Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,355 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
TRIDENT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sad deal:

https://www.caller.com/story/news/2022/05/02/texas-snake-handler-dies-bite-freer-rattlesnake-roundup/9616502002/

maroon barchetta
jrrhouston98
AG
My buddy was there when that happened. Said it was wild.
Ikanizer
AG
4stringAg said:

One to kick off the year:

On our property in rural Washington County we see lots of copperheads and rat snakes and occasionally a coral snake. Yesterday my wife yelled at me that there was a rat snake in the flower bed adjacent to the back patio. I came to look and it was almost black just like this one. It was coiled up and struck at a squeegie multiple times before leaving the scene. Not a rat snake. It had a thick body but not the kind of tail I associate with water moccasins. Please ID.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Edit because I realized that's not your picture.

Maybe a hog nose? No picture, right?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Hard to ID without a picture.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
My guess would be a plain bellied water snake. They can be almost solid black and are very often confused with water moccasins.
Ikanizer
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Hard to ID without a picture.
Yeah I was trying to get it in the open to get a photo but couldn't manage before he disappeared into the ivy ground cover. The snake looked like the one in the photo I responded to. It was almost totally black. There may have been a pattern on it but it was hard to see. When I tried to pin him down with a squeegie it coiled up and struck at it multiple times. I was hoping someone could read my description and look at the photo and give me an ID. This was a new one for me.
Ikanizer
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

My guess would be a plain bellied water snake. They can be almost solid black and are very often confused with water moccasins.
Our house is about 1/2 mile from the closest pond. Fat body but not the fast taper tail that I associate with water moccasins (just what I remember)
P.U.T.U
AG
Two water snakes, one of the smallest turtles I have ever seen, and when I was picking my son up from school there was a dead brown snake in the parking lot

TacosaurusRex
Did you pick up the water bottle?
Txgunrnnr
AG

I was going to say, "I've seen smaller turtles than that", until I saw the one you were talking about.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
P.U.T.U
AG
Couldn't reach it without falling in. I am not worried about Mr. Snakey, he would have just swam away if I got too close.

Yeah its the quarter/half dollar sized one on the log. Later on the walk we saw a pretty good sized soft shell turtle sunning but couldn't get close enough for a good picture before it went in the water. They seem to be more timid than the red eared
Decay
AG
Txgunrnnr said:

I was going to say, "I've seen smaller turtles than that", until I saw the one you were talking about.
He looks like one of those little metal frog clicker things
Ag83
AG
nm- misread
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Boy the snakes are out this year... Barker Reservoir

BadAzzBohemian
AG
Farm in Sealy

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Tons of Broad Banded water snakes in Barker! My old stomping grounds.
Decay
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Love that orange color
BadAzzBohemian
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

And water moccasins... occasional coral and copperheads.

Our back yard is the reservoir. Lots of them coming into the yard this year.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yep! Plenty of DBWS too. Go for a stroll at night along one of the bayous. If you're afraid of snakes you'll never do it again.
hdrydor
AG
My wife and I are vacationing in Prescott, AZ this week. Came across this guy today on a hike at Thumb Butte. I think it's probably a king snake or maybe a glossy snake? Would appreciate y'alls expert opinions.

Serious Lee
not an expert, but that looks like a bullsnake to me
Badace52
AG
hdrydor said:

My wife and I are vacationing in Prescott, AZ this week. Came across this guy today on a hike at Thumb Butte. I think it's probably a king snake or maybe a glossy snake? Would appreciate y'alls expert opinions.

It is a gopher snake. In that area almost has to be a Sonoran gopher snake. Bullsnakes are another subspecies of gopher snake so that answer is also not wrong but it's probably not that exact subspecies in this case.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hdrydor
AG
Thanks much. You're most certainly right!
TJaggie14
AG

Saw this while riding my bike through Jesse Jones Park the other day.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG

Katy. Cause of death is a fish hook. Tasted like chicken.
BCO07
AG
At what point do rat snakes get a dark head rather than a band accross it? Or is it a different sub species?
12f Mane
AG
BCO07 said:

At what point do rat snakes get a dark head rather than a band accross it? Or is it a different sub species?

Couple years and a couple feet of growth and the head pattern will fade to the unicolor adult phase. That's a great looking ratsnake.
12f Mane
AG
Couple recent snakes

Buttermilk racer from Montgomery County

Coachwhip from Brazos County

Broad-banded copperhead from Lavaca County

Prairie kingsnake from Colorado County
ATX_AG_08
AG
Here's a rat posted on my neighborhood page. Thought it had interesting color.

NoahAg
BadAzzBohemian said:

Boy the snakes are out this year... Barker Reservoir

You're right about that. I run the trail pretty often, and last week saw 2 BBWS and 1 young cottonmouth w/in 10 minutes. Just need to figure out how to post their pics, lol.
Let's go, Brandon!
BCO07
AG
yeah, i thought the orange/red was really cool. My boys enjoyed the show he put on
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Great pictures. How do you find all these? I spend a decent amount of time outdoors and hardly ever come across them.
Badace52
AG
Best way to find snakes is by "turning". Basically turning over large objects laying on the ground. It is dangerous though because you can't always see where you are putting your fingers and sometimes stings and bites happen.

You can also drive down rarely traveled roads on cool nights and will often find different reptiles warming themselves there.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.