Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

351,101 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
TAMU77CLAY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Turf.Ag13 said:

What do y'all think about this one? Irving, TX
Didn't see it in person so I'm not sure on relative size.

maybe timber rattler?
12f Mane
AG
It's someone's pet boa.
Gilligan
AG
12f Mane said:

It's someone's pet boa.
Chances of that surviving and breeding in the DFW area?
txags92
AG
Gilligan said:

12f Mane said:

It's someone's pet boa.
Chances of that surviving and breeding in the DFW area?
No chance of it breeding unless somebody else released a pet boa in the same area. I would be surprised if it made it through a winter in DFW area unless it was able to get into someplace warm and sheltered.
DeBoss
AG
Can that thing cross mate with any other species like that cottonmouth/copperhead video?
txags92
AG
DeBoss said:

Can that thing cross mate with any other species like that cottonmouth/copperhead video?
I would assume only with others in the Boa family, so probably not with anything native to Texas.
Badace52
AG
No.. not with anything native to Texas as mentioned above. It is also highly unlikely to survive even an average winter here.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gilligan
AG
I call BS, but I will put this out there. A friends son had a snake. Some kind of small constrictor.

It got loose. Supposedly it was loose hiding in the house between 18 to 24 months before being caught and put back in its cage.

I am thinking not possible. I will let the pros weigh in.
Texmid
AG
Gilligan said:

I call BS, but I will put this out there. A friends son had a snake. Some kind of small constrictor.

It got loose. Supposedly it was loose hiding in the house between 18 to 24 months before being caught and put back in its cage.

My step-dad had a 6' red-tailed boa that was loose in the house for about 6 months. They finally found it inside a Cerwin Vega speaker.
vander54
S
Definitely possible. Just means they have a good food supply in their house. So probably have mice and rats.
txags92
AG
Gilligan said:

All depends on how many meals they had loose in their house. A small snake could probably last quite a while eating roaches, mice, crickets, etc. 18-24 months would be a long time unless they had a serious rodent infestation, but a few months would not be that surprising. As long as they have a warm spot to hang out, they don't necessarily have to eat all that often to survive. I had a friend in college whose python went missing in her apartment for 3-4 weeks and she found it coiled up in the backside of her fridge, hungry, but no worse for the experience.
12f Mane
AG
Lots of snakes are obese in captivity as well, so it could have lived off stored fat for that long.
Htownag11
AG
Snake ID Please:
Daddy-O5
AG
Cottonmouth. The mascara is strong with that one.
ttha_aggie_09
DaveAg02
AG
Man I hate seeing a nope rope on what looks like a porch. Hope everyone is ok!
DatTallArchitect
AG
Beautiful example of a moccasin!
Ptery83
Not a snake but nephew caught at beach. ID?
GhostWipe15
AG
Had a little checkered garter in the yard today!
Badace52
AG
Filter got ya man. Try using imgur.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ptery83

Dang filter! In the time it took to post I believe I figured out it's a pipefish?
txags92
AG
Ptery83 said:

Dang filter! In the time it took to post I believe I figured out it's a pipefish?
Yes. Or Pipehorse. Related to seahorses.
TamuKid
AG
From our neighbor
Badace52
AG
Nerodia erythrogaster... Probably YBWS.
CM
Badace52
AG
So weird... I had just caught one of those earlier the same day you posted that pic near Seaside, Florida.
CM
Ptery83
Oh how cool. This was down at South Padre Island. My BIL said the kids caught several.
WestTexAg12
AG
Htownag11 said:

Snake ID Please:

Kill it with fire!
AgDoug02
AG
I see the term Mascara used when identifying a cottonmouth... what exactly is mascara referring to?
Daddy-O5
AG
AgDoug02 said:

I see the term Mascara used when identifying a cottonmouth... what exactly is mascara referring to?

Thick black stripe around the eye. If you compare against a water snake it's pretty distinctive.

MAROON
AG

here are two good images of "mascara"
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
4stringAg
AG

Badace52
AG
Nice timber rattlesnake... Location?
CM
MouthBQ98
AG
The pit vipers tend to slither with their heads held up at an angle, and the sharp brow and nose scale ridge gives them an "angry" appearance.

Moccasins always have that Dark band over creme band on their "cheeks"
Romello
In my backyard. Help with an ID. Interesting color and pattern. A little aggressive. 4 or so feet long.

vander54
S
Buttermilk racer

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.