Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

353,660 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
4stringAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The spider looks like some type of widow but not sure what kind.
mandevilleag
Looks like the non-native brown widow.
vander54
S
mandevilleag said:

Looks like the non-native brown widow.

My thoughts as well. Luckily not as dangerous of a bite as a black widow.
FrioAg 00
AG
Found this fella in my barn yesterday, actually brushed its web with my hair accidentally before I looked up.

Badace52
AG
DeBoss said:

Can anyone help me confirm the spider? And thanks for the picture help. I've tried uploading them to TexAgs and they still get kicked. This is too confusing for me.
The above poster is correct. It is a brown widow.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agthatbuilds

Didn't realize this had it's own thread. Oh well. Good enough to be posted twice
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Ah hell naw!
Agthatbuilds
Snake was like "f around and find out! Hold me back, hold me back!"
@ggie
AG
ID? Brazos County about 8" long. Thanks.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Dekays brownsnake
Is my guess.
txags92
AG
From a friend walking a site in Montgomery County.

jgh85Ag
AG
Not my pic, but question for the experts.

Ever seen this? This corn snake tied itself into a knot.

The snake has a bandage because it recently had a mass removed.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
12f Mane
AG
Yes. I caught a juvenile ratsnake in Rockport years ago that had gotten the very tip of its tail in a knot that it apparently couldn't untie because it was rotten with bone exposed.
billyboy2001
AG
Zigged when it should've zagged I guessā€¦

Badace52
AG
I caught a large ratsnake that had tied itself in a knot In some chicken wire after eating a ceramic egg that my grandfather had put in the hen house.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Null and Void

agent-maroon
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Not my pic, but question for the experts.

Ever seen this? This corn snake tied itself into a knot.

The snake has a bandage because it recently had a mass removed.

I had a pet corn snake that would tie itself into a knot occasionally. Never had to intervene to get it untied
JR Ewingford
txags92 said:

Photo help...you need to link each pic individually.

Looks like a Florida Brown Widow.
jmazz
AG
College Station. First time seeing/catching. Was in a tree above the kids monkey bars.

proc
AG
I'm not at home, so would love a quick ID on this one. Stella did some hunting.
vander54
S
Plain-bellied water snake
World's worst proofreader
DaveAg02
AG
jmazz said:

College Station. First time seeing/catching.

Rough green snake?
jmazz
AG
Yes. Or Green Mamba maybe.
4stringAg
AG
jmazz said:

Yes. Or Green Mamba maybe.
Boomslang.
Badace52
Null and Void
I was probably seven at the time. Playing in my grandparent's yard, I saw this green snake slither by my feet. Freaked out, I called my dad. He grab a hoe, and started looking for it. Saw it climbing up tree; promptly severed it about three inches from it's head. Head and body were naturally wildly jumping around, Pop quickly dug a shallow hole, scraped the head into it, and then covered it with dirt. Attention then turned to the snake's body. About 15 seconds later, I look back at the ground behind me... just in time to see head emerge back out of the shallow grave. Nightmares for weeks...
DeBoss
AG
That normal for Coleman county Texas?
DaveAg02
AG
Null and Void said:

I was probably seven at the time. Playing in my grandparent's yard, I saw this green snake slither by my feet. Freaked out, I called my dad. He grab a hoe, and started looking for it. Saw it climbing up tree; promptly severed it about three inches from it's head. Head and body were naturally wildly jumping around, Pop quickly dug a shallow hole, scraped the head into it, and then covered it with dirt. Attention then turned to the snake's body. About 15 seconds later, I look back at the ground behind me... just in time to see head emerge back out of the shallow grave. Nightmares for weeks...

Nice. When I was about a year or two older than that, we kids were the "bird dogs" for the adults dove hunting. One of the adults shot a rattler in a bush and we kids didn't notice. He cut the head off and put it in one of the bird bags on his vest. He scared the hell out of several of us by telling us to just put the bird we brought him into the bag.
agcrock2005
AG
vander54 said:

What's difference between plain bellied and yellow bellied? I thought I had this one nailed down and then I read your post.
vander54
S
agcrock2005 said:

vander54 said:

What's difference between plain bellied and yellow bellied? I thought I had this one nailed down and then I read your post.

It used to be believed that yellow bellied water snakes were a subspecies of plain-bellued water snakes. Now it is thought there are no subspecies.

World's worst proofreader
P.U.T.U
AG
Went out for about 45 minutes yesterday and ended up seeing 9 snakes, 2 western rat snakes and the rest water snakes. Temperature dropped to about 90 so they were a lot more active. Wylie/Sachse area.

Copperpot
AG
Speaking of Widowsā€¦found this one on a log that was headed for the fireplace last fall in Grimes County. It did not surviveā€¦

JR Ewingford
DeBoss said:

That normal for Coleman county Texas?
Like a few others said this is not native to the area. Looks like you have a rather unusual find for the area.
P.U.T.U
AG
I've found 2 brown widows in Collin county, one in a random field and one on a tree on a trail. Unfortunately I have seen plenty of black widows and you can tell a difference
Copperpot
AG
Rat Snakeā€¦Grimes County.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.