Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2022

342,247 Views | 1833 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by BQ_00
DaveAg02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BadAzzBohemian said:

Sealy Prarie

DBWS. right?
Badace52
AG
Wow... Look at the color on that thing!!
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Badace52
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Really good looking snake.
MouthBQ98
AG
Busted!

MouthBQ98
AG
Not sure why it insists on posting them upside down
Stive
AG
THIEF!!!!
MouthBQ98
AG
He looks smaller in that last picture because I am standing and my hand is hip high.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Your hand looks like Dad's everytime you post a pic... gets me everytime, "Dad went to [MouthBQ's] house today?"

Anyhoo, good catch - were your birds squawking?
NoahAg
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Terrible picture, I know…. Had a 6' Indigo basking right by the road this morning when I was loading feeders. I had a choice of getting a good picture or catching it and unfortunately, didn't do either… my 9 year old was quite concerned with me trying to catch this "giant" snake, although she should be used to it by now.
3 snipers and 5 bighorn sheep
Let's go, Brandon!
MouthBQ98
AG
They don't fuss too much surprisingly.
jgh85Ag
AG
Gotta be a rat?
Daddy-O5
AG
Looks like a black racer to me.
12f Mane
AG
Same
CowtownAg06
AG
If we're expanding to other reptiles.

12f Mane
AG
Juvenile five-lined or broadhead skink. Tough to tell the two different species apart at that age.
txags92
AG
Cottonmouth laying next to one of our overgrown monitoring wells on the Keesler AFB golf course…

agcrock2005
AG
I'm assuming you saw other parts of it to determine that, or can you ID one with this pic?
12f Mane
AG
That thing could use a meal or two
DatTallArchitect
AG
The pattern is right
MyNameIsJeff
AG
It doesn't scream cottonmouth to me, but I don't know what else it would be. The pattern seems a little lighter than most are when the pattern is still that well defined.
Daddy-O5
AG
Tail end looks a little like a DBWS to me. But the pattern on the main portion of his body looks CM. I wasn't 100% convinced either, so that's usually when I keep my mouth shut.
agcrock2005
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

The pattern is right
I googled "cottonmouth" and then "Texas cottonmouth" and none of the pictures look like this guy. Most are much darker. I love this thread and just trying to learn how he knew.
DatTallArchitect
AG
agcrock2005 said:

DatTallArchitect said:

The pattern is right
I googled "cottonmouth" and then "Texas cottonmouth" and none of the pictures look like this guy. Most are much darker. I love this thread and just trying to learn how he knew.
Don't confuse color with pattern. The color can get lighter or darker. There have been pictures posted where the color of the cottonmouth is so dark that you can't pick up the pattern and barely see the mascara. 12f maine and BadAce can add more
txags92
AG
agcrock2005 said:

DatTallArchitect said:

The pattern is right

This is not in Texas. It is right on the edge of the back bay marsh and Biloxi, MS. Right nearby, we got this pic of a CM along the bulkhead that has that same lighter color and pattern. The one posted above is smaller and probably a juvenile.

Courtesy Flush
AG
Amazing how their bodies float ABOVE the water. They couldn't be any more above the water if they were a swimming pool noodle
agcrock2005
AG
I can tell that's one! He looks like a huge *******! (AKA: mascara!).
Vepp
Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. 3rd time this month I've come frighteningly close to stepping on one. Lake Georgetown.

My POV

Better look

Classic Camoflague - I came within 2 feet before I stopped short.

&ct=g

Education: https://www.desertusa.com/reptiles/western-diamondback-rattlesnake.html
maroon barchetta
Did he rattle?
Vepp
No, he quickly sensed my heat though (running) and slithered off into the bush. Video:
MouthBQ98
AG
While we are on pit vipers, finally found one. It's a little cooler and more humid after a bit of rain so a few might be out again here.

maroon barchetta
Purty
zooguy96
Caught this guy on the road a couple of weeks ago. Holding in one hand and shifting and driving with the other hand. He was flailing around a good bit. Had forgotten about this thread. Too busy working during the summer (teacher) saving up for a food trailer.

MyNameIsJeff
AG
I'll bite. Night snake?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Vepp said:

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake. 3rd time this month I've come frighteningly close to stepping on one. Lake Georgetown.

My POV

Better look

Classic Camoflague - I came within 2 feet before I stopped short.

&ct=g

Education: https://www.desertusa.com/reptiles/western-diamondback-rattlesnake.html
My nightmare is riding 20 mph down a trail on my mountain bike and just cruising right over something like this, realizing it too late, trying to stop, then not trying to stop, then crashing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.