Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

339,301 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree with 12f... Doesn't look like a speckled king at all to me. Not that that matters once 12f has weighed in.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DaveAg02
AG
Badace52 said:

Agree with 12f... Doesn't look like a speckled king at all to me. Not that that matters once 12f has weighed in.

Thanks! I am going with desert king. Not a huge difference, but at least now I don't feel stupid for doubting the label!
Ag83
AG
DaveAg02 said:

Ok, we usually don't have pets on here, but since it's a slow period and I have a question, I am going to jump in with this. This is our new family pet. I know what he was sold to us as (not saying so I don't bias your opinions), but I feel like it is something slightly different. Can anyone on here 100% ID this guy? He's about a year old, around 2.5 ft.

Black mamba. Be careful.

PS: and obviously just kidding. go with whatever 12f says...
DaveAg02
AG
I knew it wasn't a cober or a shake snake.
FrioAg 00
AG
This little babe? 8 inches long
Txgunrnnr
AG
Hognose
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Badace52
AG
Txgunrnnr said:

Hognose

More specifically eastern hognose. Surprised you saw one as cool as it has been lately.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DatTallArchitect
AG
The opossum of the snake world.
FrioAg 00
AG
Makes sense, he was warming up on the concrete and was pretty committed to that
BrokeAssAggie
Real or fake?

Decay
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

Real or fake?

Real, but it's only 3 feet long and being held close to the camera.
txags92
AG
Decay said:

BrokeAssAggie said:

Real or fake?

Real, but it's only 3 feet long and being held close to the camera.
And that is a Tonka excavator...
G-Town Cracker
AG
Every time I check this random piece of tin in the woods where I hunt, there's a copperhead under it. From yesterday:

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Maybe you shouldn't check it… schrodingers copperhead
Badace52
AG
BrokeAssAggie said:

Real or fake?

It's real. It's a reticulated python. They're the longest snake in the world. Anacondas are nearly as long and much, much heavier so they are usually considered the largest species of snake. The one in that video is very large but not record size.
TacosaurusRex
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Have we discussed the "furry" green snake found in Thailand? Assuming this is just a snake with some form of black beard algae growing on it?

Yahoo article with video

Badace52
AG
Jimbo Finisher said:

Have we discussed the "furry" green snake found in Thailand? Assuming this is just a snake with some form of black beard algae growing on it?

Yahoo article with video

Probably a member of the genus Acrochordus. They are commonly known as elephant trunk snakes, file snakes, or wart snakes. There are several southeast Asian species and many are know to grow algae on their skin similar to the snake in the video. However, that snake has the most extensive coverage I've ever seen.
Oh no, we suck again?
AG
Badace52 said:

Jimbo Finisher said:

Yahoo article with video

Probably a member of the genus Acrochordus. They are commonly known as elephant trunk snakes, file snakes, or wart snakes. There are several southeast Asian species and many are know to grow algae on their skin similar to the snake in the video. However, that snake has the most extensive coverage I've ever seen.

Are they mainly water snakes as I would assume any time on land would strip the algae off?
Badace52
AG
Yes, they are nearly entirely aquatic. So much so that if they are out on land for too long they can sustain severe damage to their organs.
SpiderDude
AG
Found this little dude chillin' in our backyard in Cedar Park...

Badace52
AG
Very nice... I imagine we will see the snakes retreat again next week with the lat season cold front and but they have been out and about the past few days.
jrrhouston98
AG
Can I get an ID on this one? Buddy found it this morning at his shop in Houston. My guess is northern water snake.

YellAgs
AG
Rat
DatTallArchitect
AG
Dead rat snake. His rats can now sleep a little safer
jrrhouston98
AG
Thank you. I obviously know nothing about snakes…..!
Null and Void
Courtesy of Texas Parks and Wildlife. Snake id?
TJaggie14
AG
I will guess: Storeria occipitomaculata aka "redbelly snake"

atleast that's what Google told me.
Ag83
AG
Mud snake
Badace52
AG
Ag83 said:

Mud snake

This.

Farancia abacura
Badace52
AG
TJaggie14 said:

I will guess: Storeria occipitomaculata aka "redbelly snake"

atleast that's what Google told me.

Google has failed you...
12f Mane
AG
Amazing picture for sure.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Really cool picture!

Anyone know what type of Heron that is? Well, I'm assuming it's a heron but not sure. I only know a few Herons (Blue, Crowned Night, Green, or Egret - which I think is a heron?) and this doesn't look like one. Outside of ducks and upland birds, my bird ID is lacking…
BuddysBud
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Really cool picture!

Anyone know what type of Heron that is? Well, I'm assuming it's a heron but not sure. I only know a few Herons (Blue, Crowned Night, Green, or Egret - which I think is a heron?) and this doesn't look like one. Outside of ducks and upland birds, my bird ID is lacking…

It's an American Bittern
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.