Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

351,115 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How long does that last him? A week?
txaggie02
AG
Ran into this little guy crossing the road at the deer lease today.

DaveHimself
AG
Bonham State Park.

DaveAg02
AG
Never seen that kind of centipede. We only have those huge red-headed behemoths.
agent-maroon
AG
2nd pic looks like the guest list to a nightmare party.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DaveHimself
AG
agent-maroon said:

2nd pic looks like the guest list to a nightmare party.

It was epic battle between scorpion and centipede. Centipede was the aggressor. Snake played dead, ID on it?
agent-maroon
AG
Rough earth snake on the ID?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DaveAg02
AG
I have probably killed 150 of those bark scorpions at our land in the last year - at least 40 inside the house. They are tough to try to control.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Since we diverged slightly, on my side fence, monarch chrysalis.
Badace52
AG
agent-maroon said:

Rough earth snake on the ID?

Actually that is a Flat headed snake...
CM
agent-maroon
AG
Didn't know there was such a snake. Thank you for adding to my knowledge!

ETA -

Quote:

Description:

The flat-headed snake is Missouri's smallest snake. It is smooth-scaled, and the general color is tan, gray brown, or slightly reddish brown. The head is sometimes darker than the rest of the body or is black. The belly is salmon pink, a characteristic that distinguishes it from the similar-looking earthsnakes, which have grayish or cream-colored bellies
FLAT-HEADED SNAKE
KT_Ag08
AG
DaveAg02 said:

I have probably killed 150 of those bark scorpions at our land in the last year - at least 40 inside the house. They are tough to try to control.

Have you tried DemonWP? We used to get a bunch of those in our duplex back when I was in school (got hit twice) and after spraying didn't have any problems. Mostly just swept the little a holes' corpses up.
DaveAg02
AG
Willing to try!
BrokeAssAggie
What's this guy? Juvenile something
DaveAg02
AG
Cool snake... I am guessing brown snake
DatTallArchitect
AG
DaveAg02 said:

Cool snake... I am guessing brown snake
I believe you're correct, but I'll wait for one of the more knowledgeable posters to verify
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Dekays Brown snake non-venomous and eats slugs and insects. I'd assume adult or adolescent.
Badace52
AG
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

Dekays Brown snake non-venomous and eats slugs and insects. I'd assume adult or adolescent.

Everything here is accurate... Looks more like a pretty average sized adult to me than a juvenile.
CM
NoahAg
CrazyRichAggie said:

What's this guy? Juvenile something

Looks like a snail to me.
Oh, you mean the snake.
mandevilleag

Saw what I'm guessing is a juvenile DBWS on a walk with the dog the other day. Little sucker wouldn't let me get any closer, he ran away pretty quick
mandevilleag

Saw this one today. My best guess is banded water snake, but the dark patterning threw me for a loop.
Badace52
AG
mandevilleag said:

Saw what I'm guessing is a juvenile DBWS on a walk with the dog the other day. Little sucker wouldn't let me get any closer, he ran away pretty quick

Correct...
CM
Badace52
AG
mandevilleag said:

Saw this one today. My best guess is banded water snake, but the dark patterning threw me for a loop.

Also correct... Mostly. It is a broad banded water snake and it is abnormally dark and drab in coloration. It is likely about to shed.
CM
Null and Void
Again from West Houston
Daddy-O5
AG
Looks like she's got a nice fish in her belly.
Null and Void
Sad to report that this old girl has passed on. We'll have a new matriarch in the lake now.
Null and Void
Same subdivision, different lake. About 15' from waters edge.
mrad85
AG
Killed this little guy last week. Sorry, didn't take a pic till after I had chopped him in little pieces.

He was inside an old dead stump. I tried to remember all the sayings, but finally got out the text machine and googled it.

cuz-i-can
AG

BillyPilgrim
AG
I saw this on a hike in Austin today. It was about 2 1/2 feet long. Anyone know what type it is?
DaveAg02
AG
BillyPilgrim said:

I saw this on a hike in Austin today. It was about 2 1/2 feet long. Anyone know what type it is?

That's a tough one for me without a better look at the head. I would probably respect it enough for a cottonmouth until proven otherwise.
1990AG
AG
I'm going yellow belly WS....def not a moc

Badace52
AG
Nerodia eryrhrogaster... Probably what most people would call a plain belly water snake.
CM
CowtownAg06
AG
Fort Worth Botanic Garden yesterday. PBWS?
agdaddy04
AG
Well at least we don't have to deal with these over here:
https://news.yahoo.com/woman-swallowed-python-she-checked-100000564.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.