Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

337,783 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by BQ_00
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Neighborhood Facebook dubbed him "Danger Noodle".

Need to verify it's a water snake to calm the crowd down.
Daddy-O5
AG
Plain belly water snake. Absolutely not a "danger noodle". Next Door militia can safely stand down.
Badace52
AG
aggiedata said:

What do we have here? This guy slithered back in the bayou but the neighborhood has a debate on what it is. I say a water snake.

Ha... yeah. Very obviously a water snake. Nerodia erythrogaster probably the PBWS subspecies phenotype.

About as dangerous as a pool noodle.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdoc84
I got lucky and a gardener turned the corner and I asked him if he had a shovel. I keep redirecting the coral snake until he showed up. I stalled about a minute and got lucky. No clue what I would have done if the guy didn't shoe up.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Viewing on mobile and several drinks deep but it looks like a PBWS
ATX_AG_08
AG
I'm not blaming you for killing it at all, but I've never seen an aggressive coral snake. They're usually pretty docile. Probably startled and scared.
Badace52
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

I'm not blaming you for killing it at all, but I've never seen an aggressive coral snake. They're usually pretty docile. Probably startled and scared.
I have to agree with this. I also wouldn't blame someone for killing a coral snake near their home. It should be noted that there has never been a documented death related to a Texas Coral snake bite. Eastern Coral Snakes and Arizona coral snakes have both been documented to have caused fatalities but not Texas Coral Snakes. It should also be noted that the three species ranges do not overlap.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
Badace52 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

I have to agree with this. I also wouldn't blame someone for killing a coral snake near their home. It should be noted that there has never been a documented death related to a Texas Coral snake bite. Eastern Coral Snakes and Arizona coral snakes have both been documented to have caused fatalities but not Texas Coral Snakes. It should also be noted that the three species ranges do not overlap.

I know one person who has been bitten by a coral snake.

He did not die but he was in a LOT of pain on the way to the hospital and felt like he was on fire.
agdoc84
Yes, my issue was there are about 20 kids on the block and I didn't want one of the kids getting hurt. The snake was headed for a yard where kids were playing a few minutes earlier. Beautiful snake though.
2aggiesmom

This little guy was inside. I know it is harmless , but someone identify? Our dogs were very curious. We have seen three or four similar sized in our yard recently, and rehomed this fellow. We have lived here 31 years, and this is the first year we have seen so many snakes.
12th Man Ag
AG
2aggiesmom said:

This little guy was inside. I know it is harmless , but someone identify? Our dogs were very curious. We have seen three or four similar sized in our yard recently, and rehomed this fellow. We have lived here 31 years, and this is the first year we have seen so many snakes.

Looks like Texas Brown Snake.
Badace52
AG
12th Man Ag said:

2aggiesmom said:

Looks like Texas Brown Snake.
BCO07
AG
Wonder why brown snakes like to come inside so much. There have been a few pictures of them in a house here. We have had 2 in the house the last couple months and another couple in my office
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Prolly shelter, and food.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
SteveBott
AG
Anyone of the experts want to guess? American native

Daddy-O5
AG
California Red Sided Garter Snake.
SteveBott
AG
Duplicate post
SteveBott
AG
Google has it as San Francisco garter.
12th Man Ag
AG
I would have guessed some type of garter snake, but that is as far as I would have gotten!
Daddy-O5
AG
I'm sure they're closely related; I wouldn't even begin to argue San Francisco vs/ California. I'd just heard of the California Red Sided before from similar photos.
BrokeAssAggie
SteveBott said:

Google has it as San Francisco garter.
guess it slivers to the far left...
12f Mane
AG
SteveBott said:

Anyone of the experts want to guess? American native

Both of those pictures are incredibly over-saturated.

They are neat snakes though. These are two different subspecies from the central/northern California coast.
SnowboardAg
AG
Any ideas what this is? Houston area. Hognose?

maroon barchetta
Looks like it to me.
Badace52
AG
SnowboardAg said:

Any ideas what this is? Houston area. Hognose?

Correct... Eastern Hognose more specifically.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Texas Cobra
P.U.T.U
AG
I grew up in Houston and never saw a freaking hognose out of the hundreds of snakes I saw.
Null and Void
Afternoon siesta
agcrock2005
AG
DBWS?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
agcrock2005 said:

DBWS?
Null and Void lives near Diamondback Water Snake Lake
Null and Void
Yes, sadly all the snake pics I post are DBWS. They appear to be the only snakes living in our subdivision's small retention ponds.
garsnare
Slowinski"s Corn Snake from the Big Thicket a few days ago

12f Mane
AG
Dang, that's badass. Out during the day?
maroon barchetta
Beautiful creature.
garsnare
About 10 am. It stayed there for about 15 minutes before easing into the undergrowth. First one I have seen in person.

I have several really good videos of it, but I can't seem to post them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.