Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,283 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
evestor1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Scottsdale, AZ

TacosaurusRex
Great pics. Are those the venomous lizards?
Badace52
AG
The top two are gila monsters (one of two known species of lizards with venom glands) and the bottom two are western diamondback rattlesnakes.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MouthBQ98
AG
Very cool. Never seen a Gila before.
Watchful Ag
AG
Assuming this is a young rat snake?
ATX_AG_08
AG
Broad banded water snake.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome Gilas!
Txgunrnnr
AG
Well that must have been a fun day on the golf course. Did you try to get your tee's back or just leave then there?
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Null and Void
Awesome pics!
evestor1
It was a great day on the course. I was riding in the cart and the driver was kind enough to put me about 7-8' away from the upset snake. He said "they can only strike their body length and half body length on second strike."

It was 3-3.5' long so in his mind it was all good. I wasn't feeling so certain.
5StarShield
AG
Wife was pulling weeds in one of our beds and came across these two. She said she screamed so loud the neighbor texted her to make sure she was okay.
JM84
Caught a juvenile rat snAke trying to sneak into the barn tonight. Let it go at the back of the property

ttha_aggie_09
AG
JM84 said:

Caught a juvenile rat snAke trying to sneak into the barn tonight. Let it go at the back of the property

FYI - You had the link to the gallery instead of each individual picture. Good ID!
12f Mane
AG
Looks to be a pair of patchnosed snakes mating, very cool.
agz win
AG
Getting some sun on Saturday.
5StarShield
AG
12f Mane said:

Looks to be a pair of patchnosed snakes mating, very cool.
Yep. That's what she said they were doing and "one appeared to be biting the head of the other".
agz win
AG
Ignore the tire mark. Coral? I see just a little red.
rugger74
AG
Bands appear to be too far apart. Plus I do not think that is a coral.
DatTallArchitect
AG
It's a very melanistic coral snake
Daddy-O5
AG
These are the ones that folks point to when the yell at you on Facebook for using the "red on yellow" rhyme.

But yes. Coral.
Badace52
AG
It's for sure a Texas coral snake. It's not actually melanistic but it does have more black than normal in the red bands. Texas coral snakes in general always have more black in their red bands than the other American coral snake species.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
It is easier to tell if you look towards the head. You can see some pretty distinct red.
12f Mane
AG
Badace52 said:

It's for sure a Texas coral snake. It's not actually melanistic but it does have more black than normal in the red bands. Texas coral snakes in general always have more black in their red bands than the other American coral snake species.
Bones97
AG
Rat?
ATX_AG_08
AG
yessir
DatTallArchitect
AG
Good job IDing it
Bones97
AG
Sharp pattern scared me at first, crinkled body and head gave him away. Calmly shooed him out of the garage to let him go do what he does best!
BrokeAssAggie
Nice garage floors
Badace52
AG
Bones97 said:

Sharp pattern scared me at first, crinkled body and head gave him away. Calmly shooed him out of the garage to let him go do what he does best!
That's what this thread is for. Great job!
CM
P.U.T.U
AG
Was out on a walk with my girlfriend yesterday and know where a YBWS lives, figured he would be out on a warm a warm day and he was. Family of one of the kids I coach baseball for was riding their bikes by right then. Nice being able to educate the kids about why he lives where he does and how to tell he is a "good" snake.
MouthBQ98
AG
They're back..,
DatTallArchitect
AG
Given your proclivity for copperhead, I'm surprised to see you posting a rat snake picture
MouthBQ98
AG
We got lots of both. Rat snakes come out first as they're willing to get out in the warm day and be active. The copperheads tend to wait until nights warm, won't be long.
agz win
AG
Put my sharpshooter shovel by my front door in anticipation of baby copperheads that will gather on the concrete.
rugger74
AG
You do know the proper killing instrument is a hoe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.