Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

339,398 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
malenurse
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
12f Mane said:

western diamondback rattlesnake

It's the cat going to be in trouble with TPWD?
BrokeAssAggie
Thanks. Cool looking snake.
12f Mane
AG
You're thinking of timber rattlesnakes, and they were delisted last year.
garsnare
I need some assistance with an ID of a snake I found on my hike this morning in the Big Thicket. I was thinking juvenile Slowinski's corn snake. I found an adult Slowinski's corn snake in the same general vicinity back in May. The colors are more muted than the adult, but the head shape and eyes are the same and the pattern is similar. What do you think?

maroon barchetta
What area is that?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
garsnare said:

I need some assistance with an ID of a snake I found on my hike this morning in the Big Thicket. I was thinking juvenile Slowinski's corn snake. I found an adult Slowinski's corn snake in the same general vicinity back in May. The colors are more muted than the adult, but the head shape and eyes are the same and the pattern is similar. What do you think?

My vote is tan racer. That head and big eyes scream racer to me, and the range map I reference shows a small area of them right where you seem to be.

12f Mane
AG
Agreed
garsnare
Thanks! That is the first tan racer I recall seeing. According to the map you posted, they have a very small range. Essentially right here where I live. I was hoping it was another Slowinski's, but this is a pretty cool find.
malenurse
AG
Georgetown area
12f Mane
AG
Tan racers are really neat snakes.

maroon barchetta
Cats killed this overnight.

Young rat snake?
Daddy-O5
AG
Rat snake
FTAG 2000
AG
malenurse said:

Identification please
Friends cat killed this on their back porch. Cats at the vet.

big boy
Aggieangler93
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

malenurse said:

Identification please
Friends cat killed this on their back porch. Cats at the vet.

big boy
Did the cat make it? I hate cats. but curiosity has this one now.....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
MouthBQ98
AG
One more before the cold hits. Collies cornered it in the back yard. Water snake. Big plain belly? About 40"

THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Is that not a water moccasin?
FrioAg 00
AG
I see vertical lines on the lower jaw - easiest way to rule out anything venomous
12th Man Ag
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Nope. See FrioAg's description. Those vertical lines are the absolute easiest way to tell it is a water snake and not a cottonmouth. But, those water snakes can be big suckers and they scare the crap out of people.
Ag97
AG
I can smell the musk off that thing through my computer screen.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
12th Man Ag said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Nope. See FrioAg's description. Those vertical lines are the absolute easiest way to tell it is a water snake and not a cottonmouth. But, those water snakes can be big suckers and they scare the crap out of people.

I guess the tail, also, kind of gives it away,.
12f Mane
AG
Tails aren't always a great indicator because many individuals will have stump tails, losing them to a predator or bad shed or something. Watersnakes are especially prone to losing their tails.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

12th Man Ag said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I guess the tail, also, kind of gives it away,.
The "chalky" lines perpendicular to the body (google juvenile plain bellied watersnake - these are what's left of their pattern once they mature), the vertical bars on the mouth, head shape/eye placement, etc are what tells me.

Head shape is controversial. The key is that you could see this snake's eyes from directly above rather than them being covered by the ridges that water moccasins have.
FrioAg 00
AG
I can honestly never identify by the head shape. This thread has taught me that over the years.

The mascara was what I thought was foolproof, until a recent post taught me otherwise.
MouthBQ98
AG
You can tell really fast looking at the head. Moccasins have sharp features with eye brows and the nose being sharply well defined, and also with the creme and black cheeks.

Even when a water snake flares it's jaws into a triangle shape, it has smoother rounded head features without the brow ridges without the cheek strips, and always with the scale defined jaw stripes.

Don't let the fat body and scale keeling throw you off.
1990AG
AG
What happened to the cat?

4stringAg
AG
Here's a shot you can zoom in of a moccasins head to add to MouthBQs post

Not same snake but alternate pic of moccasin

Coward Jimbo
AG
Is there a difference in the way a moccasin and a water snake swim?
FrioAg 00
AG
I've always heard WM swim on the surface, which allows them to bite with venom. But thats probably just an old tale.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Yeah, a moccasin's whole body will be on top of the water when it swims. A water snake will just have its head sticking out of the water.
MouthBQ98
AG
Pit vipers can dive but I guess they've got larger lung volume than water snakes and they tend to swim with much of their bodies well up out of the water versus mostly just under the surface. It's very noticeable.
P.U.T.U
AG
G-Town Cracker said:

Yeah, a moccasin's whole body will be on top of the water when it swims. A water snake will just have its head sticking out of the water.
I used to do open water swims for triathlons, you know the difference right away when you are on the same level as them. And also you can swim 200% faster when you see the snake is swimming on top of the water
Double Twin Marine
AG
Please help identify. Is this a Brown snake or something a juvenile copperhead. I think it's just a brown snake but want to verify as he's next to the house
ATX_AG_08
AG
Brown. Non venomous for sure.
Badace52
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

This
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Double Twin Marine
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Thank you. Thats what I thought so turning him loose.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.