Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

351,103 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
coastalaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I took this two years ago

Fair Winds and Following Seas
12f Mane
AG
Location?
coastalaggie
AG
It will probably give it away, but it was taken along the Nigerian and Cameroon border
vander54
S
Green Mamba?
World's worst proofreader
P.H. Dexippus
AG

Didn't notice this guy until standing 6" away after a 5min conversation. He was not a happy camper.
12f Mane
AG
That's my guess
jgh85Ag
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Didn't notice this guy until standing 6" away after a 5min conversation. He was not a happy camper.

Texas brown snake trying to act venemous?
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Ayto Siks
I always scan the road looking for pythons any time I drive on US 41 in south Florida. 99% of the time I don't see anything, but sometimes I do. Need to wake up earlier to see one before it's roadkill.

fasthorse05
I'm not saying that's not a Green Mamba, but I don't think I've ever seen a black or green Mamba longer than 12 feet.

I'm sure they exist, but that dude is easily 12 feet long.
txags92
AG
fasthorse05 said:

I'm not saying that's not a Green Mamba, but I don't think I've ever seen a black or green Mamba longer than 12 feet.

My guesstimate based on that picture would be closer to 9-10'. The head and tail are at least 18-24" off the ground, and i would guess the bottom of the coping under the roof is around 7' off the ground.
BuddysBud
AG
Ayto Siks said:

I always scan the road looking for pythons any time I drive on US 41 in south Florida. 99% of the time I don't see anything, but sometimes I do. Need to wake up earlier to see one before it's roadkill.

More pythons in Florida need to end up as road kill.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Burmese pythons
coastalaggie
AG
vander54 said:

Green Mamba?
Correct! I was having breakfast; when I looked up, I noticed a cook that was outside swinging a broom wildly at something moving on the power line. I got up and walked out there to discover he had just killed the mamba. This is the 2nd time I have seen one here; the first time, it was too close for comfort, and I definitely was not in a position to take a photo of the encounter. On a separate occasion in Brunei, I have a picture of a Cobra that we had chased from the yard; alcohol may have influenced my thought process at the time.
coastalaggie
AG
txags92 said:

fasthorse05 said:

My guesstimate based on that picture would be closer to 9-10'. The head and tail are at least 18-24" off the ground, and i would guess the bottom of the coping under the roof is around 7' off the ground.
@FastHorse05 - Rest assured, it is a green mamba
@texags92, that was our guess as well wrt the length.
CowtownAg06
AG
What do you do that you spend time in Brunei and Nigeria/Cambodia?

Good buddy of mine was a missionary in South Sudan for a while. His cobra stories are incredible.
coastalaggie
AG
O&G... Sudan, what a hell whole - guess that is why they need Missionaries there I suppose.
fasthorse05
CowtownAg06 said:

Good buddy of mine was a missionary in South Sudan for a while. His cobra stories are incredible.
I could probably handle living with the snakes in Africa, but my paranoid factor would be doubled when outside. However, I'm sure I would probably wear sunglasses everywhere since they have spitters nearly everywhere in Africa. I know myself well enough that I would be merrily walking along talking to someone and then be blinded by a spitter because I lost my attention.

I certainly wouldn't go in the bush anywhere in Africa or Australia without a machete in each hand since both of those continents probably have 25 of the most poisonous snakes in the world.
CowtownAg06
AG
The interesting thing is how casual the locals were about them. They had a cobra come into their "office" one day and get behind some file cabinets. My buddy and his coworker spent 30 min trying to figure out how to move the cabinet and get the snake safe. Their camp's lady cook, just strolled right in without a word, moved it over, grabbed the snake, took outside, and killed it. They were in shock watching it.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I've been in AGGIELAND over 40+ years and I've never seen a copperhead or other venomous snake alive.

I might have jumped over a young moccasin on a run once but can't be certain.

I've seen plenty of water snakes but nothing venomous.

I was a country kid too. Grew up spending my life in the woods.
12f Mane
AG
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

I've been in AGGIELAND over 40+ years and I've never seen a copperhead or other venomous snake alive.

