Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

353,483 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
AtlAg75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Badace52 said:

Eastern garter snake, non-venomous.
Figured it was some type of garter. Do they typically strike? Or only if provoked (like stepped on)?

Thanks again.
Badace52
AG
If you ran by too close they might strike. Not overly agressive in general but they do have an average amount of aggression.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
4stringAg
AG
Badace52 said:

We still use crofab for crotalid envenomations. Almost no one has the coral snake antivenin anymore in Texas since Texas Coral Snake bites have never resulted in a recorded death.
Aren't the eastern corals in FL typically more deadly in terms of the venom toxicity?
Harry Stone
AG
AtlAg75 said:

Identification help please -

My son was trail running outside of Black Mountain, NC 3 days ago. He felt something on his ankle and thought maybe a stick had hit it but then it started hurting. He stopped to look and saw bite marks. Walked back to the spot on the trail and saw the guy in the pictures. He didn't have any reactions other than soreness (bite was near his ankle bone) and think it is a garter snake.

Any thoughts?

fer de lance. get to the hospital immediately
Badace52
AG
Yes... They have been associated with fatalities but not the Texas Coral snakes which are now considered a separate species and no longer just a subspecies.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FrioAg 00
AG
Those two bloody punctures look too far apart to be a bite, but it might just be the picture.

muleshoe
AG
Spotted Ag said:

muleshoe said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Sorry to hear that… keep us posted
How is he doing?

Makes me think of Dr. Glass.

Labs are looking good. Supposed to get to go this evening if everything stays on track.
Good to hear. Hope things keep going well…….one day at a time…..
Counterpoint
AG
BrokeAssAggie
What's this?

zooguy96
CrazyRichAggie said:

What's this?

Alligator Lizard.
BrokeAssAggie
Thanks. Sucker is pretty big. Thought it was a Komodo dragon at first!
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Harmless and non-venomous Dekay's Brownsnake, if you were looking for an ID.
Counterpoint
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Harmless and non-venomous Dekay's Brownsnake, if you were looking for an ID.

I was, thanks! That's my first Dekays!
txags92
AG
When I first saw that photo on my phone, I couldn't see the legs and I thought it was a hognose all puffed up to be a fake cobra, but the pattern just looked off. Cool find.
BrokeAssAggie
txags92 said:

When I first saw that photo on my phone, I couldn't see the legs and I thought it was a hognose all puffed up to be a fake cobra, but the pattern just looked off. Cool find.

When I first saw it cross the trial I thought it was a snake.
Badace52
AG
CrazyRichAggie said:

What's this?

It's a Texas Alligator Lizard to be a little more specific. There are several alligator lizard species spanning the southwest and Mexico.

I caught one on the banks San Gabriel River in downtown Georgetown once. They are very docile, beautiful and surprisingly large.
CM
KaneIsAble
AG
Counterpoint said:

Are those numbers on the lines times?

Yes; didn't see that answered. They do it every 15 minutes for several hours and slowly extend the time between marks. I'm betting rattle snake.
dstarr6442
AG
Sprawling Horseweed. T&P if that's your yard
Null and Void

She's been lying in the same spot for at least 6 hours.
agcrock2005
AG
YBWS?
Daddy-O5
AG
DBWS
Thanks, and Gig 'Em!
12th Man Ag
AG
Plain banded water snake?
Badace52
AG
J_Daddy05 said:

DBWS
CM
12th Man Ag
AG
Badace52 said:

J_Daddy05 said:

DBWS

Dang it! Always miss these water snakes.
agcrock2005
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Badace52 said:

J_Daddy05 said:

DBWS

Dang it! Always miss these water snakes.
Same.
3 Toed Pete
AG
What's the tell regarding the last snake and whether it's a water snake or CM? You can't really see much of the head except you do get something of a shot at the eyes in the first pic. Can't see underside. Is it more about just recognizing the consistent pattern the length of the snake?

