Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

353,499 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TarponChaser said:

Coachwhips always look pissed off.

This. And the eyes
Copperpot
AG
Grimes County. Juvenile something?
Daddy-O5
AG
Dekays Brown
Scoopen Skwert
AG
J_Daddy05 said:

Dekays Brown

Adult.
Zulu451
AG
Little guy crossing the street! West Point NY.
Daddy-O5
AG
Northern Ringneck.
Badace52
AG
First one of these I've seen in my yard. Probably after the all the tree frogs I've seen around lately...

CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WestTexAg12
AG
Two stories.

First, wife texted me on her way out yesterday morning that this was at the front door. Surprised she even saw it because when I looked it was halfway under the threshold. This is the 4th one I've seen (killed) around my house since April.

https://i.imgur.com/szb4HFa.mp4

Second, my dog was bit by a copperhead a couple weeks ago. I gave him 3 Benadryl and debated not even taking him to the vet since it was at 10pm. Took him in after the wife begged to. They did a blood smear test and he was at 90-95% affected. For reference, the vet said 50% or lower there's no need for antivenin. 80% the vet highly recommends antivenin. Thus, I gave him antivenin and $1300 and 12 hours later, he looked like a swelled Brahman bull. He's all good now though, but I bet he hasn't learned his lesson fully and will probably discover another one.

agcrock2005
AG
Can you do "snake proof" shots for copperheads like you can rattlesnakes? Seems like that might be something to look into considering the amount of copperheads you have seen, and the lack of faith you have in your dogs ability to learn! Glad he's alright, and I would have made a mess in my pants if I opened the door and saw that copperhead there like in your MP4!
WestTexAg12
AG
He has the rattlesnake vaccine and actually received his booster two days prior to being bit by this copperhead. I don't think there is a copperhead vaccine.

I'm surprised my wife even went out the front door. She's a weenie when it comes to anything insect or snake related.
chansonjr
AG
Can someone ID this one?

12th Man Ag
AG
I say coachwhip.
Ag83
AG
Looks like a buttermilk racer to me.

[edit]: although the head doesn't look right. I'll wait for someone more skilled than me (most of you)....

[edit#2]: I'll go with 12th Man...that head...
Badace52
AG
12th Man Ag said:

I say coachwhip.

Correct.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
Robk
Been a good snake year.
Greybanded kingsnakes were plentiful
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mmLtsU][/url]Observatory 5 by Rob Klockman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mmGHcd][/url]Observatory 4 by Rob Klockman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2miWa8D][/url]Alterna by Rob Klockman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mbKsFW][/url]limpia by Rob Klockman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mbAv2n][/url]Limpia by Rob Klockman, on Flickr

And so were the rock rattlesnakes in the yard
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mj11w4][/url]Lepyard by Rob Klockman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2miUPcm][/url]Lep by Rob Klockman, on Flickr
VaultingChemist
AG
Juvenile rattlesnake found hiding under the bucket of our skid steer loader. I am thinking it is a Western Diamondback or a Massasauga.

12f Mane
AG
Great stuff Rob. That first alterna is top notch.
Robk
12f Mane said:

Great stuff Rob. That first alterna is top notch.
Yeah, one of the nicer ones I found. Female from a place that has now only tuned up 3/4 females in the past 15 years or so. It was a fun night. Almost got tagged by lep, found 2 alterna, and fell down a hill. All before 10:30.
jgh85Ag
AG
This Ratsnakes in Predicaments FB has some interesting posts.

CS78
Neighbor gave him the shovel. By Somerville.

Copperpot
AG
Copperhead. Grimes County.

swampstander
AG
We have lived in our house for over 30 years and our 1 acre yard is a surrounded on 3 sides by heavy woods. Strangely we have seen very few snakes in that time. I remember a couple coachwhips, 3 coral, 1 rat, 2 hog nose, 1 Texas Brown and this is the second Rough Green. Sorry for the crappy pics. It was a long one, pushing 3 feet.

As a bonus crappier pic we were sitting on the patio yesterday sitting a toddy and a bald eagle swooped down and landed in one our pine trees.

Null and Void
Hard to see, but there are 4 dbws in the pic.
Bullpen Chias
AG
One of three babies. Any clue?
Badace52
AG
Brown snake... Also not a baby. Average sized adult.
CM
Premium
AG
So just ran across a coral snake at McKinney Falls State Park. Scared the crap out of me.

Was standing at the edge of a big grassy area at our campsite and was telling my daughter, "it looks like people walk through there, but we shouldn't because that's where sn…."

Right then it slithered from right outside the edge of the grassy area into the grassy area.

I guess that was a good lesson on not going into that grass and to always be looking down.
DaveAg02
AG
4 DBWS and a couple of turtles- very cool shot
zooguy96
Premium said:

So just ran across a coral snake at McKinney Falls State Park. Scared the crap out of me.

Was standing at the edge of a big grassy area at our campsite and was telling my daughter, "it looks like people walk through there, but we shouldn't because that's where sn…."

Right then it slithered from right outside the edge of the grassy area into the grassy area.

I guess that was a good lesson on not going into that grass and to always be looking down.

Coral snakes are really not that dangerous based on their behavior. Their first instinct is to put their head underneath their body showing their bright colors. I think there has only been one confirmed death from a coral snake bite and I believe it involved and intoxicated person. Their fangs are in the middle of their mouth, and they usually have to chew on their prey to inject the venom. With their head being so small, there are only a small number of areas they could even attempt to bite an adult.
Null and Void
Two fish in her?
agcrock2005
AG
Hell, maybe three! That's a healthy cottonmouth.
agent-maroon
AG
What species is the snake just above & slightly to the left of her on the concrete ledge?
Stive
AG
Not a CM right?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
agent-maroon said:

What species is the snake just above & slightly to the left of her on the concrete ledge?
both are Diamondback Water Snakes - probably a male and female based on size
Badace52
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

agent-maroon said:

both are Diamondback Water Snakes - probably a male and female based on size
CM

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.