Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,403 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
BrokeAssAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like a bag of Funyuns
poet0715
AG
Good Eye! Holding the bag of Funyuns for my 6 year old as he cooled off in the river!

That's funny you noticed that!
BrokeAssAggie
One of the more underrated chips, IMO
poet0715
AG
100%
DBill
AG
Dekays Brown Snake? Really cool color on it which is throwing me off. North Austin area.

I can't post images, anyone want to lend a hand? I can text or email pictures.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
poet0715 said:

Good Eye! Holding the bag of Funyuns for my 6 year old as he cooled off in the river!

That's funny you noticed that!
Are you kidding? This is on the OB, in another 30 minutes they could have where you purchased it, with security footage, and your complete grocery list with receipt.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
ttha_aggie_09
Oh no, we suck again?
AG

DeKay's Brown... he's was chill until my little girls decided to bull rush him then he released his bowels down my hands.

This one was from a few years ago but I can't remember if he's a plain belly WS or blotched.

fasthorse05
Not really interested unless you can release him in the TCU dugout right now.

evestor1
My 8 year old yelled out from backyard while golfing "Daddy, there is a huge snake out here. It is non-venemous so i'll hold it until you get here." My younger son asked if we could kill it and eat it.

My wife and I were dying laughing.

Vepp
Rough green snake

Bonus: id?
garsnare
Video of a Rat Snake up close and personal

https://imgur.com/a/p30EMrD
garsnare
Bonus River Otter video. Watch in full screen all the way to the end. He comes out of the water and runs off.

https://imgur.com/a/VUp90J4
lexofer
AG
There were just three of these little guys in my pond. 2 of them were feasting on baby catfish.

Diamondback Watersnake? Colors are a bit brighter than I've seen in the past but the pattern looks right.

https://i.imgur.com/F5abMyw.mp4
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You got it!
NoahAg
A couple spotted w/in a few minutes of each other.
Broad-banded water snake

Let's go, Brandon!
NoahAg
And nearby a moccasin, right?

Let's go, Brandon!
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Good IDs on both. That is a beautiful water snake.
agcrock2005
AG
Cottonmouths look like the biggest a-holes ever.
NoahAg
agcrock2005 said:

Cottonmouths look like the biggest a-holes ever.
Honestly, that was one feature I used to ID him (along w/the broad scales on his head and the pattern on his body).

"Hmm, he looks pissed off. Moccasin."
Let's go, Brandon!
Mas89
AG
Neat looking snake in my field this morning.
maroon barchetta
Indigo?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Speckled King
SpreadsheetAg
AG
What's the speculation on prevalence of snakes vs sightings? In other words, if you see 1 snake of a type in your rural property; how many does that mean are truly around?
P.U.T.U
AG
I have seen articles saying copperheads do not travel in groups but several times I have seen 2+ together during the summer at night.
12f Mane
AG
No snakes travel in groups
txags92
AG
12f Mane said:

Garter snakes say hi!

j/k...I know mating is different than traveling
DaveAg02
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

What's the speculation on prevalence of snakes vs sightings? In other words, if you see 1 snake of a type in your rural property; how many does that mean are truly around?

I don't think that's something you could put together due to the dramatic seasonal differences in snake activity. I do think people dramatically underestimate the number of snakes right around them.
TacosaurusRex
DaveAg02 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

I don't think that's something you could put together due to the dramatic seasonal differences in snake activity. I do think people dramatically underestimate the number of snakes right around them.
Not I. I think there is a snake under every wood pile, ever leaf, and every porch off the ground. Plus many other places haha

ETA: I have a pretty embarrassing story about the snake thread. I have said on previous snake threads that this place is like therapy for me, because of my extreme dislike of snakes. So as usual I am scrolling the snake thread before bed last night. Then I had a dream that one of the lakes around me some how emptied and snakes were everywhere, but instead of freaking out I was out on the lake bottom trying to take pictures for this thread. I guess that's progress because it wasn't a nightmare, just a weird ass dream.
Decay
AG
TacosaurusRex said:

DaveAg02 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Not I. I think there is a snake under every wood pile, ever leaf, and every porch off the ground. Plus many other places haha
The entire planet is a writhing mass of snakes and a small layer of dirt and ocean on top
txags92
AG
That is literally the first thing I think when I see a snake now... "Oh, where is my phone, I have to get a picture for Texags!"
MyNameIsJeff
AG
12f Mane said:

Then explain Lonesome Dove.
maroon barchetta
TacosaurusRex said:

DaveAg02 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

ETA: I have a pretty embarrassing story about the snake thread. I have said on previous snake threads that this place is like therapy for me, because of my extreme dislike of snakes. So as usual I am scrolling the snake thread before bed last night. Then I had a dream that one of the lakes around me some how emptied and snakes were everywhere, but instead of freaking out I was out on the lake bottom trying to take pictures for this thread. I guess that's progress because it wasn't a nightmare, just a weird ass dream.

Are you going to post the pics or not.
P.U.T.U
AG
12f Mane said:

Technically what would it be called when they tend to hunt together? I know if there is a prey rich environment there will be more snakes but last year for 4 days in a row around 10-11pm 3 copperheads would come out to an area at the same time together. They would come from a very heavy bush area and come to the same area where there tended to be frogs and cicadas. They would stay out for a few hours and head back at the same time.
Badace52
AG
They don't hunt together in the sense that there is no cooperation between individuals. Snakes also don't travel together. They do tend to concentrate in food-rich environments with heavy shelter. Some snakes will overwinter together in dens. Garters and rattlesnakes are examples of this. However, they are not generally considered social animals.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.