This seems impossible.
jmazz
AG
Been in Aggieland ~10 years (not counting college). At my house in South College Station I've seen: 2 coral snakes, 4 copperheads (we think a Mom, Dad and 2 juveniles), 1 milk snake, lots of rat snakes, lots of water snakes (multiple varieties), lots of ribbon snakes, lots of grass snakes. Just to the west at my small place near snook I've seen: 1 timber rattler, 1 cottonmouth (during the Hurricane Harvey flooding), lots of rat snakes and water snakes. I may have missed some non venomous species but have seen all 4 venomous species in the area.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
fasthorse05 said:

CowtownAg06 said:

I could probably handle living with the snakes in Africa, but my paranoid factor would be doubled when outside. However, I'm sure I would probably wear sunglasses everywhere since they have spitters nearly everywhere in Africa. I know myself well enough that I would be merrily walking along talking to someone and then be blinded by a spitter because I lost my attention.

I certainly wouldn't go in the bush anywhere in Africa or Australia without a machete in each hand since both of those continents probably have 25 of the most poisonous Venomous snakes in the world.
FIFY
4stringAg
AG
12f Mane said:

Nacho Thigh Juice said:

This seems impossible.

12fmane, I think this is the year there is supposed to be a big hatch of those 13 yr (or is it 17 yr??) cicadas. You got your camera ready for some copperhead action?

Anyone on the thread know more about it and around when the hatch is supposed to take place? May? June?
12f Mane
AG
4stringAg said:

12f Mane said:

Nacho Thigh Juice said:

This seems impossible.

12fmane, I think this is the year there is supposed to be a big hatch of those 13 yr (or is it 17 yr??) cicadas. You got your camera ready for some copperhead action?

Anyone on the thread know more about it and around when the hatch is supposed to take place? May? June?
I believe it's the 17-year ones and it would definitely be something to see!
Scoopen Skwert
AG
12f Mane said:

Nacho Thigh Juice said:

This seems impossible.

I'm 100% certain on the copperheads. Possibly a moccasin but mostly water snakes. The only rattlers I saw were dead.

We would play in the woods and camp at Somerville.

(I did hold a rattler during a presentation when I was a kid. They held a herp thing at the old building by the municipal golf course and a class at A&M.)
StoneCold99
AG
Saw this one while out walking last night. Beautiful little snake. Wife said copperhead and she immediately got an impromptu lesson on head shapes c/o the Outdoor Board. Can anyone give me the true ID?
Daddy-O5
AG
Looks like a juvie plainbelly water snake to me.
12f Mane
AG
I concur
TheClaw07
AG
My first instinct on a water snake was actually correct!! 12F, you said a diamond back will have black outlines right?
12f Mane
AG
Yep, and they typically have orange eyes as well.
StoneCold99
AG
Thanks so much.
Bird93
AG
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

12f Mane said:

Nacho Thigh Juice said:

This seems impossible.

I'm 100% certain on the copperheads. Possibly a moccasin but mostly water snakes. The only rattlers I saw were dead.

We would play in the woods and camp at Somerville.

(I did hold a rattler during a presentation when I was a kid. They held a herp thing at the old building by the municipal golf course and a class at A&M.)
I highly advise against touching anything referred to as a herp!
P.U.T.U
AG
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

Saw tons of snakes when I was around BCS, water snakes, copperheads, coral, and the normal ones you see around a house. Our property in Carmine has a decent amount, seen the above plus coachwhip and racers. By the tank it is not atypical to see several snakes sunning on the rocks.

I live in the burbs and probably see about 50 snakes a year around here. Most on the trails by the golf course and about 5-10 around the house.

Likely you are not seeing them but they are there. I can find snakes better than "normal" people, just something that requires practice and experience. Plus growing up with copperheads around makes you watch for snakes
trip
AG
Starting to see them on my runs
Bassmaster
AG
First one of the spring in my backyard

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.