Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,406 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
fasthorse05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DaveAg02 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

What's the speculation on prevalence of snakes vs sightings? In other words, if you see 1 snake of a type in your rural property; how many does that mean are truly around?

I don't think that's something you could put together due to the dramatic seasonal differences in snake activity. I do think people dramatically underestimate the number of snakes right around them.
Speaking of, do dogs have a natural fear of snakes, or do they have to be taught to avoid any snake?
txags92
AG
Badace52 said:

They don't hunt together in the sense that there is no cooperation between individuals. Snakes also don't travel together. They do tend to concentrate in food-rich environments with heavy shelter. Some snakes will overwinter together in dens. Garters and rattlesnakes are examples of this. However, they are not generally considered social animals.

To see that in action, go watch the bat emergence at Bracken Cave sometime. Usually there are multiple coachwhips and rattlesnakes waiting for a shot at downed bats in the cave entrance. Sometimes one of the coachwhips will hang off the top of the cave entrance and try to grab bats out of the air. Very entertaining event to watch, not just for the snakes.
Badace52
AG
fasthorse05 said:

DaveAg02 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

What's the speculation on prevalence of snakes vs sightings? In other words, if you see 1 snake of a type in your rural property; how many does that mean are truly around?

I don't think that's something you could put together due to the dramatic seasonal differences in snake activity. I do think people dramatically underestimate the number of snakes right around them.
Speaking of, do dogs have a natural fear of snakes, or do they have to be taught to avoid any snake?

In my experience, dogs usually have to get bit a time or two to learn to fear snakes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
txags92 said:

Badace52 said:

They don't hunt together in the sense that there is no cooperation between individuals. Snakes also don't travel together. They do tend to concentrate in food-rich environments with heavy shelter. Some snakes will overwinter together in dens. Garters and rattlesnakes are examples of this. However, they are not generally considered social animals.

To see that in action, go watch the bat emergence at Bracken Cave sometime. Usually there are multiple coachwhips and rattlesnakes waiting for a shot at downed bats in the cave entrance. Sometimes one of the coachwhips will hang off the top of the cave entrance and try to grab bats out of the air. Very entertaining event to watch, not just for the snakes.
12f Mane
AG
Badace52 said:

Well said
FrioAg 00
AG
The videos I've seen with hundreds of rattlers together, like an infestation from hell, what behavior is that? I'm genuinely curious.
maroon barchetta
FrioAg 00 said:

The videos I've seen with hundreds of rattlers together, like an infestation from hell, what behavior is that? I'm genuinely curious.

That's called "roundup".
HoldMyBeer
AG
fasthorse05 said:

DaveAg02 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Bird dogs are usually put through a special training called desnaking, although any dog can be trained. Usually put on by local clubs, they will have some defanged rattlesnakes put out and the trainer will walk the dog on a lead toward the snakes, when the dog starts to show interest they hit the e-collar with a strong jolt. It's repeated 2 or 3 times until the dog demonstrates serious avoidance toward the snake. The classes are typically held right before bird season.
https://www.houstonpress.com/arts/gulf-coast-german-shorthaired-pointer-club-teaches-dogs-to-avoid-snakes-august-4-5-10657832
SteveBott
AG
The experts can come by but I think it's to generate and retain body heat in cold weather.
12f Mane
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Communal dens. Where ever those snakes live must get cold in the winter and there must be a select few places that are suitable to overwinter at, hence they concentrate there. When conditions are right most will come out to bask, hence the "nest" or whatever people typically call them. In the spring they all disperse.
TX_AG_10
AG
Buttermilk Racer in Colmesneil, TX

Daddy-O5
AG
Cool snakes. Great picture.
88Warrior
TX_AG_10 said:

Buttermilk Racer in Colmesneil, TX

Fellow Tyler Countian?
TX_AG_10
AG
I'm just a part timer in the area. I reside in Montgomery County but the in-laws have some weekend property on the north side of town off Hwy 69. We are up there a decent amount.
88Warrior
TX_AG_10 said:

I'm just a part timer in the area. I reside in Montgomery County but the in-laws have some weekend property on the north side of town off Hwy 69. We are up there a decent amount.

Originally from Warren myself.
Your Mom And Them
Not a snake post, but Tyler County has some of the most beautiful land in Texas. When the dogwoods bloom in the spring it is just awesome.
P.U.T.U
AG
Few water snakes on the run today and a green snake that was hanging on upsidedown eating something in a hollow tree trunk
C1NRB
AG
txags92 said:

There's an extended scene of this in Deep in the Heart.
BTW, spoiler.
WLW12SPJ
AG
Almost stepped on a coral snake (1' -1.5' I'm guessing...it was doubled over) yesterday 3 times. It was laying by the side of the house in a flower bed when getting a hose to water. About a foot from my foot. I was in flip flops...not good I would think. Saw it finally when I went to turn.water on. Tried to take pic, but I guess after changing my shorts I didn't hit the pic button good enough...sorry.

