Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

353,505 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This little guy was hanging out under my smoker yesterday.

MyNameIsJeff
AG
An idiotic response to my identification of a rat snake in our neighborhood Facebook page this morning...

"sorry but I grew up in the country. No snake is good. None. Bc you don't have time to asses danger Or Innocence. Not sorry bc I've lived with copperheads and moccasins in my own yard. I ain't got time to be like hmmm is your head diamond? Do you have copperhead markings? I'd run and leave screaming. My dogs protected me from a copperhead years ago. And our neighbors dog protected my daughter from one too. We didn't understand at the time until we saw Why but having been here and the original neighborhood in south cs and behind a creek I take NO CHANCES."

Badace52
AG
Point them to this thread and hope they take the time to read it through. If nothing else at least they'll know what they're killing in the future.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
old yeller
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

An idiotic response to my identification of a rat snake in our neighborhood Facebook page this morning...

"sorry but I grew up in the country. No snake is good. None. Bc you don't have time to asses danger Or Innocence. Not sorry bc I've lived with copperheads and moccasins in my own yard. I ain't got time to be like hmmm is your head diamond? Do you have copperhead markings? I'd run and leave screaming. My dogs protected me from a copperhead years ago. And our neighbors dog protected my daughter from one too. We didn't understand at the time until we saw Why but having been here and the original neighborhood in south cs and behind a creek I take NO CHANCES."

What a total dumbass
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I directed them to the Texas Snake ID group. As much as I wanted to tell her that was the most ignorant post I'd seen all day, I tried to make it a teaching opportunity. My response below " There are definitely some good snakes out there. Several species hunt and eat venomous snakes, and several more (such as the one above) eat rodents and pose zero threat to humans. The handful of venomous snakes we have in Texas are pretty easy to quickly identify with a little background knowledge, and I've never personally seen any of these in our neighborhood. The best thing I've done is join the "Texas Snake Identification" group here on Facebook. Reading through the posts on there will make you a snake ID pro in no time."
FrioAg 00
AG
I was that guy 5 years ago, this thread completely changed my perspective
MyNameIsJeff
AG
In all honesty I was that guy probably two years ago. Not that bad, but I'm sure I've killed a few PBWS that I thought were cottonmouths.
TarponChaser
Not my pics but DBWS, right? That was my ID to my friend here and he disagreed.

https://instagr.am/p/CQ9tN84l6Ag3y4et8CFmFjcK83Wx5dFhxFl3jQ0
Badace52
AG
Can't see pics...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TarponChaser
His IG must be private
Pro Sandy
AG
Couple of red diamond rattlers out here in San Diego (Cali, not Texas)

This one was on top of a mountain. The final climb was a rock scramble and I reached up, pulled myself up, and found that I had put my hand about a foot away from him.

This guy was on the sidewalk in front of the house I'm renting. Didn't notice him while walking until he rattled at me.

Landlord didn't like it so she called the fire department.

Cromagnum
AG
Unfortunate victim of a weedeater in the tall grass in my ditch as I did not see him in time. Quick death at least as I think his neck was broken.

P.U.T.U
AG
Went to Coyote Creek in Burleson over the weekend and made some new friends. Looked to be the same 3 copperheads coming out at night and three small banded water snakes that would hang out at a small creek. Also found a small snapping turtle but couldn't get a good picture

aggiedata
AG
Beautiful rat snake ( I think ), hanging around the back patio. My brother relocated it to the barn.

trip
AG
Not in USA. It Was not harmed.
I know what it is. Just letting the studs at a unusual one.

Daddy-O5
AG
Fer de lance?
Badace52
AG
Location would help but it looks like a fer-de-lance to me.
Harry Stone
AG
wouldnt mess with that
12f Mane
AG
J_Daddy05 said:

Fer de lance?
trip
AG
Correct for-de-lance. In Costa Rica. My son pinned him down thinking it was just a texas venomous snake. Not his best move.
Stive
AG
trip said:

Correct for-de-lance. In Costa Rica. My son pinned him down thinking it was just a texas venomous snake. Not his best move.

Do your son a favor and don't take him to Africa or Australia if he's going to just pin down random snakes that he thinks are like the ones back home.
trip
AG
Stive said:

trip said:

Do your son a favor and don't take him to Africa or Australia if he's going to just pin down random snakes that he thinks are like the ones back home.

