiously awaiting an actual expert to confirm my ID so I don't look like a total dumbass.

In all seriousness I can't put my finger on it, the bandit "mask' seems thicker and continuous on the rat snakes, head/neck transition a little more pronounced, looks kind of two tone with that white underbelly.

A true expert could come and tell me I'm way off on some of these details, but it truly just looks more like a rat snake than a king snake to me. I couldn't tell you if there are any actual objective/tangible ways to differentiate by physical traits.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

Daddy-O5 said:

Great plains rat snake
It's in a tree and it looks like a rat snake?*

*Cautiously awaiting an actual expert to confirm my ID so I don't look like a total dumbass.

In all seriousness I can't put my finger on it, the bandit "mask' seems thicker and continuous on the rat snakes, head/neck transition a little more pronounced, looks kind of two tone with that white underbelly.

A true expert could come and tell me I'm way off on some of these details, but it truly just looks more like a rat snake than a king snake to me. I couldn't tell you if there are any actual objective/tangible ways to differentiate by physical traits.
High as your hat...

Yeah, I definitely see a more triangular shaped head on the rat snakes compared to the king snakes.
YellAgs
AG
Courtesy Flush said:

ShouldastayedataTm said:

Timber?

Yes. Timber Rattler in west Wharton county. He was near our barn where I've seen cotton mouths and rat snakes but this was the first rattler I've seen in the area. Was very young. Only had a few very small rattles
dang i didn't know timbers were that far west
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Layne Staley said:

Is he eating a toad?
Hope it's not Pete.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
12f Mane
AG
Texas ratsnake
3 Toed Pete
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Layne Staley said:

Is he eating a toad?
Hope it's not Pete.

billyboy2001
AG

ATX_AG_08
AG
Patchnose?
Badace52
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Patchnose?
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
billyboy2001
AG
Yessir! It sure seems like it!
Big Shoulders
Saw this guy on the golf course in N.E. Florida today. About 4ft.

Big Shoulders
Southern Watersnake?
Stive
AG
Big Shoulders said:

Southern Watersnake?

I'd like to hear the experts on this one. The mascara on that last photo had me thinking CM but when you zoom in on the next to last photo you can see little vertical lines on the bottom jaw. The body pattern doesn't seem like CM though.
McInnis
AG

What is this little guy? I see them all the time where I live in NW Wyoming, sometimes in the mountains at 7,000 ft elevation so they must be pretty tough. I tried to put my finger next to him to show perspective but he kept snapping at it so he's spunky as well. I would estimate he's 7-8 inches long and about a half inch in diameter but I've seen them a little bit bigger than that.

What do they eat? Insects? I would think a hungry mouse would make a snack of him. They must burrow pretty deep in the winter to keep from freezing, but I wonder how?
Badace52
AG
Wandering garter snake. Mostly reptiles and amphibians and small fish.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Nerodia fasciata... Also called the southern water snake. That looks like the subspecies known commonly as the Florida banded water snake.
CM
McInnis
AG
Thanks Badace, I did a search and found that Thamnophis elegans vagrens can live at elevations of up to 10,000 ft so what I'm seeing isn't even close to the limit of their range. Really interesting critters.
Big Shoulders
Badace52 said:

Nerodia fasciata... Also called the southern water snake. That looks like the subspecies known commonly as the Florida banded water snake.

Thank you. First live snake I have seen since moving to Florida almost 2years ago. Coincidentally, Mrs Big Shoulders saw one today too. Of course she claimed that the one she saw was about 10 feet long. (I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere).
zooguy96
Big Shoulders said:

Badace52 said:

Thank you. First live snake I have seen since moving to Florida almost 2years ago. Coincidentally, Mrs Big Shoulders saw one today too. Of course she claimed that the one she saw was about 10 feet long. (I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere).

Coulda been a reticulated python. Or, any of the other invasive snakes in Florida.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
billyboy2001
AG
Ran into this beauty today! Tried to get some good pictures but it kept trying to get under yucca.

BuddysBud
AG
The second picture shows why it's called a pit viper.
DaveAg02
AG
Black tail - awesome!
Stive
AG
What kind of rattler is that?
spadilly
S
Wow!
spadilly
S
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-tailed_rattlesnake
AZAG08
AG
So I'm behind from not having power for almost a week and lots of clean up but here in South West Florida post Ian the snakes are out in force.

We have always had a good number of snakes as our house backs up to thousands of acres of marshy preserve all the way to bays/gulf but the storm and all the left over debris has them everywhere. We stopped counting a long time ago.

Found some of these cleaning up the garage that flooded. Tons of the black racers around the outside of the house and especially in the debris. The corn snake was on the back porch last night when I moved a cooler. Our pool/pond filled up with snakes, small fish, and even a few legless lizards.

The one on the rocking chair came up onto the porch when the water started rising and went from chair to chair but wouldn't leave the porch for 3+ days

It's been quite the reptile adventure down here the last two weeks

SteveBott
AG
Dang. Full blown invasion
Badace52
AG
Very cool and the last one isn't even a snake.
CM
TAMU77CLAY
AG
you got a mess on your hands. Good luck

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.