Went to get a hoe, but it had vanished in the flower bed. Now we have a coral snake/s on the loose in our flower beds.

Question is, IF I see it again do I kill it, or try to take it somewhere else by capturing it? It is/was a pretty snake, but I know potentially deadly if you mess with it too much.

I darn sure got lucky I'm guessing. I know they are supposed to be "docile" as long as you don't mess with them. Just don't want one in the flower beds.

I know TexAgs knows stuff as always.
TIA

jgh85Ag
maroon barchetta
A large number of snake bites are from people trying to handle them or relocate them.

Do not attempt this with a coral snake.
WLW12SPJ
AG
Good advice no doubt. So, what do you do? If I see it again do I just kill it with a long shovel? I would never think about messing with it with my hands. No, no, no...

I thought relocation was the way to go...even with a coral as long as you knew what you dealing with. Kill it is fine with me when I have family messing with those flower beds.
spadilly
S
If I come across any venomous snake around my house, I'd have no second guesses about killing it.
With my own young kids and a number of close neighbors with kids always running though the yards, I don't want to risk it.

Now, a non venomous snake? That's a great teaching moment for the kids.
WLW12SPJ
AG
I'm with you on that.

Burning the house down.
TarponChaser
No pictures because I was too focused on trying to catch it (damn quick little bugger) but we were having a family dinner at my parents last night and my 11-year old niece comes in screaming about a snake. I go look and it's about a 16" ribbon snake in the flower bed right outside my parent's front door. My boys and I go piling outside to see what it was and if it's non-venomous try to catch it (they've had a fair number of copperheads due to backing up to a greenbelt) but the little bugger was faster than me and got to a weep-hole in the brick before I could grab it.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Almost stepped on this little guy yesterday morning. Good way to get an elevated heart rate when you catch him out of the corner of your eye next to your left foot. I was wearing Chips but still.

Looks like he hasn't missed many toad dinners. His act was entertaining as I used a stick to make him move along.

Gig 'em! '90
DatTallArchitect
AG
Hognoses are fun
12f Mane
AG
Where this one from? It's a different species of hognose than the typical ones posted here
SanAntoneAg
AG
12f Mane said:

Where this one from? It's a different species of hognose than the typical ones posted here

Northern Duval County, about 14 miles NE of Freer.
Gig 'em! '90
12f Mane
AG
Dang. That's a great find.
NoahAg
WLW12SPJ said:

Almost stepped on a coral snake (1' -1.5' I'm guessing...it was doubled over) yesterday 3 times. It was laying by the side of the house in a flower bed when getting a hose to water. About a foot from my foot. I was in flip flops...not good I would think. Saw it finally when I went to turn.water on. Tried to take pic, but I guess after changing my shorts I didn't hit the pic button good enough...sorry.

Went to get a hoe, but it had vanished in the flower bed. Now we have a coral snake/s on the loose in our flower beds.

Question is, IF I see it again do I kill it, or try to take it somewhere else by capturing it? It is/was a pretty snake, but I know potentially deadly if you mess with it too much.

I darn sure got lucky I'm guessing. I know they are supposed to be "docile" as long as you don't mess with them. Just don't want one in the flower beds.

I know TexAgs knows stuff as always.
TIA

I would just let it be. Literally* no one dies from coral snakes.

*Maybe someone has, but statistically they're nothing to be afraid of.
Let's go, Brandon!
agz win
AG
Small pets can die, though.
spadilly
S
WLW12SPJ said:

I'm with you on that.

Burning the house down.

And spiders too!
eric76
AG
I was talking to a guy from Nebraska who is working in Texas on a construction project for a few months.

The conversation turned to rattlesnakes. He was shocked that I would stop and chase snakes (including rattlesnakes) off the road so they don't get run over. It turned out that he thought if you were bitten by a rattlesnake, you were almost certain to die. In reality, there are many rattlesnake bites each year in the US, but only about 4 or 5 deaths from rattlesnake bites, I think.

I recently read that in the old days before antivenom, the only treatment was whiskey to drink to reduce the pain. Supposedly, some people would intentionally expose themselves to rattlesnakes from time to time so that they could be struck and thus get free whiskey.
eric76
AG
spadilly said:

If I come across any venomous snake around my house, I'd have no second guesses about killing it.
With my own young kids and a number of close neighbors with kids always running though the yards, I don't want to risk it.

Now, a non venomous snake? That's a great teaching moment for the kids.
I've been tempted to get some kind of tongs to catch rattlesnakes near the house and relocate them.

It's not that I want to handle rattlesnakes, but I want them to kill mice that might have hantavirus. I'm far more scared of hantavirus than I am of rattlesnakes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.