Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

349,982 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
Gilligan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like it died from lead poisoning?
Maybe Next Year
AG
Plus one gator pic, cuz I really like 'em

1990AG
AG
Coach whip
Moc
Texags stalker

Close?

DatTallArchitect
AG
Looks like it to me
Maybe Next Year
AG
I think the coach whip is eating a racer
12f Mane
AG
Awesome! Agree on the coachwhip eating a racer
TarponChaser
So I wasn't there but my 10-year old was picking up a couple foul balls at his baseball practice last night when he came hauling ass out of the brush yelling and was pretty freaked out because he swears he stepped on this sucker before a coach went and dispatched it. He's normally good with handling snakes and I'm teaching him the ones he can and cannot grab and he'll go after the ones he's allowed to without hesitation so I'm inclined to believe he did step on it. Fortunately he wasn't tagged and a coach dispatched it. But it does go to show the generally docile nature of copperheads.

Mrs. Tarpon Chaser was there (I took our 6-year old to his baseball practice), took these pics, and both she and our boy relayed the story. He was pretty scared at the time, and rightfully so, but now he's just got a good story to tell.

vander54
S
Maybe it's just the angle but I don't think I've seen a copperhead with the patterns that spread out

Not saying it isn't one because it is but just noting I haven't seen one like that
DatTallArchitect
AG
Copperheads can have a varied pattern. I've seen pictures of some that were almost completely a solid color (almost no pattering at all). If you're just looking at the pattern, some snakes could fool you
vander54
S
I know. Just stating I've never seen one with the pattern that appears that spreadout.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I thought the same thing.

I forgot where this picture was shared but this is an atypical pattern as well.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Saw this one yesterday in a creek. I've always heard that when cotton mouths swim, their body is higher the waterline than any other snake. I think this pic supports that.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
My eyes must be tricking me but I think I see it's eyes from above.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

I wouldn't bet on it but that looks like a dbws.

I sure hope the experts jump in soon.

If I'm wrong I do apologize for the side track. But that is a beautiful picture.
TarponChaser
100% cottonmouth in rufnek's pic
ttha_aggie_09
AG
100% Cottonmouth
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Coloration and pattern is almost like a ball python!
vander54
S
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

Nacho Thigh Juice said:

I wouldn't bet on it but that looks like a dbws.

I sure hope the experts jump in soon.

If I'm wrong I do apologize for the side track. But that is a beautiful picture.

O thought dbws too until I zoomed in
TarponChaser
I've posted this before and this pic is several years old but this dude was interested in checking out my kayak while fishing on the Lower Colorado.

https://instagr.am/p/4GA55VTTcH
Badace52
AG
TarponChaser said:

100% cottonmouth in rufnek's pic
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Ok well thank you all for the correction. I don't feel too bad for being wrong because there's no way in hell I'd walk up to him and go coochie coochie cooo.

I need to work more on the scales and coloration.

DatTallArchitect
AG
If a snake is swimming on top of the water, it's venomous.
Courtesy Flush
AG
I am not great at identifying water snakes but a mature cotton mouth is fairly easy to identify because of tell-tele indicators other than skin pattern - their bodies are fatter that other other water snakes of similar length, the way they swim with much of their bodies above water and of course the black stripe around their eye. For me, the skin pattern of many of these snakes is too similar.

This snake was found in the same creek that one of our resident herps on this thread once walked about 10 years ago. I can't remember his username on here, but he is from the Victoria area.
G-Town Cracker
AG
This dude just got a haircut from my mower. Halfway to my venomous slam for the year.

Ag 11
AG
What do we have here?

1990AG
AG
Good ol fashioned nope!!

12th Man Ag
AG
Ag 11 said:

What do we have here?

One I would not have stayed around to get a pic. We see lots of copperheads and coral snakes at the house, but I want nothing to do with cotton mouths!
MouthBQ98
AG
Out of the water, they're kind of entertaining. They put on a hell of a show if you get them in the open of being a grumpy badass, with all sorts of bluffing.
MouthBQ98
AG
Digging a trench around the foundation to apply Taurus (Termidor) and I've unearthed 4 different snake species: A Dekay's, a texas brown, an earthworm snake, and I unearthed a snake you would get the hell away from if you were in Africa, but is fine here: a yellow belly Racer, who had occupied some sort of little burrow under a plant pot. That long olive colored body looks alarmingly like really bad snakes in other continents.

MouthBQ98
AG
Actually, might be 2 texas brown snakes. The racer got a bite in on me for good measure, but barely broke skin.
Ag 11
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Out of the water, they're kind of entertaining. They put on a hell of a show if you get them in the open of being a grumpy badass, with all sorts of bluffing.

Perfect description of the one in the picture haha! I rode by him on my bike, took a pic & watched him for a min from a few feet back. He was pissed at me for just being there
mandevilleag
Nacho Thigh Juice said:

Ok well thank you all for the correction. I don't feel too bad for being wrong because there's no way in hell I'd walk up to him and go coochie coochie cooo.

I need to work more on the scales and coloration.

You can grab it and turn it over. If it has a single row of scales from the cloaca to the tail, it's a cottonmouth and you probably shouldn't have grabbed it and turned it over. If it has a double row of scales, it's a water snake and you still probably shouldn't have grabbed it because they are meaner than cottonmouths and stink to high heaven to boot.
mrsbeer05
AG
Highly recommend the latest Science Vs podcast episode (S10 E4). It's about snakes and antivenom. I had no idea they used horses to develop antivenom.
AZAG08
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

Highly recommend the latest Science Vs podcast episode (S10 E4). It's about snakes and antivenom. I had no idea they used horses to develop antivenom.
SPOILER ALERT!
JSKolache
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Digging a trench around the foundation to apply Taurus (Termidor) and I've unearthed 4 different snake species: A Dekay's, a texas brown, an earthworm snake, and I unearthed a snake you would get the hell away from if you were in Africa, but is fine here: a yellow belly Racer, who had occupied some sort of little burrow under a plant pot. That long olive colored body looks alarmingly like really bad snakes in other continents.

MAMBA!!!! hahahaha

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.