Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

353,749 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
old yeller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
great photos
Daddy-O5
AG
mandevilleag said:

New snek pics from a recent family trip (photos courtesy of my daughter):

from Meeman-Shelby park outside Memphis:

From Cedar Point (Sanduskey, OH) waiting in line for Maverick:

And my daughter just sent this one from Heugh's Canyon trail, SLC, UT:

edit for wrong link.
Taking a semi educated swing at these.....

1. Common Watersnake
2. Black Racer
3. Lake Erie Watersnake
4. Great Basin Rattler
mandevilleag
Thanks for the IDs! I know 1 and 2, but I'm not familiar with the Lake Erie water snake or the numerous western nope ropes.
Daddy-O5
AG
Educated guesses, locations helped greatly. I feel pretty good about them, but would like some of the true experts to confirm.
4stringAg
AG
Meeman Shelby Forest is a cool place. Went there a lot as a kid. First experience with a copperhead was there when me and my brother just casually stepped over one we didn't see on one of the hiking trails. About gave my mom a heart attack.

That water snake in the pic is nicely colored. Most of the ones I've seen around the Memphis area are faded black/muddy with muted patterns unless its a young one.
mandevilleag
Yep. We really enjoyed Meeman Shelby. Lots of trails and the woods are beautiful. We want to go back and spend a couple of days.

The coloration of that northern watersnake is striking. It's tough for a novice or just interested nature lover like myself to learn/understand all of the nuances in coloration. I knew this one at Meeman Shelby was a northern watersnake, and assumed the one we saw at Cedar Point was also, just a darker variation. I wasn't aware of the Lake Erie subspecies. I've learned a lot from these snake threads.
AZAG08
AG
mandevilleag said:

Yep. We really enjoyed Meeman Shelby. Lots of trails and the woods are beautiful. We want to go back and spend a couple of days.

The coloration of that northern watersnake is striking. It's tough for a novice or just interested nature lover like myself to learn/understand all of the nuances in coloration. I knew this one at Meeman Shelby was a northern watersnake, and assumed the one we saw at Cedar Point was also, just a darker variation. I wasn't aware of the Lake Erie subspecies. I've learned a lot from these snake threads.
I'm always impressed at how good everyone is/seems to be at spotting snakes. Maybe I'm just not very observant but when I'm walking trails and such I rarely see anything
mandevilleag
Reminds me of what my dad used to say when he couldn't find something under his nose, and tell him, "If it was a snake, it would have bit ya."

My dad would say, "If it was a snake, I wouldn't have been looking for it."
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
AZAG08 said:

mandevilleag said:

I'm always impressed at how good everyone is/seems to be at spotting snakes. Maybe I'm just not very observant but when I'm walking trails and such I rarely see anything
You can bet they are seeing you, waiting to strike.
ftworthag02
AG
?
Fort Worth at my shop. Scaled down the side of concrete building
Daddy-O5
AG
Didn't even need the picture. Caption was sufficient.

Rat snake.
ftworthag02
AG
Thanks! I had a feeling and let him go
P.U.T.U
AG
AZAG08 said:

mandevilleag said:

Go hunt in a place with a lot of copperheads and rattlesnakes, you get good real quick. For me its just being outdoors a lot and always looking. A lot of people I have been around have asked how I can see them so easily, it takes practice.
Gilligan
AG
J_Daddy05 said:

Didn't even need the picture. Caption was sufficient.

Rat snake.

If you zoom in on the pic, the snake is on just one side of a cyclone fence. That's impressive.
Badace52
AG
P.U.T.U said:

AZAG08 said:

mandevilleag said:

Go hunt in a place with a lot of copperheads and rattlesnakes, you get good real quick. For me its just being outdoors a lot and always looking. A lot of people I have been around have asked how I can see them so easily, it takes practice.

Agree with the above and I would also add that I hear them rustling through leaves or grass or their prey calling out for help (usually frogs or small rodents/rabbits) as often as I see them.