No kidding. You should have seen my face. His answer was "some Australian couple said " look out for the small snake". I thought they knew the bad ones."
Counterpoint
AG
trip said:

Stive said:

trip said:

No kidding. You should have seen my face. His answer was "some Australian couple said " look out for the small snake". I thought they knew the bad ones."

Wow. Show him the pics of that Naked And Afraid producer's foot if you want him to be more cautious around Fer de Lances!
agcrock2005
AG
Counterpoint said:

trip said:

Stive said:

trip said:

Wow. Show him the pics of that Naked And Afraid producer's foot if you want him to be more cautious around Fer de Lances!
Wow...wish I hadn't googled that.
12th Man Ag
AG
Counterpoint said:

trip said:

Stive said:

trip said:

Had a friend from high school doing graduate work down there and got nailed by one outside of camp (wasn't wearing her snake boots). Barely got back to civilization without dying. Wouldn't let her out of the country and wouldn't let her parents in. Cut her leg open from ankle to hip to let the venom out and luckily, she didn't die. Had to learn to walk all over again afterwards. Made a National Geographic special about her ordeal.

Your kid is lucky, lucky!
trip
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Counterpoint said:

trip said:

Stive said:

trip said:

Had a friend from high school doing graduate work down there and got nailed by one outside of camp (wasn't wearing her snake boots). Barely got back to civilization without dying. Wouldn't let her out of the country and wouldn't let her parents in. Cut her leg open from ankle to hip to let the venom out and luckily, she didn't die. Had to learn to walk all over again afterwards. Made a National Geographic special about her ordeal.

Your kid is lucky, lucky!

We have had plenty of talks about how lucky he is. I bring it up so others have the same talks.
mrsbeer05
AG
We had a discussion at dinner last night about venomous snakes thanks to your post.
P.U.T.U
AG
Every time I see a snake or someone on the neighborhood page post a picture I make my 6 year old identify them. For now I tell him to stay away unless I hand him the snake since some can be tricky to identify even though I have only seen 2 venomous ones around the house out of the 200+ total snake.

Our property in Carmine is different, we have lots of copperheads, some rattle snakes, a few water moccasins, and coral snakes (so basically all the venomous Texas breeds). Also have lots of rat snake, coachwhips, indigo, water, and seen one king snake. One of the people that lives on the property was killing everything and I told them unless you can ID it let it go, there are that many big snakes out there since there is that much food out there for them. Killing them just makes the varmints worse.
CowtownAg06
AG
I do the same with my kids on this thread. They are getting pretty good and almost 100% at venomous vs non. We also have property in Carmine that is very snake friendly but in 3 years have seen very few and no venomous ones. I've even spent time clearing brush that should have guaranteed a copperhead but nothing. Just luck so far.
P.U.T.U
AG
They just come to lay out on the porch, don't even have to look for them. Well until that guy killed them all. Can't say I blame him if they are right out the front door
Gilligan
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Counterpoint said:

trip said:

Stive said:

trip said:

I cannot unsee that! Resist the urge or at least do it on an empty stomach.
Counterpoint
AG
Gilligan said:

agcrock2005 said:

Counterpoint said:

trip said:

Stive said:

trip said:

I cannot unsee that! Resist the urge or at least do it on an empty stomach.

Sorry I brought it up, but I thought it might help.
fasthorse05
FrioAg 00 said:

I was that guy 5 years ago, this thread completely changed my perspective
I think I've already posted this, but my BIL is from Australia. He was a jockey when he was very young, but got too big and rode in the PRCA for 15 years once he got to America, with a success.

However, since he grew up on a cattle station in Queensland, his view of snakes is "the best one is a dead one". Needless to say, in Australia, I kinda understand. I've asked him many times over the years about his encounters with snakes and crocs. He's had dogs getting a sip of water, and get snatched into a billabong by a croc (which would just crush me). Since so may snakes there are venomous in Australia, it was whack first, and find out later.

FWIW.
Junction71
AG
If you are in a foreign country and you see a snake with a vertical pupil, well, you know....

Coral Snakes have a round pupil so not 100% true.
4stringAg
AG
trip said:

Stive said:

trip said:

Not all of them are small down there. I think they have Bushmasters too (in central America.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.