Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

337,720 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BQ_00
MyNameIsJeff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

I thought the longer tail vs short and stubby on cotton mouth. Not sure if that is a good indicator
Not really.
Alte Schule
College Station/Raintree. Was working along house foundation and my wife came within a few inches but thankfully didn't strike. Didn't want to kill him and for about 15 minutes I attempted to relocate but he was having none of that.
zooguy96
Alte Schule said:

College Station/Raintree. Was working along house foundation and my wife came within a few inches but thankfully didn't strike. Didn't want to kill him and for about 15 minutes I attempted to relocate but he was having none of that.

Square trash can / broom. Copperheads are usually pretty easy to move as they are pretty docile IMHO.
Alte Schule
zooguy96 said:

Alte Schule said:

Square trash can / broom. Copperheads are usually pretty easy to move as they are pretty docile IMHO.
I agree and have relocated several in the 30 years I have lived here. Had my plastic leaf rake and 10 gal. bucket but he wasn't making it easy. I had work to do and the last thing I wanted to do was to take the shovel to him.
spadilly
S
That's one bright green tail.
Texmid
AG
I wonder how many relocated venomous snakes end up tagging a human later in their life? Probably a very, very small number. But, that number is not zero.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Texmid said:

I wonder how many relocated venomous snakes end up tagging a human later in their life? Probably a very, very small number. But, that number is not zero.
Probably not nearly as high as the number of people that get tagged trying to kill a venomous snake and/or handling a "dead snake".

I'm not saying this as a person that is against killing snakes, just that most people put themselves in significantly more danger trying to kill one.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Heard a scream this morning from our receptionist followed by "there's a snake in the office". I ran to find a 6-8" ribbon snake frantically trying to find it's way out. Didn't get a picture because I left my phone on my desk. Cute little guy though. Picked him up and released him outside away from the building.
agz win
AG
Texmid said:

I'm more worried about the number of dogs and kids coming through. I don't relocate venomous snakes but I have reformed to let the others live and this thread has been a great help.
krosch11
AG
Mr President Elect
AG
I got tagged by a spider once and it had a similar "fang" mark apperance to it.
krosch11
AG
Yeah the width makes me think its no big deal, just making sure I'm not being stupid disregarding it.
OhLongJohnson
AG
Any experts wanna help ID this snake? A fellow ag needs to know if he should sell his house or not.
zooguy96
OhLongJohnson said:

Any experts wanna help ID this snake? A fellow ag needs to know if he should sell his house or not.

Hognose.
txags92
AG
Looks like a Hognose to me.
aggiedata
AG
They are harmless. No need to hurt it. It's trying to scare you.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Our seven year old daughter was on the back porch and came in screaming.

Luckily the JRT ran to the rescue and made short work of the little *******.
zooguy96
BadAzzBohemian said:

Our seven year old daughter was on the back porch and came in screaming.

Luckily the JRT ran to the rescue and made short work of the little *******.

Looks like it was gravid (eggs or young).
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Still had the yellow greenish tail...barely.
mhnatt
What kind is this? We are at 6,500ft above sea level just outside of Yellowstone. Not poisonous but sure would like to know.

Thanks

MyNameIsJeff
AG
mhnatt said:

What kind is this? We are at 6,500ft above sea level just outside of Yellowstone. Not poisonous but sure would like to know.

Thanks

Not super familiar with non-Texas snakes, but I think that's just a common garter snake. Definitely non-venomous.
12f Mane
AG
Wandering garter snake
agcrock2005
AG
Went out to concho county this weekend to fill up feeders. Ran across 3 rattlesnakes.

Snake 1 - About a 4' snake that was 10' away from me when I was sitting down dove hunting. Looked really thin and young, but then we uncoiled him and saw his length and about 10 rattles. Think old guy that's deteriorating? Did not rattle.

Snake 2 - about 4' long. Did not rattle.

Snake 3 - about 4' long. Rattled his ass off and bowed up. He was pissed to see us out of the truck and walking his way.
12f Mane
AG
Awesome. #1 might be a female that just dropped all her babies. Hopefully she gets a meal or two before the first cold front hits.
Courtesy Flush
AG
#1 May have also spent a lot of time around wild hogs and has learned to keep quiet.
shady
AG
Check out this guy, pretty sure it's a young coachwhip. On my neighbors back porch this morning. Safely relocated.
Null and Void
Very cool snake. How did you manage to catch it?
shady
AG
Two of us herded him into a large trashcan….took a while
TarponChaser
zooguy96 said:

Alte Schule said:

Why a square trash can?
zooguy96
TarponChaser said:

zooguy96 said:

Alte Schule said:

Why a square trash can?

Easier to get the snake in. You can set it on the ground flush.

That's just in my experience.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Forgot to add this guy/gal from vacation. Saguaro NP. I didn't verify concavity or cloaca location so gender will just have to remain a mystery. I'd imagine they have the same tracking requests?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
agcrock2005
AG
I can't find the snake.
Badace52
AG
Nice Sonoran desert tortoise.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cuz-i-can
AG
I normally don't shoot these guys but...he bit my dog and was too close to the house...
YellAgs
AG
I cant even tell what that is because of your potato phone pic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.