Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

339,350 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WLW12SPJ said:

Almost stepped on a coral snake (1' -1.5' I'm guessing...it was doubled over) yesterday 3 times. It was laying by the side of the house in a flower bed when getting a hose to water. About a foot from my foot. I was in flip flops...not good I would think. Saw it finally when I went to turn.water on. Tried to take pic, but I guess after changing my shorts I didn't hit the pic button good enough...sorry.

Went to get a hoe, but it had vanished in the flower bed. Now we have a coral snake/s on the loose in our flower beds.

Question is, IF I see it again do I kill it, or try to take it somewhere else by capturing it? It is/was a pretty snake, but I know potentially deadly if you mess with it too much.

I darn sure got lucky I'm guessing. I know they are supposed to be "docile" as long as you don't mess with them. Just don't want one in the flower beds.

I know TexAgs knows stuff as always.
TIA

I don't know how accurate it is, but I've been told that for a coral snake to envenomate you, it needs to grab a fold of skin and chew on it.

When I lived in the Houston area, one friend who grew up in Friendswood told me that a number of high school kids will catch small coral snakes and keep them with pets and make very sure to never tell their parents about their new pet.
txags92
AG
eric76 said:

WLW12SPJ said:

Almost stepped on a coral snake (1' -1.5' I'm guessing...it was doubled over) yesterday 3 times. It was laying by the side of the house in a flower bed when getting a hose to water. About a foot from my foot. I was in flip flops...not good I would think. Saw it finally when I went to turn.water on. Tried to take pic, but I guess after changing my shorts I didn't hit the pic button good enough...sorry.

Went to get a hoe, but it had vanished in the flower bed. Now we have a coral snake/s on the loose in our flower beds.

Question is, IF I see it again do I kill it, or try to take it somewhere else by capturing it? It is/was a pretty snake, but I know potentially deadly if you mess with it too much.

I darn sure got lucky I'm guessing. I know they are supposed to be "docile" as long as you don't mess with them. Just don't want one in the flower beds.

TIA

I don't know how accurate it is, but I've been told that for a coral snake to envenomate you, it needs to grab a fold of skin and chew on it.

When I lived in the Houston area, one friend who grew up in Friendswood told me that a number of high school kids will catch small coral snakes and keep them with pets and make very sure to never tell their parents about their new pet.
They can envenomate you somewhat easier than that, but they don't have hollow fangs to inject it like the other three of the big 4. Unless it has changed recently, no human has ever died from a bite from a Texas Coral Snake.
txags92
AG
eric76 said:

WLW12SPJ said:

TIA

We never caught them and kept them as pets when I was growing up there, but they were not uncommon to find and harass along Cowart's Creek.
maroon barchetta
txags92 said:

eric76 said:

WLW12SPJ said:

TIA

They can envenomate you somewhat easier than that, but they don't have hollow fangs to inject it like the other three of the big 4. Unless it has changed recently, no human has ever died from a bite from a Texas Coral Snake.

They make you miserable and you feel like you are on fire, as described by my cousin's husband (at the time) who was bitten between the thumb and forefinger.
MouthBQ98
AG
Wife finally saw a copperhead on our place this morning. I was starting to think this drought had run them off.
BCO07
AG
The boy pounces on any snake he finds once I give him the ok
MouthBQ98
AG
Cool. This drought has sent them to low ground near the creeks I think. Haven't seen one in weeks.
AtlAg05
AG

8 month old GSD found this one in the back, got him inside before he could "play" with it. Probably about 3 feet long.
maroon barchetta
AtlAg05 said:

8 month old GSD found this one in the back, got him inside before he could "play" with it. Probably about 3 feet long.

What kind is it?
Badace52
AG
Awesome snake... Location?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
AG
It is a common kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula) Probably of the Eastern Kingsnake subspecies.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
AtlAg05
AG
Outside Atlanta, GA.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
This is not a rat snake even though it was higher than my hat. We were walking the dogs and I was on the phone and this white bird flew right at me. Sort of shocked until he landed in the cedar. It was like he wanted to be around people but would not come close enough to get him to light on me. Hope he finds a fellow escapee for company.
agcrock2005
AG
Badace52
AG
A feral budgerigar. More commonly called parakeets in the U.S. It is definitely not the wild type coloration either. That color was bred in.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Got closer than I should have on a hike in La Fortuna this weekend. One of world's fastest strikers

Daddy-O5
AG
Awesome, beautiful eyelash viper. Too close for comfort though indeed!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Badace52 said:

A feral budgerigar. More commonly called parakeets in the U.S. It is definitely not the wild type coloration either. That color was bred in.
Funny in that my son lost two of the green variety back in the day. We use to hang the cage up outside on some nice days and our babysitter did that on a windy day. Came out later to find the cage on the ground and bird (Zebra) was gone. Son took it well but my M-I-L bought another one and the second incident the bottom of the cage fell off, apparently when it was cleaned, the clasps weren't put on well enough and Zebra II was free to roam.

