Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

353,122 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Friends house here in Denver.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
What is it? Very beautiful snake.
jgh85Ag
AG
Yep and he's trying to act all venomous. "Fear my flat pointy head!"
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
12f Mane
AG
Wandering garter snake
Scoopen Skwert
AG
12f Mane said:

Wandering garter snake

Thank you. I would have never guessed and suck at google.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Are those the ones that lit up Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs?

reveille23
Another Colorado entry. This one is from Eagle county.
Lefty96
AG
In my neighbor's yard. Anyone know what type?

Daddy-O5
AG
Eastern Hognose
Daddy-O5
AG
Bullsnake
old yeller
AG
Lefty96 said:

In my neighbor's yard. Anyone know what type?

Hognose. These are the coolest snakes. They'll play dead after trying to convince you they're a cobra.
SteveBott
AG
I have learned that through this thread(s).
MPD280

Third night in a row in front of my house. Probably not the same one, but my wife is not pleased that I'm not killing them.
old yeller
AG
SteveBott said:

I have learned that through this thread(s).

aggiedata
AG
whatthehey78
AG
MPD280 said:

Third night in a row in front of my house. Probably not the same one, but my wife is not pleased that I'm not killing them.
In my yard...it would be dispatched with prejudice. I and mine don't tolerate flesh rot, swollen limbs and agonizing pain.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Niece's husband dispatched him because she is a complete pain in the ass about her prissy little dog. Still trying to educate everyone that not all snakes are bad. Rockport area.

Snake had a mouse he was dealing with. Rat snake? Seems pretty lightly colored.

12f Mane
AG
Great Plains/Southwestern ratsnake
aggiedata
AG
Tell your niece that rat poison kills more dogs than a rat snake ever did. Of course you knew that.
Daddy-O5
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CRxn2mmDlx0
danieljustin06
AG
Nope! That's a man killer too.
MouthBQ98
AG
Been a fairly good amount of snakes here. I've started to Just remove problem copperheads right around the front walk and carport, the others remove themselves before dawn, generally speaking. Lots of rat snakes trying to get in the hen house.

Had to dispose of a five footer that hung itself the other day trying to crawl up and inside. It got its head tangled in the anti-hawk netting I have draped over the 20x20 chicken pen I made, and couldn't back out, and died just hanging there. Found it a few hours later.

Also nearly mowed a small black and white (salt and pepper) speckled juvenile snake. Coach whip?
txags92
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Been a fairly good amount of snakes here. I've started to Just remove problem copperheads right around the front walk and carport, the others remove themselves before dawn, generally speaking. Lots of rat snakes trying to get in the hen house.

Had to dispose of a five footer that hung itself the other day trying to crawl up and inside. It got its head tangled in the anti-hawk netting I have draped over the 20x20 chicken pen I made, and couldn't back out, and died just hanging there. Found it a few hours later.

Also nearly mowed a small black and white (salt and pepper) speckled juvenile snake. Coach whip?
How big were the speckles? First thought was speckled kingsnake, but the dots are usually yellow on those. If the "speckles" were large than dots, could it have been a buttermilk racer?
MouthBQ98
AG
Looked more like a speckled king snake but the speckles seemed more random than patterned, but very fine.
txags92
AG
Common Kingsnake maybe?
Badace52
AG
Juvenile coachwhip or racer most likely.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Daddy-O5
AG
Could it be a butternilk with the spots? Wasn't sure if they were that dark as juveniles.
Badace52
AG
Juvenile racers of all subspecies look similar (and very dissimilar from adult racers). They also look similar to juvenile coachwhips which also look dissimilar from the adult coachwhip. It'd be nearly impossible to tell a juvenile buttermilk from one of the more common yellow bellied racer subspecies around the state.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Daddy-O5
AG
Good to know, thanks.
FTAG 2000
AG
MPD280 said:

I'm a snake fan and generally a do no harm type, but yeah, that (and any other) copperheads around our house would get the shovel treatment.

SteveBott
AG
I've stated on almost every snake thread. I'm a BIG sneck fan but if there are kids or pets anywhere close venomous snakes gets the garden hoe.
billyboy2001
AG
Just hanging out

12f Mane
AG
Where from? That's a funky looking atrox.
billyboy2001
AG
Outside of Van Horn
AggiePetro07
AG
I don't see any rattles. You must have a lot of hogs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.