Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

337,779 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BQ_00
ag_pete09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Broad banded water snake?

Serious Lee
whats crazy is if you couldnt get the whole snake in the picture, id have been about 90% sure it was cottonmouth

ttha_aggie_09
ag_pete09
AG
Yeah agreed, I was having to look really close at the head. Zoomed to take picture then zoomed on phone, haha!
jpb1999
AG
What is this fatty?
jpb1999
AG

Badace52
AG
N. Erythrogaster... Probably what people would call a plain belly water snake.

Edit: this was a misidentification... 12fmane has the right ID below of Eastern Hognose.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jpb1999
AG
Awesome, thank you! Just wanted to make sure It wasn't a cotton mouth…. The head just looked pointy and thought a water snake would have more of a rounded head.

Are they good to have around? It is right in the back yard and really don't like it around the kids… don't want to kill it either though. Maybe relocate it?
Badace52
AG
It's not bad to have around... They eat mostly semiaquatic animals/fish but will take rodents too. Relocation isn't a bad idea, but before you do so, send me a better shot of the head or just post it here just to double check. I'm about 95% sure but I don't want to send somebody out to relocate a snake unless I'm at 100% sure nonvenomous.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ptery83

Florida golf course
maroon barchetta
Move closer so we can get a look!
Ptery83
Lol. It was too fast.
Badace52
AG
Ptery83 said:

Florida golf course

Pretty sure this is a southern black racer.
CM
Mas89
AG

What kind is this?
12f Mane
AG
jpb1999 said:

What is this fatty?

This is a hognose
Daddy-O5
AG
Mas89 said:

What kind is this?

Rat
Badace52
AG
12f Mane said:

jpb1999 said:

What is this fatty?

This is a hognose

Well it sure is... I was off there. I was thinking the head looked weird but I flat screwed that one up. My bad guys. I'll try to be better.
CM
jpb1999
AG
Thanks! So same question, any danger of having it around with 2 young kids that like to explore this area. It lives in a rock wall near the house. Any benefit of having it around? Or should I just try and relocate it?
Daddy-O5
AG
jpb1999 said:

Thanks! So same question, any danger of having it around with 2 young kids that like to explore this area. It lives in a rock wall near the house. Any benefit of having it around? Or should I just try and relocate it?

Leave it be. Diet of mainly frogs. Used to catch them fairly regularly as a kid. No risk to humans. Cool snakes.
BCO07
AG
Biggest brown snake I've ever run accross hanging out in clinic this morning. Nurses were freaking out, funny stuff

Eso si, Que es
12f Mane said:

"Texas" and "western" are the same thing. There was a taxonomic change a few years ago that separated the American ratsnakes into species (they were previously all the same species, just broken out into subspecies). Our Texas ratsnakes got renamed Western. I'm personally not a fan of the name change or taxonomic change, and it's a common thing in herpetology at the moment.

That said, western ratsnakes and great plains (southwestern) ratsnakes are different species, and at the moment slowinski's ratsnakes are separated as well.

Western (previously Texas) Ratsnake

Great Plains (Southwestern) Ratsnake

Slowinki's (corn) Ratsnake

are those 3 your personal pictures 12f? They all seem to have perfected the patented 12F pose.
12f Mane
AG
"Patented," lol.

Yep, those are mine.
aggiesportsfiend10
AG

Found taking a dip in the pool. Didn't realize they were such good swimmers but a little googling informed they're semi aquatic so makes sense.

It left the pool and curled under this cinder block. My 4yo was a bit scared at first but I explained to her why this was a good snake and we let it be.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

whats crazy is if you couldnt get the whole snake in the picture, id have been about 90% sure it was cottonmouth

My first thought was also a juvenile cottonmouth on this one. I've never seen a broadbanded watersnake with such a pattern. Cool find.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
When I was a kid farting around at the bayou and catching snakes with my home made snake tool (broom handle with a screw in utility hook), I caught one of these convinced it was a Cottonmouth. Being extremely stupid at the time, I decided to catch him and pick him up behind the head, after it was pinned down, to see if I could see/express his fangs. To my surprise, it had no fangs but had a bunch of rows of teeth... this was prior to google, so I had to look it up in my snake book at home to figure out it was a broad-banded water snake.

I caught several more growing up but they always seemed to have nasty attitudes. The only docile one I caught was probably 3.5' long and had a big lump in him from something he ate. He wouldn't strike at me and was moving very slowly (he recently fed). He finally decided he had enough, regurgitated a toad, and started striking like hell.

FrioAg 00
AG
Need an ID for the neighbor, Rat Snake?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hog nose
CURDOG90
AG
What is this one?
JSKolache
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Walt Luddiger said:

My first thought was also a juvenile cottonmouth on this one. I've never seen a broadbanded watersnake with such a pattern. Cool find.
We have these in the neighborhood. Look at the vertical mouth bars - that is water snake 100%
ttha_aggie_09
AG
CURDOG90 said:

What is this one?
Are you missing a link or referring to a previous post?
Texmid
AG
Facebook friend claiming this is a cottonmouth. Looks too skinny to me and I cannot tell if those are vertical lines under the mouth. What does the all-knowing Snake thread think?

Decay
AG
Texmid said:

Facebook friend claiming this is a cottonmouth. Looks too skinny to me and I cannot tell if those are vertical lines under the mouth. What does the all-knowing Snake thread think?

Yes, it has the vertical lines on the mouth. Dark coloration means one of the pros will have to chime in which variety it is, but it's a water snake.
TacosaurusRex
Decay said:

Texmid said:

Yes, it has the vertical lines on the mouth. Dark coloration means one of the pros will have to chime in which variety it is, but it's a water snake.
Cotton mouths generally have the chunky body and a very "short tail," right?
Texmid
AG
That is what I thought.
12f Mane
AG
diamondback watersnake

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.