We were out of the parakeet ownership after that one.
tk111
AG
Badace52 said:

Growing up in Katy I remember there being quite the flock of budgies in Cullen Park. Seemed to be the place to release them before going off to college.
WestTexAg12
AG
Dog got bit by a copperhead this morning. I quickly disposed of it with a shovel. Waiting to confirm if it's a dry bite or not. This is the same dog that got bit last August by a copperhead and he swelled up real bad had to take him to the ER then for a $1200 bill.

10 minutes after bite

1 hour after the bite and 2 Benadryl

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Not a vet but zero swelling after this long would probably indicate a dry bite. Hopefully that's the case!
WestTexAg12
AG
1 1/2 hours after the bite with 50mg Benadryl (60 lb dog).
Left aide is swelling a little bit more now. It's still not as bad as last year, but I may take him in just in case. It was an adolescent copperhead with a green tail, so it shouldn't have been that much venom.

Last year

https://i.imgur.com/m1pOhhK.mp4
TacosaurusRex
Poor pup.

Also, for future reference. Nationwide pet insurance covers snake bites. I know this will probably cause a debate, but so far I have come out ahead having my GSP covered.
WestTexAg12
AG
TacosaurusRex said:

Poor pup.

Also, for future reference. Nationwide pet insurance covers snake bites. I know this will probably cause a debate, but so far I have come out ahead having my GSP covered.

I may have to start doing this. So far, in his 2.5 year life span, I've had
(2) copperhead bites
(2) times running through barbed wire chasing jackrabbits while hunting

I'm sure he will do something else
Stive
AG
Maybe I just grew up in a poor house but we never took snake bit dogs to the vet. We were in East Texas so no rattler issues but when a dog got bit, they hung out swollen and lethargic for a couple of days but it wore off and they moved on. I can think of 3 that we had but at one time or another.

Rattlesnake bites I can totally see dealing with differently.
TacosaurusRex
WestTexAg12 said:

TacosaurusRex said:

Poor pup.

I may have to start doing this. So far, in his 2.5 year life span, I've had
(2) copperhead bites
(2) times running through barbed wire chasing jackrabbits while hunting

I'm sure he will do something else

Yep. You have to love GSP's. Mine did the same with the barbed wire. I carry the 3M liquid bandage in all my trucks now, it does great at stopping the bleeding until you can get them into town.
TacosaurusRex
Stive said:

Maybe I just grew up in a poor house but we never took snake bit dogs to the vet. We were in East Texas so no rattler issues but when a dog got bit, they hung out swollen and lethargic for a couple of days but it wore off and they moved on. I can think of 3 that we had but at one time or another.

Just all depends on the dog. We have had some where it was benadryl and rest, then some like this.

WestTexAg12
AG
Stive said:

I sat around for 2 hours on the first snakebite thinking the same thing. His face swelled up real bad though and my wife begged me to take him in. After the bloodwork, I'm glad I did. The vet said if his blood smear was at 50% or lower, he recommends no antivenin. At 70%, he starts to really recommend it. Ronin was at 93% on the blood smear that night.

I like to be on the safe side since I think my wife loves this dog more than me sometimes.
WestTexAg12
AG
TacosaurusRex said:

Stive said:

Just all depends on the dog. We have had some where it was benadryl and rest, then some like this.

Was that copperhead or rattler?
TacosaurusRex
Rattler got her. Sticking her nose where it didn't belong will do that.
HoldMyBeer
AG
Gulf Coast GSP club holds desnaking classes each year, typically right before bird season. Worth the $50 and 30 minutes. The Houston one is at Westside Airport. Pointers are naturally just curious.
WestTexAg12
AG
HoldMyBeer said:

Gulf Coast GSP club holds desnaking classes each year, typically right before bird season. Worth the $50 and 30 minutes. The Houston one is at Westside Airport. Pointers are naturally just curious.

He may naturally desnake himself after a couple more bites! He sure didn't like this last one. He was really jumpy and pissed when I approached him right after he was bit.
HoldMyBeer
AG
Pain is a serious motivation. They use an e collar for desnaking, and give them a solid jolt. After the second one, the dog is headed the opposite direction from the snake.
jgh85Ag
AG
A friend took these at Pedernales Falls SP.

Ribbon?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.