Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

350,985 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
i is smart
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I couldn't get a picture of it, but I saw a snake that was roughly 5-6' long , basically black/navyish body when the sun hit it. Kind of dark brown on its lower jaw. It didn't stick around long once I got close.

This was near Alice, TX. I've never seen a snake in Texas like it before. It looked too small to be a rat snake. This sucker looked pretty thick like it just ate something.
12th Man Ag
AG
Maybe a Blue Indigo?
agcrock2005
AG
EDIT: Wrong thread
DaveAg02
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Maybe a Blue Indigo?

Sounds like it - that brown jaw comment is a big hint. Awesome snakes. Used to catch them and bring them in to camp because they eat rattlesnakes. Caught one that was all of 6'6" once.

i is smart
AG
DaveAg02 said:

12th Man Ag said:

Maybe a Blue Indigo?

Sounds like it - that brown jaw comment is a big hint. Awesome snakes. Used to catch them and bring them in to camp because they eat rattlesnakes. Caught one that was all of 6'6" once.

That's exactly what it was! I had heard of them, but have never seen one or looked them up online. No wonder that's the only area of the ranch I haven't seen a rattler.
SteveBott
AG
My favorite Texas snake. Second is the hog nose. They have been discussed in previous threads not this one. I believe Alice is close to the top of their range so you were lucky to see one.

Per 12fman they have incredibly strong jaws and just eat a snake head first chewing them to death. Per a poster it's common for south Texas ranchers don't allow anyone to kill them since as said they eat rattlers.
jgh85Ag
AG
Got this from the ratsnake FB page. Gotta be a rat? This is from a video which looks pretty freaky.
Ag 11
AG
Yeah, it was a young little guy
agcrock2005
AG
Can you post video? Is it slithering around?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I can't see anything in the still you posted, but I will confirm rat snake simply due to the camera being pointed upward.
i is smart
AG
SteveBott said:

My favorite Texas snake. Second is the hog nose. They have been discussed in previous threads not this one. I believe Alice is close to the top of their range so you were lucky to see one.

Per 12fman they have incredibly strong jaws and just eat a snake head first chewing them to death. Per a poster it's common for south Texas ranchers don't allow anyone to kill them since as said they eat rattlers.
Stupid question, but what are the chances I could see it again if I go back to the area I found it? I'd assume it wouldn't be likely.
Ag 11
AG
FISHNAG said:

My brother sent this to me on his morning jog in Montgomery yesterday.

Man. That thing is awesome looking!
jgh85Ag
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

I can't see anything in the still you posted, but I will confirm rat snake simply due to the camera being pointed upward.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/ratsnake/permalink/2971132819770291/
Reginald Cousins
S
jgh85Ag said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

One comment indicated it could be on some lighting casting an odd shadow.
Gilligan
AG
Reginald Cousins said:

jgh85Ag said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

One comment indicated it could be on some lighting casting an odd shadow.
I don't think a snake is going to move 1/2" to 5/8" sheetrock like that. I second the shadow theory.
jgh85Ag
AG
Probably, I was thinking it somehow delaminated.
aggiedata
AG
Sea snake? See snake!

AZAG08
AG
Probably the last one of the year for me. Outside of Kerville. There was a small fire nearby so I'm thinking that's what brought it out from underground

Badace52
AG

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MouthBQ98
AG
Doing some prep work for burning a brush pile and found this guy.
Pooh Ah
AG
Killed it with fire.

JSKolache
AG
Ahhhh - you beat me

Homeowner battling snake infestation burns down house...

HtownAg92
AG
Quote:

The homeowner attempted to effectively used smoke, coals and combustible materials to control a snake infestation,, but the coals got too close to combustible materials, gaining ultimate control and victory when and the home went up in flames.
FIFT.
Null and Void

agcrock2005
AG
DBWS?
Null and Void
Yes!
mt3950
AG
On the neighbors driveway tonight…
agcrock2005
AG
DBWS?
ttha_aggie_09
agrams
AG
parents found this fatty in a woodpile a few months ago. needless to say it likes chicken eggs from the neighbors.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
It might like chickens too!
mt3950
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

It might like chickens too!

That's either 6 eggs all bunched up, or their neighbor is missing a chicken.
Null and Void
As close as I have been able to get to one.
agcrock2005
AG
DBWS?

And if I'm correct, why are they so active lately?? That's 3 in a row on here...again, assuming I'm correct which may not be the case.
Null and Void
Correct. The photo's I post are from a small retention pond in our neighborhood. (Trying to limit the posts to interesting shots.) Counted 11 earlier this spring; now only see 4 on a regular basis.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.