Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

353,682 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
TxKng82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was my first thought, but haven't seen one in awhile and was doubting myself
Badace52
AG
TxKng82 said:

ID? This one is escaping me.

Eastern hognose
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dolch
AG
My 10 year old with his first bull snake.
Released after the picture

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome!
SteveBott
AG
Nice snake!
Badace52
AG
Awesome... Never seen one in the wild myself.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Trinity Ag
S
Killed this copperhead in my neighbors yard.

Warm weather has them out and about.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Brooks county. Not getting any closer for perspective, but looks about the diameter of a tennis ball.
vander54
S
What? You afraid of a little old snake?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Cool picture! Watch your step out there, folks.
AG
I told my field tech to kneel down beside it and hold something like a pen or phone next to it for scale but he refused.

Snake never moved, must have thought we were wild hogs.
TresPuertas
AG
The tiny version of me has really taken an interest in snakes.

Found this one in the pool last summer

Then took him to the zoo over spring break and he got to see the grandad of all snakes

Daddy-O5
AG
A lot of fun seeing kids that age take an interest in snakes. Have a niece and nephew who are the same. Hopefully my daughters in a few years too. Very cool.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Since we're on kids and snakes, I had a pretty proud dad moment over the weekend.

My oldest daughter (7) was playing around the camp with some other kids and came running up to alert me that she saw a snake.

Daughter: "Daddy! I saw a snake!!!"
Me: "what did it look like?"
Daughter: "it was black and had green stripes on it - I don't think it's venomous" (yes - she correctly used venomous)
Me: "let's go look..."

Turns out she was right. Decent size gulf coast ribbon snake was cruising underneath some cedar and I was able to apprehend this guy/gal. Naturally, my daughter announced it to the group of kids and I was able to help some of them interact with a live snake, several for the first time.

My kid is not in the picture, hence the blurred faces.
Null and Void
Another pic from West Houston
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Big girl looks like she just ate!
Harry Stone
AG
ID? this is a baby in in North Carolina.
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Big girl looks like she just ate!
2 YBWS and a blotched?
Badace52
AG
(DeKay's) Brown Snake
CM
Badace52
AG
All DBWS, 2 males and a big female.
CM
vander54
S
Badace52 said:

Great example of the multiple colors you can see even in the same environment
Null and Void
'This environment' amazes me. It's a retention pond of only 75' x 150'. Have seen plenty of turtles and minnows, but obviously there are larger fish in it as well. The most snakes I have counted at one time is 10.
AG
Badace52 said:

Doh!

I'm getting good with the rest but those damn water snakes just get me most of the time.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Might I make a suggestion.

Can we name the snake in the picture if you are 100% certain?

Or ask the experts on the thread to repost with identification?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Generally speaking, if a snake picture is posted, without an ID and a request for identification, it's by someone that knows what it is and is letting the board attempt to ID it. I have done this a few times, not that I am an expert, and have seen several others do it.

The response with the most blue stars and then usually a confirmation by one of the experts or the OP, serves as the ID.

Now if you're referring to the acronyms (e.g., DBWS, YBWS, BBWS), I can understand how it can be confusing. I think that has to do more with the knowledge of this thread over the years than anything else. Most people now know that DBWS = Diamondback Water Snake.

Does that make sense?
Badace52
AG
Quote any post you would like an ID for with (ID?) following the quote, and you are pretty sure to get a definitive ID pretty quickly. Sometimes people are just posting pics of snakes that they think are cool and don't really need an ID for.

We will ID anything y'all want. 12fmane can identify pretty much any snake there is in any part of the country... I'm not as good (better if it is a Texas snake), but I'll let you know if I'm not certain. Several of the snakes on here get posted over and over again.
CM
ttha_aggie_09
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Yes it makes sense

I just follow a few Facebook groups and I love the fact it is identified and if there is a mistake or question then one of the admins will make the correct id
DatTallArchitect
AG
This thread has been going on for years. Follow it for a while, and you'll know who to listen to. No need to add rules.
TacosaurusRex
Null and Void said:

Another pic from West Houston

Ace or 12F, I know we have covered this before, but is the googly eyes near the top of the head a dead give away for an DBWS? Or is that an indicator for several other water snakes as well?
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
Badace52
AG
DBWS eyes are the highest up on their heads of our Texas water snakes (as they are the most highly aquatic species of water snake) and look the most googly to me. It definitely helps me ID them very quickly.
CM
12f Mane
AG
I'd say that is accurate
Mule_lx
AG
My dad has River bottom land. We have never seen a venomous snake until today. We've always been careful anyways but confirmation sucks. Was a young copperhead under a pile of bricks. Good teaching moment but my kids played a few feet from it the other day.
G-Town Cracker
AG
Found this guy hanging out with a toad under a piece of tin.
m.stat
AG
Down at the in-laws place in Realitos

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.