Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

337,780 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BQ_00
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stepped right by it hiking in Mckittrick Canyon. Heard it move and was thinking it was probably a really big spiny lizard, and when I took a closer look at the source, there was a rattler instead. About 2' long. I've only ever seen this one example as well.
P.U.T.U
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Stepped right by it hiking in Mckittrick Canyon. Heard it move and was thinking it was probably a really big spiny lizard, and when I took a closer look at the source, there was a rattler instead. About 2' long. I've only ever seen this one example as well.
Most people's heart would have stopped if they were that close to a venemous snake. To MouthBQ98 it's just another Tuesday
BreNayPop
AG
Having been up and down McKittrick Canyon recently this summer, that definitely serves as a reminder to monitor where I sit and where I walk. LOL
Badace52
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I've always wanted to get out to McKittrick Canyon. How was it? Any fall color yet?
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MouthBQ98
AG
Beautiful as usual. Color change is just starting. You have about a month to catch it.
agcrock2005
AG
Daddy-O5
AG
Not sure if there's still confusion about the ID. Badace confirmed Mottled Rock Rattlesnake.
agcrock2005
AG
Ahh...didn't see it. Thanks.
MouthBQ98
AG
Also, collies just found this guy in the back yard and gave him a good barking at:

MyNameIsJeff
AG
Yellow bellied racer for those that may not know. Was he pretty relaxed being handled?
fasthorse05
Those are the coolest snakes.

The Mottled Rock looks kinda small, in relation to other Rattlers. Of course, he may be a juvenile, or I the grass may be getting in the way of me seeing the whole snake.

And Mottled Rock sounds like a new wine.
MouthBQ98
AG
Fairly mellow, as it was somewhat cool outside. Wanted to escape but I have hardware cloth mesh around the base of my fence. Then he coiled into a ball, head down, sort of continuously writhing.

Wasn't sure how bitey they are but this one wasn't.
zooguy96
MyNameIsJeff said:

Yellow bellied racer for those that may not know. Was he pretty relaxed being handled?

Most racers I've handled are pretty chill. A little musky (go to the bathroom on you) once in a while, but among the more docile snakes.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Badace52
AG
Once you get a hold of them... They are pretty quick to get away. Much like coachwhips. Except coachwhips are very bitey once you catch up to them.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
zooguy96 said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

Most racers I've handled are pretty chill. A little musky (go to the bathroom on you) once in a while, but among the more docile snakes.
Agreed. As musks go, theirs aren't that bad.

Jabin
What is this little guy?

maroon barchetta
It's a snake.
Daddy-O5
AG
Dekays brown
Jabin
Thanks!
spadilly
S
One of the good guys. Takes care of the slugs in your gardens/flowerbeds.
TarponChaser
Didn't know it but evidently a hospital in Kingwood treats more snake bites than anywhere in the country.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/humble-kingwood/article/Kingwood-hospital-No-1-in-the-country-for-17516017.php?fbclid=IwAR366ZYKfeH8kaYz-JzAE-hJyXgviKR79b1nlHtd3h3EkfhE7TsJnLYJ6Qk
txags92
AG
TarponChaser said:

Didn't know it but evidently a hospital in Kingwood treats more snake bites than anywhere in the country.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/humble-kingwood/article/Kingwood-hospital-No-1-in-the-country-for-17516017.php?fbclid=IwAR366ZYKfeH8kaYz-JzAE-hJyXgviKR79b1nlHtd3h3EkfhE7TsJnLYJ6Qk
Must be down the street from MouthBQ's place.
maroon barchetta
All those snakes get to higher ground and are grumpy when Lake Conroe decides to flood them out.
P.U.T.U
AG
TarponChaser said:

My friend that got bit by a copperhead on the previous page got treated by him, lots of people in that area and lots of woods/lakes. Makes sense
SpreadsheetAg
AG
maroon barchetta said:

It's a snake.

If I had coffee; it would be all over my keyboard
SpreadsheetAg
AG
txags92 said:

TarponChaser said:

Mouth has always been that way - will chase down animals and pick them up to show us. He pulled a turtle out from under a boulder in the river on the Frio… dove down in his snorkel and just yanked it out of a crag and hauled it up… who does that?
Courtesy Flush
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

It's a snake.

If that joke is spit your coffee out funny, I've got a few zingers that would make you shat your pants
maroon barchetta
Courtesy Flush said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

It's a snake.

If that joke is spit your coffee out funny, I've got a few zingers that would make you shat your pants

Username does not check out.
HtownAg92
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

txags92 said:

TarponChaser said:

Mouth has always been that way - will chase down animals and pick them up to show us. He pulled a turtle out from under a boulder in the river on the Frio… dove down in his snorkel and just yanked it out of a crag and hauled it up… who does that?
I had a buddy like that in high school. We'd be walking anywhere and he'd dart off and come back with some sort of animal. He could throw a lure in a little creek with 6" of water and catch something. When all the boys were called out by the city to relocate the catfish and grass carp that went over the spillway after a heavy rain, he was bare-handing them under the water while we were trying to net them.

csb -- He was also a big trapper. Always had traps and cages in the back of his little mini truck at school. We had a drug dog that came randomly every few weeks that went crazy alerting on his truck. They called him out to open it and didn't find any drugs -- instead about an inch deep covering of congealed blood on the back floorboard. Drug officer puked. /csb
CowtownAg06
AG
Python on the loose in West Houston. Hide yo pets and small children.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/10/23/be-on-the-lookout-python-roaming-in-west-houston-causes-panic-among-neighbors/
billyboy2001
AG
Another one.

bodaciousbood14
AG
P.U.T.U said:

TarponChaser said:

My friend that got bit by a copperhead on the previous page got treated by him, lots of people in that area and lots of woods/lakes. Makes sense
Spent a lot of time in those woods growing up in Kingwood...makes me wonder how many times I came close to a venomous one.
P.U.T.U
AG
Same but in Humble, tons of times in the woods around Lake Houston on foot or bike. We saw a lot of copperheads and some moccasins, after a while unless we were looking for snakes we knew what areas to stay away from
Courtesy Flush
AG
You were growing up in the Livable Forest. It's a wonder you survived to make it to your adult years.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Courtesy Flush said:

You were growing up in the Livable Forest. It's a wonder you survived to make it to your adult years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.