Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

354,678 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txags92 said:

Dekays Brown snake I believe.
Yep. Always forget about this species
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SteveBott
AG
THIS is a snake.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/sci/snake-crane.html
agcrock2005
AG
Holy *****
Txgunrnnr
AG
That is just forced perspective. It's a Tonka Truck with a small snake!
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Reginald Cousins
S
SteveBott said:

THIS is a snake.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/sci/snake-crane.html

Nice.
P.U.T.U
AG
Wylie, coachwhip? Never seen one around here

txags92
AG
Don't think that is a coachwhip. The ridge in the scales seems wrong to me. Maybe a Northern Water Snake?
12f Mane
AG
It's a Texas brown snake
P.U.T.U
AG
That was my first thought but color threw me off
txags92
AG
12f Mane said:

It's a Texas brown snake
I thought that might have been it based on that cheek patch, but without scale in the photo, I thought it was too big to be that.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
On the porch by the back door. West Houston Barker Reservoir inhabitant. It's momma came for a visit last week. Can go a year without seeing them and wham 2 in 4 days. Little girl and JRT just do not mix well with these *******s.
Ptery83
Cute lil CM
Coward Jimbo
AG
BadAzzBohemian said:

On the porch by the back door. West Houston Barker Reservoir inhabitant. It's momma came for a visit last week. Can go a year without seeing them and wham 2 in 4 days. Little girl and JRT just do not mix well with these *******s.

Are the spots and green tail indicative of a juvenile?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yellow/Green Tail = juvenile. The spots are indicative of it being a juvenile CM and not a copperhead.
Harry Stone
AG
looks like a cottonmouth crossbred with a copperhead.
Badace52
AG
Nah very average looking young cottonmouth, but copperhead/cottonmouth hybrids are known to occur in the wild. However, they are exceedingly rare.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TacosaurusRex
Dang it. I would have said copperhead 10 out of 10 times. So, is the way to tell the difference between a young CM and copperhead all in the tail, and that's the giveaway?
Daddy-O5
AG
TacosaurusRex said:

Dang it. I would have said copperhead 10 out of 10 times. So, is the way to tell the difference between a young CM and copperhead all in the tail, and that's the giveaway?
Still has the mascara and the bands are much more rigid, almost pixelated.
Thanks, and Gig 'Em!
krosch11
AG
New one for me in person. Caught him on a run in NB . He had hell getting up a cement curb .

MyNameIsJeff
AG
Like jdaddy said, the bands on the cottonmouth are much more jagged or pixelated. I think the scales on the CM are each either tan or brown, while the copperhead can have the color line drawn through an individual scale, if that makes sense. The edges are much smoother on the copperhead.

Both will have yellow tails. That's an easy indicator of a juvenile cottonmouth or copperhead rather than something like a dekay's brown snake. The cottonmouth with also have the dark "mascara" over the eye. They usually look a lot meaner.

https://blog.nature.org/science/2019/10/16/a-field-guide-commonly-misidentified-snakes/
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Blackneck Garter?

I'm a little rough on the garters and ribbon snakes.
Badace52
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Blackneck Garter?

I'm a little rough on the garters and ribbon snakes.

Correct... More specifically eastern blackneck garter snake.
CM
TacosaurusRex
Thanks, fellas. Also, I want to make sure I have this right, but only cotton mouths wear the mascara?
Badace52
AG
Only snake with the mascara mark so prominent in America. It has a more prominent mascara mark than any other snake I can think of off hand.

Edit: Massasauga rattlesnakes have a pretty good mascara mark too but they also have a rattle.

A few other rattlesnakes have dark eye markings too but they aren't what I would call a mascara mark (dark line under the eye)

Edit again: Forgot about Arizona ridge nosed rattlesnakes. Their mark is probably the most like a cottonmouth but the rest of the snake is very different.
CM
P.U.T.U
AG
To me it is not only the black band but the neck/head area, also how they carry their head. It is slightly different than a copperhead, I have seen several like the one in the picture so that one was easy.

Also why it is so easy for me to tell watersnakes from CM; the way the carry their head on land (on water is typically easier to tell).

Just go hunting and fishing a lot with both around and you get good at telling the difference real quick. I only hunted in south Texas for a year, I couldn't tell rattlesnakes apart if I tried. I am amazed at a few of you that know so many different species of snakes not only around Texas but the country.
BrokeAssAggie
Cool looking dude
TacosaurusRex
P.U.T.U said:

To me it is not only the black band but the neck/head area, also how they carry their head. It is slightly different than a copperhead, I have seen several like the one in the picture so that one was easy.

Also why it is so easy for me to tell watersnakes from CM; the way the carry their head on land (on water is typically easier to tell).

Just go hunting and fishing a lot with both around and you get good at telling the difference real quick. I only hunted in south Texas for a year, I couldn't tell rattlesnakes apart if I tried. I am amazed at a few of you that know so many different species of snakes not only around Texas but the country.
I hunt Texas pretty hard, but the only thing happening quick is me getting my distance.

I hate snakes… and that is why I spend so much time on this thread. It is like therapy haha. My goal has been to easily ID venomous ones so when I get to that safe distance I can piece together what happened.
Spotted Ag
AG
Friend's 6 yr old got tagged tonight. Copperhead or rattlesnake. Not sure.

Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sorry to hear that… keep us posted
Badace52
AG
Looks rough... Assuming they were probably given crofab antivenin??

That was a big snake. Where was the kid bitten?
CM
txags92
AG
Badace52 said:

Looks rough... Assuming they were probably given crofab antivenin??

That was a big snake. Where was.the kid bitten?
On the ankle.
Badace52
AG
How did I know that would be the first answer...
CM
SteveBott
AG
Hey just because tour an ER doc and know the size of the bite may matter. OB is Going to throw elbows. It's what they do.

And yes a big snake bite.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hopefully it was a copperhead…
Counterpoint
AG
Are those numbers on the lines times?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.