Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2021

353,331 Views | 1753 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mrsbeer05
TX_COWDOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
vander54
S
Broadband water snake
ttha_aggie_09
AG
A pretty one, too!
vander54
S
I would love to see one in the wild. Gorgeous snakes
Copperpot
AG
In hindsight, I feel pretty damn lucky that nothing happened. We literally walked in front of it (through its forward path). We were easily 3-6 feet from it's head with my 70 lbs Golden on a leash. Still don't know how she didn't see it and/or react to it. My wife and just casually looked at it as we walked by and said is that a snake? Because of this thread, I wanted to get a pic. It was pitch black outside (hardly any moonlight). I snapped the pic assuming when I looked at it it would surely just be a rat snake. To my surprise, it was not!
JSKolache
AG
TarponChaser said:

Man, I can't even begin to count how much time I spent tromping all over the woods in the Navasota bottoms growing up and through my time at A&M and never once did I see a timber rattler. Lots of water moccasins and copperheads and coral snakes but never a timber. I didn't even think they got that far west.
Buddy has one on camera from our deer camp on Navasot appx 3-4 weeks ago. 4 footer. They are out there, but I've never seen one.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I know they're around Hallettsville and maybe even further West. That's a good 12fmane question... he's had some really good pictures of them in the past and guarantee you he has some really good insight.
TX_COWDOC
AG
vander54 said:

Broadband water snake
Damn. Was really conflicted on this one. Just enough of the pattern and triangular looking head to get a death sentence knowing that it would scare my wife to death in the flower beds / plants.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
Badace52
AG
They are in every creek bottom in Victoria and Jackson Counties. Just go to a public water crossing and walk down a creek bed for a while and you will almost undoubtedly see one.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
vander54
S
Badace52 said:

They are in every creek bottom in Victoria and Jackson Counties. Just go to a public water crossing and walk down a creek bed for a while and you will almost undoubtedly see one.

I'll be moving to Anderson county in November. Any snakes I need to be on the look out for?

For observation purposes.
Badace52
AG
Lots of interesting snakes in that area but as far as keeping a watch out goes, I'd put timber rattlers at the top of the list.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DDSO
AG
In my father in law's yard. Between Crockett and Lufkin.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Another reason to avoid the in-laws.
DDSO
AG
Yeah but my six year old loves snakesand grandparents.
BrokeAssAggie
What is this?
Badace52
AG
Yellow or sometimes black and yellow Garden spider

They are incredibly common and a lot of fun to throw grasshoppers or other spiders to and watch them work.
CM
BrokeAssAggie
Thanks! He was hanging from a tree and I almost ran right into him.
Badace52
AG
Well they are basically blind so it probably didn't even know you were there unless you touched it's web.
CM
htxag09
AG
I don't carry my phone when running so couldn't take a picture. But last week I was running on a roughly 8' wide crushed granite trail going through trees. One of these guys, about the size of a softball, had a web from one side of the trail to the other and was just chilling right above the middle of the trail, about 10' in the air. Was pretty neat looking.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Those guys are harmless and good to have around. They will eat a ton of insects.
txags92
AG
My FIL had bees in the wall of his garage that were coming and going via a weep hole at the bottom of the bricks. One of those spiders setup her web just off to the side of that hole and had about 10 bees wrapped up in her web. Was very cool to watch how quickly she worked when she wrapped one up.
DaveAg02
AG
Badace52 said:

Yellow or sometimes black and yellow Garden spider

They are incredibly common and a lot of fun to throw grasshoppers or other spiders to and watch them work.

We do this all the time!

https://i.imgur.com/HwxKOBq.mp4

YellAgs
AG
htxag09 said:

I don't carry my phone when running so couldn't take a picture. But last week I was running on a roughly 8' wide crushed granite trail going through trees. One of these guys, about the size of a softball, had a web from one side of the trail to the other and was just chilling right above the middle of the trail, about 10' in the air. Was pretty neat looking.
sounds like brazos bend state park. There are tons there and very fascinating to look at.
htxag09
AG
Memorial park in houston.
HtownAg92
AG
I had a very industrious spider put together the frame of a web down from the upstairs deck to about 4 feet off the ground, and over to the wall (all told about 8 feet of line) in the span of about 5 minutes the other day. I went inside to nothing and came back out and there it was. The spider was hanging at "freak out the wife and kids" level, so I interrupted the work with a burst of air. It shot back up the vertical line Tom Cruise Mission Impossible style, paused a minute, then dropped straight back down and continued working. I felt bad that I had to shut down the work by busting up the web, but I think it was trying to build something big enough to catch the dogs.
12f Mane
AG
TarponChaser said:

Man, I can't even begin to count how much time I spent tromping all over the woods in the Navasota bottoms growing up and through my time at A&M and never once did I see a timber rattler. Lots of water moccasins and copperheads and coral snakes but never a timber. I didn't even think they got that far west.

They're around, just not in large numbers and only in the bigger tracts of woods. When I was in school I found 2 in Grimes Co and maybe 5 in Brazos Co and I was out searching all the time. They have a spotty distribution west from there, mainly in mature woods/river bottoms. Interesting isolated populations at Lost Pines and the Ottine Swamp as well.
JSKolache
AG
DDSO said:

In my father in law's yard. Between Crockett and Lufkin.
j
Boots and belt
jgh85Ag
AG
Not my pic but really cool.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
agent-maroon
AG
Cool pic. Is that a squirrel in its coils?
jgh85Ag
AG
Yes.
On step 12 of 22 step BAS Anonymous program. Please donate, the struggle is real.
Counterpoint
AG
Funny that there are enough pics of rat snakes in predicaments for there to be an entire group about it.
DeBoss
AG
Couple of things from opening weekend at the ranch. Pretty sure this is a black widow. A little over an inch in size. And then also about a 3 footer to make #3 on the year. About stepped on him at 8:15 at night since he didn't coil up or rattle at all.

txags92
AG
Photo help...you need to link each pic individually.

jgh85Ag
AG
Counterpoint said:

Funny that there are enough pics of rat snakes in predicaments for there to be an entire group about it.
I joined today. Pretty cool group.
DeBoss
AG
Can anyone help me confirm the spider? And thanks for the picture help. I've tried uploading them to TexAgs and they still get kicked. This is too confusing for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.