Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,396 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
agz win
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It used to be until a day last year that the hoe didn't have the angle strength to deter a really thick copperhead in my garage. Size like a full grown moccasin and very green colors rather than the usual tan to match the pine needles. Still enjoy seeing the remaining dried blood stains on the concrete as a notice to any other unwanted visitors.

maroon barchetta
Snapped this down the road just awhile ago.

Beautiful markings.

BrokeAssAggie
Hognose?
ttha_aggie_09
DatTallArchitect
AG
Great Texas cobra pics!
maroon barchetta
Hognose!
Badace52
AG
Probably my favorite regularly seen snake in Texas.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rugger74
AG
agz win said:

It used to be until a day last year that the hoe didn't have the angle strength to deter a really thick copperhead in my garage. Size like a full grown moccasin and very green colors rather than the usual tan to match the pine needles. Still enjoy seeing the remaining dried blood stains on the concrete as a notice to any other unwanted visitors.

A sharpshooter is too much like hand to hand combat, I need a little more space and distance.
txags92
AG
From the "Stories from Texas" Facebook page. For sale, one John Deere Tractor, in good shape except for the rattle.
maroon barchetta
Gorgeous markings.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Is that an eastern? The pattern looks a little different to me.
Decay
AG
Damn thing looks embroidered
MyNameIsJeff
AG
It's probably plastic. It looks too... clean.
P.U.T.U
AG
Badace52 said:

Sounds odd coming from someone that has probably seen over 1000 snakes in my almost 40 years but I have never seen a hognose in the wild. Grew up in Houston and now live just northeast of Dallas and nada. Sure I will eventually see one on our property in Carmine but always lived in areas too damp
Badace52
AG
Eastern hognoses love riparian habitats. They eat almost exclusively frogs and toads. They are by no means the most commonly seen snakes in Texas ( Texas rat snakes, ribbon snakes, brown snakes and rough earth snakes probably among the most common) but they are not a rare sighting either. It's surprising that you haven't seen them in the Houston area. However, they are usually black around there and can easily be mistaken for yellow bellied water snakes.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
Speaking of Carmine, nephew killed this snake last weekend, first thought was northern diamondback water snake but not sure on this one. Lighter skin color than I am used to and the pattern stops half way. Looks like someone needs to shed as well

maroon barchetta
P.U.T.U said:

Badace52 said:

Sounds odd coming from someone that has probably seen over 1000 snakes in my almost 40 years but I have never seen a hognose in the wild. Grew up in Houston and now live just northeast of Dallas and nada. Sure I will eventually see one on our property in Carmine but always lived in areas too damp

First one I've seen in ten years, and that was at Parrie Haynes Ranch near Killeen.
Badace52
AG
Pretty sure you were right with the DBWS ID.
CM
3 Toed Pete
AG
Badace52 said:

Eastern hognoses love riparian habitats. They eat almost exclusively frogs and toads. They are by no means the most commonly seen snakes in Texas ( Texas rat snakes, ribbon snakes, brown snakes and rough earth snakes probably among the most common) but they are not a rare sighting either. It's surprising that you haven't seen them in the Houston area. However, they are usually black around there and can easily be mistaken for yellow bellied water snakes.
Never knew that and good to know. But dang, one more thing to remember about IDing the water snakes.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
The pattern (or lack there of) is somewhat unique for a DBWS but I don't see how it is any other species.
STB 85
AG
Great Plains Rat? Question: what are the different sub-species of rat snakes found in Texas, and are they equally as common?

https://imgur.com/a/9ZLZdLx

Edit: I'll never figure this photo posting thing out
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Pic help:
BrokeAssAggie
King snake or bull?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I believe the OP has the correct ID. The eye stripe is a pretty big tell.
BrokeAssAggie
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I believe the OP has the correct ID. The eye stripe is a pretty big tell.

Oh I see. Good looking rat snake.
12f Mane
AG
Correct on the ID. "Great Plains," "Thornscrub," and "Southwestern" have all been used to describe that species in Texas and define subspecies. They are all pretty common. In east and east central Texas they become Slowinski's cornsnakes and have a different look, but the genetics of all are murky and interbreed where their ranges overlap.
ttha_aggie_09
STB 85
AG
12f,

Thanks for the follow up. If I may ask further, are the photos posted on page 5 by Bones97 and MouthBQ98 Texas Rat snakes or maybe Western Rats? They seem to be a different species (or sub-species) than the Great Plains Rat, as they are missing the eye line and "spear" patterns on the top of the head. Just had me wondering how many different varieties of rat snakes we have in Texas.

Oh, and thank you Ttha-Aggie for the pic assist.
12f Mane
AG
"Texas" and "western" are the same thing. There was a taxonomic change a few years ago that separated the American ratsnakes into species (they were previously all the same species, just broken out into subspecies). Our Texas ratsnakes got renamed Western. I'm personally not a fan of the name change or taxonomic change, and it's a common thing in herpetology at the moment.

That said, western ratsnakes and great plains (southwestern) ratsnakes are different species, and at the moment slowinski's ratsnakes are separated as well.

Western (previously Texas) Ratsnake

Great Plains (Southwestern) Ratsnake

Slowinki's (corn) Ratsnake
STB 85
AG
Thanks for your knowledge and contributions, 12f. We've all learned so much from you…
tk111
AG
12f Mane said:

"Texas" and "western" are the same thing. There was a taxonomic change a few years ago that separated the American ratsnakes into species (they were previously all the same species, just broken out into subspecies). Our Texas ratsnakes got renamed Western. I'm personally not a fan of the name change or taxonomic change, and it's a common thing in herpetology at the moment.
This is interesting...My understanding of separation of species was purely based on ability to produce viable offspring, so I thought the question was as simple as "can they have babies that can have babies or not?".
12f Mane
AG
I don't think that is the current differentiation.
maroon barchetta
What day you?

Very small snake. Just a baby. My friend that is my go-to for snake knowledge says plain bellied water snake.
Ag83
AG
maroon barchetta said:

What day you?

Very small snake. Just a baby. My friend that is my go-to for snake knowledge says plain bellied water snake.

Agree with your friend.
maroon barchetta
Thanks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.