Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

339,412 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Friend of mine got tagged by a cottonmouth this weekend. If any of y'all know Capt. Scott Null, he's a well known fishing guide and does the "Bite Me" fishing podcast with John Lopez.

Anyway, he lives on about 80 acres 5 minutes from Charlie's near Seadrift. Got tagged on the toe by a small cottonmouth hiding in the dark under the door sill going into his garage. Doing well but he was given like 10 vials of antivenin.
Courtesy Flush
AG
What hospital did he go to? I've often wondered if hurt when in the Seadrift area if I should go to Port Lavaca or go to Victoria.
Badace52
AG
I'd probably go to Victoria for most things. I've worked in the ER there and taken some pretty questionable transfers from Port Lavaca.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HarryJ33tamu
Had a close call this weekend. I was walking around my lease in llano looking for a good spot for a new box blind a buddy and I built. I wasn't really paying attention to the ground while I was looking around. I step down and something didn't feel right. I looked down and this sucker is under my boot. I jumped about 3' in the air and he went semi-airborne belly up. Not sure if I kicked him when I jumped or what happened. He coiled up really fast and that's when I snapped this photo. Then I put 3 rounds of 5.56 in him. Thank God for snake boots. He also never rattled, even after stepping on him and him coiling back up. I thought that was very odd

TheVarian
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

If you hit in it's mouth do you take 10
strikes off your final?

And your new nickname is Chubs
maroon barchetta
Poor fella can't even get a nap on a holiday without someone stepping on him.
jgh85Ag
AG
I think the stepping on was the least of his worries.
TXAG9
AG
Welp this little guy scared the kids and was striking...so he didn't make it. I think it's a banded water snake but want to confirm. Any thoughts?

[url=<a][/url]">
[url=<a][/url]">
BrokeAssAggie
Are the two pics of the same snake?
TXAG9
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

yes they are. Tried to capture the lighting.
BrokeAssAggie
TXAG9 said:

BrokeAssAggie said:

yes they are. Tried to capture the lighting.

Pretty wild how the lighting and angle can change the look.
Ag83
AG
Plain belly water snake
TXAG9
AG
Thank you! Lots of variation on colors and patterns.
Badace52
AG
It's a juvenile Nerodia erythrogaster. It may be a PBWS, but it could also be any of the other subspecies. The juveniles are pretty much impossible to tell apart. The subspecies are pretty much just based on the adult phenotype.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BCO07
AG
Full disclosure he did live to see another day, but only because he made it across the street before I could come back with a hoe. I don't typically kill snakes, but venomous ones within 100 yards of the house don't fair well
4stringAg
AG
Some good color on the last couple of moccasin pics. Most of the ones I see are very dark with the pattern kind of dull/muted.

Love the box turtle pics. We saw eastern box turtles a ton under the apple and peach trees of my grandparents orchard in northeast Mississippi as kids.
BCO07
AG
Pretty classic look for sure. He is probably 18"or so. Oddly enough, I live on 8ac of oak and open fields with a near by river and the surrounding 150 or so with very few other houses and I rarely see venomous snakes.
Junction71
AG
On a kayak run yesterday afternoon on the South Llano River in Junction I observed 2 cotton mouths. We had launched our boats at the state park and floated downstream to town (about 4 river miles) fishing along the way. We had just floated through the park swimming area, which has a small backwater slough close by and my son hollered "snake". He said it looked like a cottonmouth. He knows them. About that time he said "another one on the bank and is huge". The big one was swimming across my bow 50' away and I wanted to get closer for positive id. I always want to see the head and see if black bar from corner of mouth to the eye is present. Positive id was made. This snake was at least 3' in length but the girth is what blew me away. Looked like a swimming log. I don't see too many cottonmouth in Kimble County as the area is on the far western edge of the cottonmouths range.

The river was beautiful and, with recent rains, flowing awesomely. I didn't have to drag over rocks a single time. We also observed a full adult Bald Eagle and managed to catch around 20 mixed Largemouth/Guadalupe Bass.
12th Man Ag
AG
No pics?!?!
Decay
AG
Good to hear water level's improved.

Those pictures of practically dry riverbeds a month ago were heartbreaking.
aggiedata
AG
This little guy greeted me at the mailbox. I think he was smiling at the pic.

THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Texas hognose?
Badace52
AG
Eastern hognose, but yes.

There isn't a Texas Hognose... They are called a Texas cobra sometimes
CM
TarponChaser
He looks much more angry than the typical hog nose.
Daddy-O5
AG
Just left the house and my wife called having a minor meltdown. Snake in the house. Turned back around and my daughter and I took care of the problem (safely released outside).

BadAzzBohemian
AG
ID?
txags92
AG
I see 5
MyNameIsJeff
AG
BadAzzBohemian said:

ID?

Not the greatest picture in the world, but the solid dark coloration and labial bars lead me to believe that is a nonvenomous and harmless plain bellied water snake.
DJV2012
AG
vertical stripes and round eye...so i'm going harmless water snake. Not sure if DBWS or PBWS b/c can't see any distinguishable pattern in that photo. Maybe others who are more proficient can provide more specificity
maroon barchetta
I see leaves
12f Mane
AG
PBWS
HtownAg92
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I see leaves
DJV2012
AG
For us novices, how can you tell PBWS without being able to see back pattern? TIA
MyNameIsJeff
AG
DJV2012 said:

For us novices, how can you tell PBWS without being able to see back pattern? TIA
My thought process on this one:

Dark, thick body. Matte vs. glossy scales. This has me thinking water snake or cottonmouth. The dark vertical bars on the lower jaw rule out cottonmouth. The color and lack of apparent pattern lead me to plain bellied over diamondback. A diamondback is typically more green with the chainlink pattern in black.

I personally wouldn't be able to ID based on just the head, but I can reasonably see this one does not have the diamondback pattern.
TX_AG_10
AG
I thought the longer tail vs short and stubby on cotton mouth. Not sure if that is a good indicator

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.