Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,425 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
zooguy96 said:

Caught this guy on the road a couple of weeks ago. Holding in one hand and shifting and driving with the other hand. He was flailing around a good bit. Had forgotten about this thread. Too busy working during the summer (teacher) saving up for a food trailer.

What state? Florida?
DDSO
AG
I think he lives in Tennessee.
P.U.T.U
AG
There are corn snakes in Tennessee so that makes sense. Saw a few in Ashville years ago
Bullpen Chias
AG
You can find em here. This guy was on my back patio in College Station about four years ago.
zooguy96
TN. Corn snake.
HtownAg92
AG
Three years ago I was coming on here to help get identification on the cobra (Eastern Hognose) that we found in our yard in Houston. Now, I'm calling out the rats and kings and water snakes and corns on here like I was born to do it.

Thanks, TexAgs Snake Experts
jgh85Ag
AG
Yep, I used to think any dark colored snake in the water was a poisonous copper mouth.
zooguy96
jgh85Ag said:

Yep, I used to think any dark colored snake in the water was a venomous copper mouth.

FIFY.
DaveAg02
AG
zooguy96 said:

jgh85Ag said:

Yep, I used to think any dark colored snake in the water was a venomous copper mouth.

FIFY.

That was the joke.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Got a little guy living in an ICV.

P.U.T.U
AG
Hey stupid snake, you have lunch by the end of your tail
TX_AG_10
AG
Dekays Brown Snake?
Daddy-O5
spadilly
S
Between this and the Texas snake ID Facebook group, I've become about 90% accurate when I see a picture. Still working on the water snakes.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Badace52 said:

fasthorse05 said:

DaveAg02 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

What's the speculation on prevalence of snakes vs sightings? In other words, if you see 1 snake of a type in your rural property; how many does that mean are truly around?

I don't think that's something you could put together due to the dramatic seasonal differences in snake activity. I do think people dramatically underestimate the number of snakes right around them.
Speaking of, do dogs have a natural fear of snakes, or do they have to be taught to avoid any snake?

In my experience, dogs usually have to get bit a time or two to learn to fear snakes.

It was the same with me and Tauruses.
Leto Agtreides II
AG
What time of day was this? At this time of year what time of the day are you most likely and least likely to see one of these guys on a trail like this? I'm assuming they're most likely to be out in the morning before it gets too hot so I've been terrified of this happening on morning trail runs.
agcrock2005
AG
Leto Agtreides II said:

What time of day was this? At this time of year what time of the day are you most likely and least likely to see one of these guys on a trail like this? I'm assuming they're most likely to be out in the morning before it gets too hot so I've been terrified of this happening on morning trail runs.
I'm no expert, but I don't think snakes are trying to get out of the heat.
Leto Agtreides II
AG
I guess my phrasing could have been better but they do seek shelter/shade when it's too hot during the day, which means they would be more likely to be out and moving in the morning than in the afternoon in 100 degree temps.
agcrock2005
AG
Leto Agtreides II said:

I guess my phrasing could have been better but they do seek shelter/shade when it's too hot during the day, which means they would be more likely to be out and moving in the morning than in the afternoon in 100 degree temps.
I was just jacking with you. My experience which is mostly hunting...if it's colder at night then I'll see them during day when it's warm but when it's hot as heck outside I'll see them any time. I almost stepped on a 5' rattlesnake a few weeks ago at 1AM (looking for Axis) in Eden area. Hopefully one of the experts will chime in but I assumed they were active then because it was hot at all times and they didn't have to find warmth at night.
Vepp
Leto Agtreides II said:

**Not an expert**

This was before 10:00 AM. In my experience, you are most likely to see these guys before it gets too hot (early morning) or directly after a really good downpour. My general advice to people who like early morning trail running is to keep one eye on the trail and one eye looking for the glint of a spider web. Early morning contrast (particularly in the shade) makes it really difficult to spot everything, so there is definitely an inherent risk. Once the sun is high in the sky the spider webs burn off and the snakes seek cover. I can't imagine riding a mountain bike through tight, single-track trails. It would be virtually impossible to avoid a sunning, camouflaged snake.

Quick anecdote, I was trail running @ around 8:00 min/mile, navigated a tight turn bordered by tall brush and grass, and the largest western diamondback I've ever seen was on the trail. My split-second choice was to jump sideways into the brush (risking injury) or jump over the rattler. I chose the latter. Probably the most exciting (and terrifying) half-second of my life. Remember when you were riding bikes as a kid and took a nasty tumble? The feeling like the abyss was kind of staring back at you as time stood still? Felt like that.
cuz-i-can
AG
Not a snake but thought you guys might like this...

davidmargarita
AG
Old man sent me this pic tonight. Said it was approx. 4 foot long. He guessed bull snake but I'm thinking rat? Weatherford area.

Badace52
AG
Absolutely a rat snake.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MAS444
AG
I finally get to contribute…

Was climbing up Cornet Falls in Telluride, Co and saw this dude sunning on a rock. Been coming here and hiking for 10 years and have never seen a snake. I'm assuming it's a water snake of some sort?

txags92
AG
Looks like maybe a checkered garter or some other variety of garter snake.
Badace52
AG
I believe it is a Western Terrestrial Garter Snake... Probably the wandering garter snake subspecies.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BaitShack
AG
I see snakes in the mornings and evenings. Then again, that's when I walk. Saw another yesterday.

maroon barchetta
Pretty
DatTallArchitect
AG
Some of these copperhead show why you can't go off color
txags92
AG
That is a beautiful snake. I had to look at the vegetation in the corner of the photo to realize it wasn't taken in black and white mode.
Badace52
AG
Not a snake, but my brother walked right past this guy, just a foot or two away, at work today and didn't see him until he passed back by...

CM
Daddy-O5
AG
Gators don't inherently bother me, but having one sneak up on you like that would certainly be an "oh sh*t" moment.
12th Man Ag
AG
Don't let your grass get too high in Humble. About 18".
Boring Username
AG
1st time posting here. We are at ranch and I hear my 9 yo daughter say to my 7 yo son, "don't go under the porch, there might be snakes in there....wait!, there is a snake, hurry up and get out!"

My son was crawling under porch about 4' from this guy. Darker than most rattlesnakes we see here.
Boring Username
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.