Once you start looking for snakes, lizards, birds, and other small animals a lot, you get to the point that you recognize the sound each makes as it tries to scurry away.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgCWby90CS
AG
what about smell? Can some with good sense of smell, smell the snake?
Texmid
AG
AgCWby90CS said:

I've heard that a copperhead will smell like cucumbers.
P.U.T.U
AG
AgCWby90CS said:

I barely have a sense of smell so I can't rely on that one, unless a water snake musk me I cannot smell it.

Forgot about sound, after a while you can tell the difference between animals like a snake or lizard.
12th Man Ag
AG
Coachwhip? Garter snake?

Ag83
AG
Coachwhip
vander54
S
We were on vacation for a week and haven't been able to mow due to work being a pain. We'll finally got a chance today and as I'm around the side of the house something catches my attention. Sure enough a small rat snake went into our backyard.

World's worst proofreader
agent-maroon
AG
Is it weird that Indigos and Rat Snakes are my favorites even though I've only seen them in images?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not at all!
Badace52
AG
Really?? You've never seen a rat snake? Indigos I definitely understand, but rats are everywhere.
agent-maroon
AG
Grew up in the Panhandle and with the exception of my years on campus have never lived anywhere but urban areas. I'm sure that there were rat snakes in my current neighborhood maybe 50 years ago but they would have all been killed by now.

Hognose, garter, rattlers, copperheads, and all the various water snakes but never a rat. We even find a rough earth snake every few months in the yard but nothing really interesting. But it's OK. I'm still sufficiently intrigued by trees, liquid water falling from the sky, and rivers that have water in them year round to maintain my appreciation of the miracles of Nature...

ETA - I lied. I've never seen a Texas Rat Snake but after studying some pics of common Texas snakes I'm sure that I've seen several juvenile Great Plains Rat Snakes. Even rescued a couple of them that got caught indoors. The Great Plains coloration is sufficiently different than the pics posted here on the OB that I didn't make the connection that they were a rat snake species.
TheClaw07
AG
The ticket talking about snakes this morning and A host (George) talked about the evolution of rattlers to not rattle due to hogs.
Txgunrnnr
AG
TheClaw07 said:

The ticket talking about snakes this morning and A host (George) talked about the evolution of rattlers to not rattle due to hogs.
That's why he's a radio host in a concrete jungle.

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
4stringAg
AG
agent-maroon said:

Grew up in the Panhandle and with the exception of my years on campus have never lived anywhere but urban areas. I'm sure that there were rat snakes in my current neighborhood maybe 50 years ago but they would have all been killed by now.

Hognose, garter, rattlers, copperheads, and all the various water snakes but never a rat. We even find a rough earth snake every few months in the yard but nothing really interesting. But it's OK. I'm still sufficiently intrigued by trees, liquid water falling from the sky, and rivers that have water in them year round to maintain my appreciation of the miracles of Nature...

ETA - I lied. I've never seen a Texas Rat Snake but after studying some pics of common Texas snakes I'm sure that I've seen several juvenile Great Plains Rat Snakes. Even rescued a couple of them that got caught indoors. The Great Plains coloration is sufficiently different than the pics posted here on the OB that I didn't make the connection that they were a rat snake species.
As a kid growing up in the Mid South, we used to find rough earth snakes in every water meter box in people's front yards. I haven't seen one in years. As an adult, I don't find myself going thru the neighborhood checking water meters though!!
vander54
S
We have a ton in far south Fort Worth.
World's worst proofreader
P.U.T.U
AG
We get one on our back porch about once a month
Bregxit
AG
I thought rat snake but this guy was fast as hell. Never seen a rat snake move that like that before. What is it?

Maybe a coachwhip?

Ag83
AG
Quote:

Maybe a coachwhip?
Yep
McGibblets
AG
Northern watersnake? Found in Michigan

MouthBQ98
AG
Had to get 2 large rat snakes out of the hen house after getting back from a long weekend fishing.

Snake farm
Just sounds nasty
Snake farm
Pretty much is
Snake farm
It's a reptile house
Snake farm
Ewwwww. RW Hubbard.

4 and 5 footers. They have a cool yellowish and orangish red ting to the coloration.

1990AG
AG
Saw my first Copperhead of the year dead on the street this morning. Looks like someone ran over him.

On another story, we have had two more turtles nest in our yard/flower beds. Got this better picture of one of them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.