Thanks
vander54
S
3 Toed Pete said:

What's the tell regarding the last snake and whether it's a water snake or CM? You can't really see much of the head except you do get something of a shot at the eyes in the first pic. Can't see underside. Is it more about just recognizing the consistent pattern the length of the snake?

Thanks

Pattern is biggest key but size also can play a roll.
Mr President Elect
AG
I don't know how some of you guys are missing this one. I feel like this exact snake has been posted on this thread about 10 times. Seems like there are 4 of them always hanging out in the same spot, and this is the bigger one of the bunch.

The head on this one in general makes it pretty easy to tell for me (in this set of pics), the "neck" is pretty much the same width as the head. And then there are some other pics of it on here where it's color pattern is very pronounced that make the dbws distinction much easier.
Null and Void
Yep... nailed it. Counted 11 dbws in this retention pond earlier this year when the weather warmed up. Have recently only seen 5.
Badace52
AG
The things mentioned above such as pattern and head to neck ratio are useful. However snakes that are aggravated will flatten out their head to look larger and mimic their venomous counterparts.

The general length to body width ratio is much greater in large water snakes than large cottonmouths. Smaller snakes are more difficult to tell apart using this distinction.

In the pictures it is hard to tell but water snakes eyes are also higher up on the head giving them a googly-eyed appearance. This is more noticeable in larger specimens and the DBWS species has its eyes higher up on the head than other water snake species since it is the most aquatic of the water snakes in our area.

Cottonmouths also have vertical pupil slits whereas water snakes have rounded pupils, but this can be hard to see in cottonmouths as they have dark eyes. Most water snakes have a lighter eye color.
CM
3 Toed Pete
AG
Badace52 said:

The things mentioned above such as pattern and head to neck ratio are useful. However snakes that are aggravated will flatten out their head to look larger and mimic their venomous counterparts.

The general length to body width ratio is much greater in large water snakes than large cottonmouths. Smaller snakes are more difficult to tell apart using this distinction.

In the pictures it is hard to tell but water snakes eyes are also higher up on the head giving them a googly-eyed appearance. This is more noticeable in larger specimens and the DBWS species has its eyes higher up on the head than other water snake species since it is the most aquatic of the water snakes in our area.

Cottonmouths also have vertical pupil slits whereas water snakes have rounded pupils, but this can be hard to see in cottonmouths as they have dark eyes. Most water snakes have a lighter eye color.
Thanks for the explanation. I did enlarge the head to try to get a better look at the eyes but that and the pattern were the only things I could see that might determine the identity and that still wasn't a slam dunk for my novice eyes.
3 Toed Pete
AG
Mr President Elect said:

I don't know how some of you guys are missing this one. I feel like this exact snake has been posted on this thread about 10 times. Seems like there are 4 of them always hanging out in the same spot, and this is the bigger one of the bunch.

The head on this one in general makes it pretty easy to tell for me (in this set of pics), the "neck" is pretty much the same width as the head. And then there are some other pics of it on here where it's color pattern is very pronounced that make the dbws distinction much easier.
I know this has been posted multiple times recently as the poster keeps seeing this same group in the same spot. Knowing that and actually being able to id the snake are 2 different things.

I had a PBWS slither into my garage behind some boards about 6 weeks ago. In the past I would have thought that was a WM and would have emptied the garage until I found it and killed it. Because of these threads I did notice the yellowish color coming from the underbelly (never saw the head) and decided to just leave the garage door cracked open overnight, even though I'm sure it still could have gotten out.
4stringAg
AG
On the water snake vs cottonmouth ID, you have to be absolutely sure. To do this, you put your face down as near as possible to the snake's head so you can see if the pupils in the eyes are vertical slits or round.
jgh85Ag
AG
Or let it bite your arm. 2 holes, water moccasin, many holes, water snek.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
The last two posts are getting close but there is only one sure fire way to know if it is a water snek or CM.

Lift its tail up and gently blow on the taint. If it turns to the left it is a water snek and if it turns to the right it is a CM.

But both of them will share stories of your kindness to their kin.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.