Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

353,442 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stive said:

Not a CM right?
If this isn't "mascara" then I need some more education from this thread. I would have bet my left nut on this one.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
I see what you mean, but I think it's just a shadow. Just to the left of this, you can see what appears to be an eye on top of the head. This indicates a watersnake over a CM. I can't get a good look at the pattern on this one due to the lighting, but the one in the background is clearly a diamondback, so I'd bet this one is also.

ETA: on closer inspection I can barely make out the "chain link" pattern on this one. Both are diamondback water snakes.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I can absolutely see that but it looks like it is just an illusion from the head flattened out on the roots. Pattern, head shape, eye location and pupils all tell a different story.
agcrock2005
AG
Well I thought I had learned a lot about snakes! Literally the only thing I saw was the circled part in yellow and "knew" it was a CM. Didn't even see the other snake.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Like I said, I totally see it… just look closer and you can tell that's the jaw line between upper/lower mouth.
agcrock2005
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Like I said, I totally see it… just look closer and you can tell that's the jaw line between upper/lower mouth.
Ahh, got it! It's the damn stick on the bottom that I thought was the mouth/jaw with the "mascara" above it. I'll leave this to the experts now...only chimed in because I was 100%...lol.
Null and Void
Side view of the same two snakes. Much lighter color due to more sunlight. Have yet to see any CMs in this tiny lake. All dbws.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
I spy another friend nearby!
Badace52
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Well I thought I had learned a lot about snakes! Literally the only thing I saw was the circled part in yellow and "knew" it was a CM. Didn't even see the other snake.

If you had seen it in real life you would have known it was not a cottonmouth. The picture made it look like there was a mascara mark but the area you circled is the lower jaw of the snake. The eyes are on the top of the head showing the typical "googly eye" look of a DBWS. You were fooled by a trick of lighting in the picture.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
Null and Void said:

Side view of the same two snakes. Much lighter color due to more sunlight. Have yet to see any CMs in this tiny lake. All dbws.

That is a healthy looking one on the right. And hello Mr. Turtle
Scoopen Skwert
AG
So is the mouth open? My eyes are not the best. First look didn't scream cm to me but this is a fun one to discuss
GhostWipe15
AG
An unfortunate victim of my lawn mower
Badace52
AG
No... Mouth is closed. The dark spot is a shadow on the snakes lower jaw.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
Young coachwhip.
CM
SpiderDude
AG
What would you do?!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/more-90-rattlesnakes-found-under-california-house-n1281628

Txgunrnnr
AG
SpiderDude said:

What would you do?!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/more-90-rattlesnakes-found-under-california-house-n1281628

Burn it down of course!
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
HtownAg92
AG
SpiderDude said:

What would you do?!

It's California, so the only acceptable answer would be to move out and leave the house to the snakes, go hug a few trees and try to develop a sustainable soy-based rat alternative for them to eat.
DaveAg02
AG
That reminds me of a question I have wanted to ask this group. I never seem to see a den of rat snakes, or coachwhips, bullsnakes, etc. However, often when a rattlesnake is found in a hiding place, it's a large den with dozens of snakes. Any idea why rattlesnakes tend to gather in large numbers?
agent-maroon
AG
SpiderDude said:

What would you do?!

Would start with figuring out their food sources and attempt to deal with that within legal parameters?

Yes, I know that this is Cali and trying to do anything sensible is probably not legal
W TX Refugee
AG
Found this skin today in Palo Pinto county. Less than 24 hours old. Any way to tell what kind of snake?

YellAgs
AG
Coach whip based on length/width?
txags92
AG
Cottonmouth from Back Bay NWR in Virginia Beach, VA.

Badace52
AG
Are you sure you are far enough away??
CM
txags92
AG
It actually crossed the path before we got there and there were two other people watching it. That was as close as my phone camera would zoom on it. I wasn't going to crawl into the marsh after it.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
DaveAg02 said:

That reminds me of a question I have wanted to ask this group. I never seem to see a den of rat snakes, or coachwhips, bullsnakes, etc. However, often when a rattlesnake is found in a hiding place, it's a large den with dozens of snakes. Any idea why rattlesnakes tend to gather in large numbers?
Because they can?
billyboy2001
AG
Usually jumping rattlers out in West Texas but I was on run at Purgatory in San Marcos today. Ran into this fella. Good times!

Texmid
AG
That one looks big.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Obligatory

That's what she said.
Texmid
AG
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

Obligatory

That's what she said.
Hahaha, username checks out!
Serious Lee

hognose?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yeah buddy!
MouthBQ98
AG
Ribbon

Courtesy Flush
AG
Don't know what kind this one is but he had a bad day this day. I opened the door on my barn and he must have been on the roller or across the track and pretty much got cut in half. He wasn't too happy about it either and wasn't going down without a fight
agent-maroon
AG
Coachwhip?
txags92
AG
Dekays Brown snake I believe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.