Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,403 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
Ag Rancher 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Came across this rattlesnake yesterday

Ag Rancher 93
AG
Sorry for not being able to get a better picture of this snake. Anyone care to take a guess? It had more grayish coloring.

mrsbeer05
AG
Coachwhip?
Badace52
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

Coachwhip?

Correct
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AtlAg05
AG
Outside Atlanta.

It was all about 6 in long
mrsbeer05
AG
Badace52 said:

mrsbeer05 said:

Coachwhip?

Correct

BCO07
AG
This dude was super bitey, never seen one strike before

Txgunrnnr
AG
Wow! HEB has gone exotic.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Allen76
AG
[url=https://imgur.com/aSiNGMu][/url]
Four Footer
P.U.T.U
AG
I had a brown snake chase after me when I was walking away one day. Gave me a good laugh.

I will post pics in the next few days, had a few people in the neighborhood not believe that I see so many snake while on the trails. Showed them how to find them and found 7, got pics of 3-4
rak1693
AG
Wife found this outside our house in Lufkin. Northern Copperhead or Western Cottonmouth? What do y'all think?
Stive
AG
CM
Badace52
AG
100% cottonmouth
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hwy30East
Nice one! I'll admit that if I had not seen that snake until after it bit me, I would have told the doctor I was bitten by a copperhead.
Decay
AG
I'm guessing because it's juvenile right? Light tail and all? That coloring is incredible.

Also I'm assuming it's really small. edit: actually if that leaf is any indication that's a really big juvenile!
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Decay said:

I'm guessing because it's juvenile right? Light tail and all? That coloring is incredible.

Also I'm assuming it's really small. edit: actually if that leaf is any indication that's a really big juvenile!
Juvenile Cottonmouths will have a yellow tail like a juvenile copperhead. The colors can be similar, but the cottonmouth appears more matte instead of shiny like the copperhead, and the pattern is more jagged. They will still have the "mascara" on the eye.

It's an easy ID once you know what you're looking for, but I guarantee I would get nothing but "copperhead" responses if I posted that in my neighborhood facebook page.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
On a co-worker's patio right now and his wife is freaking out. What better place to go than here, right?

Let me know if you can tell what this is:
TAMU77CLAY
AG
rat snake
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Harmless western rat snake.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Thanks, y'all.
Decay
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Decay said:

Juvenile Cottonmouths will have a yellow tail like a juvenile copperhead. The colors can be similar, but the cottonmouth appears more matte instead of shiny like the copperhead, and the pattern is more jagged. They will still have the "mascara" on the eye.

It's an easy ID once you know what you're looking for, but I guarantee I would get nothing but "copperhead" responses if I posted that in my neighborhood facebook page.

Cool stuff. Totally forgot that the baby copperhead will have that light tail too.

I was sitting around drinking beers over the weekend and was reminded of this thread. We went from trying to dispell that there's "multiple types of cottonmouth, some are poisonous and some are not" on one side, and then talking about the wild stories of Bill Haast (survived almost 200 venemous bites and lived to 101 years old!) on the other. It was a fun time and I swear everyone loves talking about snakes.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Decay said:

and I swear everyone loves talking about snakes.
My girlfriend would disagree with you
TarponChaser
MyNameIsJeff said:

...but I guarantee I would get nothing but "copperhead" responses if I posted that in my neighborhood facebook page.

Well duh, it's not anywhere near the water so it can't be a water moccasin.
Decay
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Decay said:

and I swear everyone loves talking about snakes.
My girlfriend would disagree with you
Now that I think about it, we had three dads, two kids, and two grandfathers out there. So I should clarify it was every boy
aggiesportsfiend10
AG

At campsite in McKinney Falls SP. Ratsnake? Pattern is throwing me off a bit but the length and it's high as a hat…
MyNameIsJeff
AG
High as your hat, it's a rat. You're just seeing the side of the snake, which is probably why the pattern doesn't look quite right. Scroll up a few posts and look at the side of that rat snake.
BuddysBud
AG

The first snake I've seen in a while.
I believe that it is a hog nose. It looks like it recently ate a big meal.
Daddy-O5
AG
I think you're right on both.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Yep, it's a hognose. Good ID. If you hadn't already noticed, look at its nose
Trout
I thought this was a copperhead before I hit him with shovel. But his head doesn't look right. Copperhead bit my GSP last year so I didn't want to second guess myself.
Snake ID? Seems too long and skinny and a small head to be a copperhead.
Ptery83
Looks like a young ratsnake to me
ttha_aggie_09
maroon barchetta
Ain't nothing copper about that one.
MouthBQ98
AG
Had to get a 4.5 foot rat snake out of my chicken coop this afternoon. Caught him trying to swallow an egg. The old wave one hand and grab at the back of the head with the other trick worked like a champ. Rat snakes are suckers for motion.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Trout said:

I thought this was a copperhead before I hit him with shovel. But his head doesn't look right. Copperhead bit my GSP last year so I didn't want to second guess myself.
Snake ID? Seems too long and skinny and a small head to be a copperhead.

You need to hang out in this thread a little more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.