Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,365 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiedata said:

Must have thought you were a hog.
Do hogs really eat those snakes ? Seems dangerous
Reginald Cousins
S
Real or photoshop? Seems preposterous.

Not interested in snake people opinions as much as photo analysis from tech folks. Maybe the nerdery is a better bet.

I've seen videos of XL rats trying to eat fawns unsuccessfully.
agcrock2005
AG
Lol...that has to be bull*****
Badace52
AG
Couldn't tell you if that's real or not, but I can say without a doubt the snake will not be successful if it is real.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FishrCoAg
AG
Picture taken by a client in Fisher County. Not a great pic, but what do y'all think? She said the light stripes were yellow.
DaveAg02
AG
FishrCoAg said:

Picture taken by a client in Fisher County. Not a great pic, but what do y'all think? She said the light stripes were yellow.

Yep, coral snake.

I see I need to study my West Texas snakes!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think that's a long nosed snake but I'm not 100% positive. The picture quality isn't that great but I don't see that being a coral snake.
Daddy-O5
AG
I agree. Pattern didn't scream coral snake but I couldn't tell for sure because of the picture quality. So it's one of those times I keep my mouth shut.
FishrCoAg
AG
Thanks, guys.
Badace52
AG
FishrCoAg said:

Not a coral. That's definitely a longnose snake.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cuz-i-can
AG
Our everyday snake...
YellAgs
AG
Looks like one meal in and another on the way
FrioAg 00
AG
I'm no expert at all, but I thought when red touches yellow, that's a coral, no?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I'm no expert at all, but I thought when red touches yellow, that's a coral, no?

Red touches yellow is generally a good guideline for distinguishing a coral snake from something like a milk snake with similar coloration/banding. It is NOT reliable 100% of the time though. Variations do exist with no yellow and or no red and plenty of other combos.

Following up on this snake from the picture, the long nose snake can resemble a coral snake and I can see the confusion. However, I think the spotting in the black bands and the head make them easily distinguishable from a coral though.

I'm sure badace/12fmane can go into much more detail than I can though…
zooguy96
Coral snakes don't have any white coloration in their black bands. They are much cleaner color-wise. Also, the yellow is much brighter. That's classic Texas Longnose.
12f Mane
AG
Longnose:

Milksnake:

Coralsnake:
FishrCoAg
AG
Thanks for all the replies.
Vepp
12f Mane said:

Longnose:

Milksnake:

Coralsnake:

Great shots! +F-Stop & + Iso (slightly) will give you perfect Depth-Of-Field. Damn good regardless.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Great shots! +F-Stop & + Iso (slightly) will give you perfect Depth-Of-Field. Damn good regardless.
Huh?
12f Mane
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

Huh?

12f Mane
AG
Thanks! Snakes can be a challenge and most aren't fond of cooperating with you while you fiddle with settings.
cuz-i-can
AG
My everyday snake is looking double healthy...

agcrock2005
AG
Were you double drunk last night? You posted this pic a couple days ago.
Aggieterri
AG
Can some ID this snake skin that I found in my back yard? Also, do snakes stay in the same area all the time or do they roam around a lot (was he just passing thru)
ocling
AG
Dang you're screwed
zooguy96
Aggieterri said:

Can some ID this snake skin that I found in my back yard? Also, do snakes stay in the same area all the time or do they roam around a lot (was he just passing thru)

It's a copperrattlehognosecoral snake!

No, but most likely a rat snake or a racer. Totally harmless.
Aggieterri
AG
Thanks
cuz-i-can
AG
Haaaa...yea...I might try to go for the triple later this evening...
dcbowers
AG
JJ Watt needs to follow the snake thread…

Pooh Ah
AG
Just came over to post the same video.

TAMU77CLAY
AG
He admitted it so congrats he manned up
Badace52
AG
Wow... Those snakes look nothing alike... He really should follow the snake thread.
CM
SteveBott
AG
Gotta remember he's a yankee boy growing up. Not a lot of snakes in Wisconsin
Bregxit
AG
Hey experts...do we have any kind of black head snakes in Montgomery County? I was out walking a nature trail with my wife and she spotted a tiny tiny little thing. I leaned in to look as it took off and from my memory the closest thing I can match it to is a Smith's black head snake.

I wish I had a pic but it was getting out of dodge into the bushes as fast as it could. I haven't seen anything like it in the Houston area. It looked just like this guy...size, color et al.

txags92
AG
Flat-headed snake maybe?

https://www.inaturalist.org/guide_taxa/850016

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.