Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

337,787 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BQ_00
Bassmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got home and found this guy outside my front door. Haven't seen one in forever. I put him in a box for a bit so I can show my boys when they get home from school.
Badace52
AG
Tpwd wants you to report all box turtle sightings. They'd be happy to know about this guy/gal.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
Flip it over and look at the underside. If the shell is concave its a male because they need the extra space to get it in there during turtle-style.
Bassmaster
AG
Thanks. My 8 year old is fired up about this and has already filled out the info.
Bassmaster
AG
Doesn't look concave to me, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I read earlier that the males have red eyes and females are yellow or golden. The eyes are somewhere between golden-ish and orange-ish. My son swears it is a male, I'm a little unsure.

txags92
AG
Bassmaster said:

Doesn't look concave to me, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I read earlier that the males have red eyes and females are yellow or golden. I think this is a lady because they are golden.

Give her a strawberry or two when you release her and you will have a friend for life. I have a coworker that has a pair that have been breeding in his yard for years. The female in particular likes to come by and look around in his compost pile for veggie scraps. Whenever he sees her, he lays a few strawberries or grapes out on the edge of the porch and she makes a beeline for them.
Badace52
AG
That's a female. Cloaca closer to belly and not concave on plastron.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag83
AG

Badace52
AG
Ag83 said:

Pretty much, Yeah.
CM
aggiedata
AG
Is that a Texas Tortoise?
txags92
AG
aggiedata said:

Three-toed Box Turtle
Funky Winkerbean
AG
12f Mane said:

Flip it over and look at the underside. If the shell is concave its a male because they need the extra space to get it in there during turtle-style.
Can you imagine when I throw that tid bit out during pillow talk? Guaranteed.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
DaveAg02
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

12f Mane said:

Somehow, I think username checks out.
zooguy96
DaveAg02 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

12f Mane said:

aggiedata
AG
txags92 said:

aggiedata said:

Three-toed Box Turtle

I saw this guy in west Texas. Far away from water. I think these two guys are cousins. The Desert Box Turtle

Stive
AG
DaveAg02 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

12f Mane said:

Go ahead and shut down the internet for the day. This guy's the winner!!!
zooguy96
aggiedata said:

txags92 said:

aggiedata said:

Three-toed Box Turtle

I saw this guy in west Texas. Far away from water. I think these two guys are cousins. The Desert Box Turtle

Ornate box turtle. Other one above is a theee-toed box. And, yes, user name checks out.
Bassmaster
AG
Thanks for the tip. I told my 8 y/o and he sent mom to HEB with strict orders to get strawberries. He let her go today and gave her a strawberry as a parting gift. She did munch on it in front of us, so that was cool. She got pretty comfortable being around us over the past 24 hours because my boys have spent so much time with her.

We used to see them all the time as kids, but rarely see them anymore. It was pretty cool to relive that and share that with my boys who all loved it, but especially my 8 y/o. Of course he wanted to keep her, but I explained why we needed to let her go so that she can reproduce and give us more, and he understood and handled it like a champ, although it killed him to let her go. He has done so much research over the past day that I know more than I ever cared to know about any turtle.
12f Mane
AG
Good bull
Badace52
AG
zooguy96 said:

aggiedata said:

txags92 said:

aggiedata said:

Three-toed Box Turtle

Ornate box turtle. Other one above is a theee-toed box. And, yes, user name checks out.

I think they're all considered subspecies of the same species now.
CM
DaveHimself
AG
SW Oklahoma this morning. What's with the "prongs" on the tail?

jgh85Ag
AG
New test rattle to fool hogs?
DaveHimself
AG
jgh85Ag said:

New test rattle to fool hogs?

Lol, heard the whole "rattlers don't rattle anymore for self preservation" from another dad after this encounter.
Touchscreen
AG
Here are a couple of snake photos from Thursday and Saturday. The rat snake had been run over on the one- lane county road in front of our gate apparently just minutes before I drove up. Stretched out it was 70 inches long, approaching six feet, which is a big snake to me. That's the largest rat snake I've seen out there. It
was just too tempting of a target for the yahoos that race up and down that road.

The little cottonmouth was sunning itself in the middle of the same road and was in no hurry to go anywhere. Maybe 18 to 20 inches long. When it crawled into the ditch on the other side of the road it blended in perfectly with the short dead grass. Unless it moves you wouldn't even know it was there.

Stan Crowch
AG
Came across these guys on the golf course today. Rat Snake?

Decay
AG
Think it's a water snake.

Bottom one obv a cottonmouth
Badace52
AG
Stan Crowch said:

Came across these guys on the golf course today. Rat Snake?

Black racer and American Alligator
CM
CowtownAg06
AG
If you hit in it's mouth do you take 10
strikes off your final?
Null and Void
Early morning road casualty. 8-10". Initial thought is checkered garter??
DaveAg02
AG
This one looks like a PBWS to me, but I am not confident on that
12f Mane
AG
Diamondback water snake
Watchful Ag
AG
From the neighbor's house this morning
Decay
AG
Love the orange on those guys. Broad-banded Water Snake?
Null and Void
Re DBWS: I should have known since that is all I ever see. Just confused by the small size this late in the year. How typically large are they at birth?
Badace52
AG
Decay said:

Love the orange on those guys. Broad-banded Water Snake?

Correct.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.